GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Both albums are classics.

Although Powerslave contains four of the best metal songs of all time, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is better as a whole piece imo.

Aces High - classic for the ages!
2MTM - classic for the ages!
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) - good instrumental.
FOTB - I'm not a big fan of the verses and why no solo/s... Great riff, chorus and harmonies.
The Duellists - great song with essential parts of Maiden in it.
BITV - the only weak thing is the chorus.
Powerslave - classic for the ages!
ROTAM - classic for the ages!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moonchild - one of Maiden's best openers.
Infinite Dreams - a true gem.
CIPWM - classic! Great single.
TETMD - classic!
SSOASS - classic! Fantastic epic.
The Prophecy - if I have to choose, this is the ''worst'' song in the album... Still, this is a very good song with amazing and unique melodies. The outro is one of Maiden's best!
The Clairvoyant - classic!
OTGDY - hidden gem.

These are the first two Maiden albums I bought, they have remained my favourites ever since and they are both full of great songs, several of which rank among my favourite Maiden songs as well. I give it to Seventh Son based on it having more songs on the top, top level in my book.

So it shall be written. So it shall be done.

Completely agree with @Kalata's summation of the tracks on both albums, especially The Prophecy, only difference is I'd leave out the first sentence on Flash of the Blade and I have no issue with the Back in the Village chorus.

Even if one assumes that Seventh Son is more consistent (a sentiment with which I do not agree), it does not have any tracks that can rival Powerslave or Rime. And at times it is too awash in synths. So my vote goes to Powerslave. It is raw power throughout. Plus, the textured cover on the original LP is fukkin great.

I mean, yeah, seriously, is there any other album cover that would so brashly and openly say "our common experience is that we've been having our heads drowned down in various toilets over the past decade at least, so we decided to start a band"?

Oh my oh my oh my,
Could LooseCannon declare a tie?
He has yet to choose
He could make Powerslave lose
Or make those who tout the lesser album cry!

Powerslave is my favourite album ever by any band, so it absolutely gets my vote.

That said, "Seventh Son" probably occupies the #2 spot at that very same list, so I think either album is a worthy winner.

Powerslave has come back from the dead to pull ahead. Down by eight, now up by one.

At least the final GMAC battle has been one for the ages! Are there more votes!

When we see a no Maiden version of this tournament, we need to be prepared for new upsets though. The charm of a cup tournament is that minnows can go far through a fortunate draw and a surprise win. Also, some favourites were eliminated by the finalists well before the semis. Master of Puppets probably would've beaten anything in its way had it not been eliminated by Powerslave. I very much doubt we'd see a Ride the Lightning vs Rising final.

Well, like in sports cups, a lot of it is in the draw.

CL uses metrics sourced from its perpetual running to declare who's who in the tournament. It protects the heavyweights from meeting eachother too soon and it protects lesser performant from being kicked out by heavyweights too early. It is applicable to the band game where you can replace league with a band and league placements with their best albums, but those metrics can only be sourced from external 'best of' lists, sales, and such, because we don't have enough seasons of GMAC to provide classification ourselves.

On the other hand, a more random approach is fun and rage all over the thread about petty things is also a part of that fun.

Back