GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

The stream Wish You Were Here is on comes up against legit metal bands several times, including Kreator in the next round and Iron Maiden by League 6.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think a run by this album spoils the entire frigging game.

That's the last I'm going to say on this. I'll ask others to move on, other than, of course, encouraging actual votes.

The stream Wish You Were Here is on comes up against legit metal bands several times, including Kreator in the next round and Iron Maiden by League 6.
Of course there are plenty of legit Metal bands in the tournament, and it's a damn shame that Pink Floyd will sweet them aside just like this truck:

tenor.gif

Kreator will get maybe six or seven votes against 'Wish You Were Here'.
Contrary to popular belief, I don't think a run by this album spoils the entire frigging game.
We'll see about that soon I suppose.
For the record, I don't think Taylor Swift is actually in this game....
Metal elitism at its worst.

Do people hate Avenged 7fold because their brand of metal* Is more accessible than a lot of post-1990s metal? Is it something that is popular in middle schools? I found it a little trite and not just because of pop-punk flavour, I like some of that stuff. For me, the song walks a weird line between bland and annoying

(*Every album in this game is metal by definition of being in this game. By now you should be able to accept it and move along.)

Led Zeppelin ll is a monster album from a very good band that for whatever reason isnt very popular on this forum. It’s deep, varied and dramatic and belongs far closer to the premiership than this backwater league.

Pink Floyd is as well-crafted and thoughtful as music gets. Eternal Idol leaves itself open to charges of self-parody, given how this sounds like power metal almost as much as it does BLACK SABBATH. I’d way rather listen to Eternal Idol.

Do people hate Avenged 7fold because their brand of metal* Is more accessible than a lot of post-1990s metal? Is it something that is popular in middle schools? I found it a little trite and not just because of pop-punk flavour, I like some of that stuff. For me, the song walks a weird line between bland and annoying
I wouldn't condemn them just yet if I was you. They have a lot of different stuff from metalcore to prog metal. You'll probably find that out as this game progresses.

Listening to Bloodbound right after Eternal Idol was interesting. Very much treading similar musical ground. Catchy as hell, indeed, with elements of soaring and bittersweet instead of the dim pomposity that colours most power metal. Liked this teaser track more than most I’ve heard on first listen in this game.

I’ve enjoyed the House of Atreus of run in this game, enough to give Virgin Steel more listens. But this vaguely Queen song doesn’t really do it for me like the competition does.

Blackest Eyes is powered by a great heavy riff, has a catchy chorus and soft verses that are deceptively creepy. Perfectly produced and a dynamic composition. A great opener to a great album.

The Sepultura song was cool, with the great groove that you find in a lot of ‘90s metal. Also like a lot of ‘90s metal, that groove gets wasted by bad singing and an overall lack of melody. Interesting, but it doesn’t have a hope against one of my favourite post-millennium albums.

Pink Floyd is as well-crafted and thoughtful as music gets. Eternal Idol leaves itself open to charges of self-parody, given how this sounds like power metal almost as much as it does BLACK SABBATH. I’d way rather listen to Eternal Idol.
Cheers, mckindog.

9 votes for a lesser known Sabbath album (without the highly popular Ozzy or Dio), with sometimes shaky drums (Eric Singer's debut), but with bass playing by Bob Daisley, a very strong singing Tony Martin and awesome soloing by Tony Iommi (his leads were so good on this and later albums, fitting very well to Geoff Nicholls' melodic keys).

versus

The incredibly iconic (progressive) rock album by Pink Floyd, with the mighty Shine On You Crazy Diamond and the enthralling Welcome to the Machine, recorded in Abbey Road Studios, selling six times platinum in the US, an estimated 13 million copies worldwide.

Knowing how much the Floyd are loved on this forum, this is a very good result (a symbolic victory even in my eyes!), even if it loses.

Last edited:
Cheers, mckindog.

9 votes for a lesser known Sabbath album (without the highly popular Ozzy or Dio) versus an incredibly iconic album by Pink Floyd.
Very good result, even if it loses.

Yes, you’ve been carrying the torch for that Sabbath era for a long time and I’ve never really followed up. My loss. Too bad it got this match-up. It‘s well worth listening to.

Taking a different spin on the first match and voting for Zep. I don’t like either band, but their rock n roll stylings influenced metal. That A7X album sounds like them copying everything that came before.

Voting Sabbath for sure, though I’m sure Floyd influenced a lot of harder bands (including this round’s Steven Wilson offering), I just don’t get them.

Bloodhound was more enjoyable.

Easily PT.

Wow. That's 10 votes! Keep'em coming.
I was going to vote for WYWH, but I think it would be funnier if it was eliminated immediately after all the chatter.

What is not funny though is Virgin Steele losing. You let it stomp Aria, how come this Maiden worship is better??? :nonono:

Back