Guess The Iron Maiden Song!

Clue 1:
I know where I'm going...

Clue 2:
The song deals with a subject matter that is by no means unique in the Maiden catalogue.

Clue 3:
If you take the lyrics literally (and paid attention at school), there’s a part of the tale that defies logic.

Clue 4:
In the song lyrics, you will find the names of songs by David Bowie, Neil Young and Sabaton.

Clue 5:
A specific detail related to one release of the song nods to a band Maiden have covered.

Pain and misery: Run to the Hills, The Prisoner, The Wicker Man, That Girl, More Tea Vicar, From Here to Eternity, The Talisman, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Empire of the Clouds, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, The Apparition Stratego, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Run Silent Run Deep, Be Quick or be Dead

Clue 1:

Clue 2:
The song deals with a subject matter that is by no means unique in the Maiden catalogue.

Clue 3:
If you take the lyrics literally (and paid attention at school), there’s a part of the tale that defies logic.

Clue 4:
In the song lyrics, you will find the names of songs by David Bowie, Neil Young and Sabaton.

Clue 5:
A specific detail related to one release of the song nods to a band Maiden have covered.

Clue 6:
Perhaps rather surprisingly, a difference of opinion arose over the song within the Maiden camp.

Pain and misery: Run to the Hills, The Prisoner, The Wicker Man, That Girl, More Tea Vicar, From Here to Eternity, The Talisman, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Empire of the Clouds, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, The Apparition Stratego, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Run Silent Run Deep, Be Quick or be Dead, The Clansman, 2 Minutes to Midnight

"Flight of Icarus" is the song. These were the clues:

Clue 1:

Lyric from
"The Prisoner": In the Greek myth the song is based on, Icarus and his father were prisoners of King Minos, trying to escape imprisonment. They knew where they were going...

Clue 2:

Flight, aviation. "Aces High", "Tailgunner", "Empire of the Clouds" spring to mind (probably more songs too cover this topic).

Clue 3:

If young ascend into the atmosphere, you'll find that the temperature actually drops significantly, and your wings won't turn to ashes. If you leave the atmosphere though, and actually end up too close to the sun, you will not fall to the ground, as there will be no gravity out there.

Clue 4:

"Ashes to Ashes". "Old Man". "Father".

Clue 5:

On the "Flight of Icarus" single cover, Derek Riggs depicted Icarus similar to how Icarus looks in Led Zeppelin's Swan Song label logo.

Clue 6:
Perhaps rather surprisingly, a difference of opinion arose over the song within the Maiden camp.

Despite being chosen as the first single from the album, Steve wasn't too pleased with it: He thought the studio version's AOR type of groove was too slow for Maiden.

Back