GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

An issue I have with the 2 modern Maiden albums here is the length. 45mins of one album is enough for me, really. I like the back end of AMOLAD a lot but when listening from the start Im oft fatigued by the time I get there. POM has the best unbroken run of songs on any Maiden album, from WED to Still Life. POM wins without a second thought.

Priest annoy me. Pantera get my vote by default.

Book of Souls is too long. I can count on one had the amount of times Ive listened the whole way through. Di'Anno bias means this isn't even a contest. Killers.

Iced Earth dont do it for me. They nearly do but somethin doesnt quite fit. SIT.

I'm surprised by the hiding Night of the Stormrider is getting, not that SIT is beating it just the margin of the victory. And to add insult to injury this must be one of the rounds with the highest voter turnout

I'm surprised by the hiding Night of the Stormrider is getting, not that SIT is beating it just the margin of the victory. And to add insult to injury this must be one of the rounds with the highest voter turnout
The funniest thing is that even the people who voted for IE think that Somewhere in Time is the better album.

Not that it will have any impact on the results, but:

A Matter of Life and Death over Piece of Mind.

Priest over Pantera.

The Book of Souls over Killers.

And, finally, Stormrider over Somewhere in Time.

The funniest thing is that even the people who voted for IE think that Somewhere in Time is the better album.

I can assure you that I don't :) I love all and any Maiden-album, SiT being no exception, but it's still the weakest output from the Golden Era in my opinion. Stomrider is just an awesome riff-fest from start to finish.

Not fair. All of us who had to listen through piles of crap in the early rounds should be given double voting rights now. :D
Double voting rights? Please don't suggest that to the GOP. I'm sure they'd legislate that for republicans only in a heartbeat.

Another reason why if we have a Cup in 2024ish, I'll be banning Iron Maiden from the game.

I'd say that's a bit too harsh - but I'd think about qualification rounds, where bands that have a disproportional amount of albums present (Maiden, Priest, IE, maybe Motorhead? and possibly others) would first get these in a few rounds shaved down to 2-4 albums that would only then compete with the others.

I think banning Maiden is a good idea, but I appreciate LC not capping the number of albums per artist.

That said, I did enjoy having Maiden in this game. It’s interesting seeing who can actually beat Maiden, and how close or not so close some of the margins are.

Or max one album from each band?
Nah, that's no fun.

I think we're just too true of Maidenfans. So I'll just ask the question, leaving out Maiden, what's the best? But that's the future, and for now...

Iron Maiden beats Iron Maiden. It's Metallica next.
Judas Priest thumps Pantera's challenge. Cowboys From Hell continues to rep the quintessential southern metal band.
Iron Maiden, surprisingly, beats Iron Maiden for the right to challenge Helloween in the Premiership.
Iron Maiden crushes Iced Earth like a judge's ruling on bail for Jon Schaffer. Dark Saga and Burnt Offerings are still in the game.

Yes to leaving out Maiden + Bruce and Blaze's solo stuff. However, 2024 is too far away, maybe COVID kills us all by then.

Metallica_-_Metallica_cover.jpg

Metallica - Metallica (1991)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 25, Loudwire 36, DigitalDreamDoor 61
Maidenfans Nominators: @Mr Knickerbocker
League 2 - Match 21vs.
AnnihilatorAliceInHell.jpg

Annihilator - Alice in Hell (1989)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Perun
Previous Rounds:
League 8: Defeated Gojira - L’Enfant Sauvage 15-8.
League 7: Defeated Sodom - M-16 - Ensiferum 17-4.
League 6: Defeated Alter Bridge - Fortress 17-10.
League 5: Defeated AC/DC - Let There Be Rock 17-7.
League 4: Defeated Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk 20-9.
League 3: Defeated Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss 24-4.

[TR]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waspcrimsonidol.jpg

W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol (1992)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 98, Metalstorm 15
Maidenfans Nominators: @Niall Kielt, @srfc, @The Dissident
League 2 - Match 22vs.
Skidrow-slavecover.jpg

Skid Row - Slave to the Grind (1991)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 48, Metalstorm 78
Maidenfans Nominators: @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 3: Defeated Testament - The New Order 15-14.

ShoutattheDevil.jpg

Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil (1983)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 44, Metal Rules 14, DigitalDreamDoor 82
Maidenfans Nominators: @Travis The Dragon
League 2 - Match 23vs.
TheDarkSaga.jpg

Iced Earth - The Dark Saga (1996)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 85
Maidenfans Nominators: @LooseCannon, @Night Prowler, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 4: Defeated Blind Guardian - Tales From the Twilight World 17-12.
League 3: Defeated Overkill - The Years of Decay 17-12.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Melissa_album.png

Mercyful Fate - Melissa (1983)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 17, Metal Rules 59, Metalstorm 21, DigitalDreamDoor 50
Maidenfans Nominators: n/a
League 2 - Match 24vs.
Individual_Thought_patterns.jpg

Death - Individual Thought Patterns (1993)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 100, DigitalDreamDoor 80
Maidenfans Nominators: @karljant
Previous Rounds:
League 3: Defeated Pearl Jam - Ten 17-10.

Part of me wants to drag the Premiership and higher out by only running two or even one match per 2 day period. The rest of me knows that's absolutely insane.

Back