GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

just some left overs Diesel?
Like I always end up saying: Ides - Wrathchild - Murders - Genghis - Killers would be a really great EP because all five of those songs are really great compositions from early Maiden. But the other six just aren’t up to that level and are in my opinion, the nadir of Maiden’s discography. I’m just not enthralled by them. It’s not that they’re 100% without merit but by and large I just don’t find myself caring. No other Maiden album has half of its material sounding so bland to me.

If I were to rank AMOLAD and POM together (off the top of my head, so subject to change):

1. For the Greater Good of God
2. The Legacy

3. Still Life
4. The Trooper

5. Different World
6. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

7. Flight of Icarus*
8. Lord of Light
9. The Pilgrim

10. Where Eagles Dare
11. Revelations*

12. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
13. These Colours Don’t Run

14. To Tame a Land
15. Sun and Steel

16. The Longest Day
17. Die With Your Boots On
18. Quest for Fire

19. Out of the Shadows

And TBOS / Killers:

1. Empire of the Clouds
2. The Book of Souls
3. If Eternity Should Fail
4. The Red and the Black
5. Death or Glory
6. Tears of a Clown

7. Murders in the Rue Morgue
8. Wrathchild

9. Speed of Light
10. The Great Unknown
11. When the River Runs Deep
12. Shadows of the Valley

13. Killers
14. Genghis Khan

15. The Man of Sorrows
16. The Ides of March
17. Innocent Exile
18. Twilight Zone
19. Prodigal Son
20. Another Life
21. Purgatory
22. Drifter

I know Killers has a well-made production, but I much prefer the rawness of the debut. Clive sounds good though.

*Live versions are better.

You mean you do not care for these songs:

Innocent Exile
Twilight Zone
Prodigal Son
Another Life
Purgatory
Drifter

Well, I noted some wonderful aspects of Prodigal Son and Purgatory on the previous page. Very enthralling stuff. Of course, taste has to do with appreciation. But in essence it is going to be hard to argue why a song like Purgatory is bad without revealing someone's own "problem" with it. I mean, it is a original song isn't it? With fast harmonies, countering rhythm guitars/bass in a way that wasn't done before. The speed of these figures, the tight musicianship, it is simply jawdropping good.

I do see how songs like Drifter can be less attractive. You could say this sort of rock and roll is less original music and less representative for the band's style. It does not have the best melodies or vocals imo. I'd say Another Life has a cool fast midsection. I dig the melodies (vocals as well) of Twilight Zone. And do not see how Innocent Exile can be as bad as the cringing moments on The Book of Souls.

Last edited:
Easy votes for Priest (Killing Machine) and Maiden (Somewhere In Time).

I like Killers, but TBOS album has better songs.

Piece Of Mind is a classic and contains three of the very best songs of Maiden - Trooper, Revelations and Flight Of Icarus. AMOLAD is a modern day classic - all killer, no filler! Although the classics in POM are timeless (maybe only FTGGOG can rival them), I voted for the album which is better as a whole piece.

Let me ask you something, I've been reading a lot in the newspapers and the magazines about the first Rage Against the Machine album, and I was reading one article in particular about an organisation, you might have heard of them before, called the G.M.A.C., and I read that they said that they think So Far So Good... So What is a better album than the first Rage Against the Machine album.

Now this is coming from an organisation called "Maidenfans", now I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like some sort of goddamn bunch of internet nerds if you ask me. Well this is for that whole bunch because they can suck me, suck me, eat me raw!
Hey I get this reference!

Ok, for me Piece of Mind over AMOLAD

Maybe nostalgia (i bought POM the day of release), but I prefer the younger energy and love the deeper tracks too (tracks played less live) AMOLAD is a great album, but harder to listen to in one sitting (for me) than POM (yes, I know POM is shorter)

Priest over Pantera. Simply because I have never really got into Pantera but absolutely love early/mid Priest

Killers over TBOS. Killers is the album that inspired me to learn bass guitar. Ferocious rhythm section on Killers, unparalleled before or after!

SIT over Iced Earth. Again maybe nostalgia, but I saw Maiden twice on the original SIT tour in the UK, and you just cannot compete with memories like that \m/

Last edited:
While Book of Souls is impressive, Killers is an agressive, driving classic from Hell!
The title track is 1 of my favorite Maiden tunes.
Love every song musically but lyric wise not big on Another Life and Innocent Exile (too depressing).
Obviously the packaging is far better on BOS than Killers (lyrics, hiroglyphics, painting), except for the front cover (Killers is an iconic cover).
To me, lyrically, musically, & packaging wise Killers is a DARK album for it's time. Think that was part of the appeal to me (as a horror fan).

I bought Killers when Piece of Mind was new.
Was disappointed with the clear plastic inner sleeve (wanted lyrics). But I loved the music so I bought songbook with 1st 4 lps sheet music (had a great interview with Steve also).
REALLY got into Killers then (learning the lyrics as well as the tablature).

Somewhere In Time and Powerslave are my favorites, but Killers is high up there.

POM is my heresy regarding Maiden, I think it's pretty far from the other Bruce albums, bar DoD maybe. Partly because I think WED is a totally ruined opener thanks to that boring mid-section.

AMOLAD also has Different World but overall, I feel more comfortable listening to it.

I hope this one isn't controversial: Killing Machine is seriously one of the lesser classic Priest albums, it delivers a lot of good but shit, it doesn't have anything the caliber of Beyond the Realms of Death or Sinner or something, and even the good songs are not as great. But, that's not the problem, the problem is that Evil Fantasies is a steaming pile of shit. That's a bad song, not a "weak" band song but like, a bad song I actually hate.

Vulgar Display of Power is pretty cool, I've been hotter on it that I've ever been on Killing Machine. It's no Trendkill (no album is, not even Trendkill) but I still love it.

The Book of Souls is my second favourite Maiden album, Empire has been my #1 song for the longest time (and I'll still say it's my favourite song if you ask). Killers is riddled with fillers as we all know, enjoyable fillers but come on. It's not top Maiden.

Finally, my favourite Maiden album (and with Trendkill gone, I'm probably rooting for this one), 10/10. Alexander the Great is my least favourite song here. That says A LOT.
Iced who?

what is Iron Maiden that is greatest Iron Maiden is? newer Maiden is

Priest
, though I’d be fine with Pantera taking this
Cut to:
Narrator: “They didn’t.”

what is Iron Maiden that is worst Iron Maiden is? older Maiden is, so newer Maiden

I want to vote against SIT just so it doesn’t keep living and kill much better albums, but it still has a few absolutely awesome tracks. I’m sure it’ll lose to So Far So Good So What pretty soon anyway

• Love
Reactions: Jer
Awful round.

The first matchup is like my first love versus my late-life soulmate.
A good argument could be made that these are my two favourite albums of all time.
AMOLAD for the sheer depth and scope. Today at least.

Priest because an ordinary weekend with someone you love is always better than a night of assholery that seemed like a good idea while you were drunk and angry.

Killers doesn’t get enough respect. It is the most badass, most metal-sounding album I can think of: all of the aggression, the technical excellence, the melody and the weirdness that define the genre. It just doesnt have enough good songs. Book of Souls.

Somewhere in Time by a mile.

Like I always end up saying: Ides - Wrathchild - Murders - Genghis - Killers would be a really great EP because all five of those songs are really great compositions from early Maiden. But the other six just aren’t up to that level and are in my opinion, the nadir of Maiden’s discography.
I said it before and say it again: Prodigal Son...such an underrated gem.
And Purgatory...great too. But IRYO. :)

I said it before and say it again: Prodigal Son...such an underrated gem.
And Purgatory...great too. But IRYO. :)
I love Prodigal son.

AMOLAD - Maiden's most consistent album. Piece of Mind has a few really good songs as well as three fanastic songs. But then there's the other stuff that I find OK and one outright shitty song.
Hell Bent For Leather - I'm a Priest buff. It's a good Priest record, and while I appreciate Pantera, it can't compete with Priest.
Killers - It's a fun album. Maiden sound hungry and aggressive. There are a couple of real gems in there and the rest are at least good songs. I can do without at least half of TBOS. It's a low tier Maiden album for me. A swing and a miss.
Somewhere in Time - A fantastic album. NOTS isn't.

Back