GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Power Trip have cools riffs and the vocals are OK. I have a soft spot for those shouty bits that modern Thrash bands use. This Katatonia song is too slow and gloomy for me. There are some nice sounding lead guitar parts but the growly vocals aren't working for me here. 'Nightmare Logic' would probably be more enjoyable for me overall than 'Brave Murder Day'.

Bullet for my Valentine are a heap of junk who shouldn't be in this tournament. If people like this band then good for them, but they're not a Metal band. They have more in common with other bands from South Wales, specifically Funeral For A Friend (obviously an Emo band), Lostprophets (Nu Metal turned Pop Rock/Emo) and Hondo Maclean (Screamo). I'd be prepared to take Bullet for my Valentine seriously if Matt Tuck wrote lyrics befitting of a man of his age. I get that everyone has personal problems but there's no need to still write Teen Angst songs as this stage of his career. Lyrically Bullet for my Valentine have more in common with My Chemical Romance or Taking Back Sunday than any Metal band I can think of. His vocals are also really bad. The screams are weak and the clean vocals are just the sort of whiny vocals associated with American Pop Punk/Emo bands. Everything about them is a messed up cut and paste from various genres by a group of scene jumping guys with no creative vision. This is not Heavy Metal.

'The Sound of Perseverance' is a strong album musically and lyrically, but as I've mentioned previously I find the vocals very difficult to get on board with. If the vocals were less screechy then I'd probably love this album. However, I do have a lot of respect for 'The Sound of Perseverance' and it's going deep into the tournament as I predicted.

Grand Magus are pretty decent and both the chorus and guitar solo of 'Triumph and Power' are pretty good. However, I find this song and others of their I've heard to be a bit slow for me. The debut Megadave album is not their best but there are a couple of strong tracks on it. I'll have to go with Megadave bias as they're one of my favourite bands but I wouldn't mind listening to more from Grand Magus. I did enjoy them at Bloodstock Festival last year (I think) and their latest album was OK.

Possessed are absolutely dreadful. I can't fathom why people like this sort of Metal, but each to their own I suppose. I'm sure some of you will have some scathing comments about some of my nominations too. It is what it is. Primordial get my vote by virtue of just not being Possessed but I'm not blown away by 'Where Greater Men Have Fallen'. It plods along a bit and I don't think the vocals are particularly interesting. Bands who make long, plodding music do seem to appeal to Perun and I expect we'll be seeing a couple of albums from another such band later in this tournament. Primordial could probably grow on me if I gave them the chance though.

Angsty lyrics don't change the fact that they are very much a heavy metal/metalcore/thrash band musically.

My brain is processing Power Trip as "discount Accept" and I'm not sure I can overcome that. Fine enough song though. I find Katatonia interesting up until the vocals start, and then I just shut off, so, Power Trip by default. It's not just the vocals, the music slows to accommodate them, and just is less interesting during that period of time.

BFMV is borderline metal, or possibly metal-influenced rock. The lyrics are juvenile and it's pretty samey. Reminds me of some of the bands we handwaved away earlier on, but it's not functionally bad. Death is metal, unreservedly so, and it's pretty damn good. Death.

I wouldn't say Grand Magus is top shelf good, but they have a groove and they own it. Very enjoyable stuff. Megadave's first outing is raw, and I enjoy some of it, but I like Grand Magus more at this stage of the game. Probably any other nominated Megadave album beats Magus, though.

Primordial is fine, Possessed has gotten old. Primordial.

I sure did.
Linkin Park I can get the appeal... but Papa Roach? Do you really had to do it? Already foreseeing the comments on that round. You Sir must be both a sadist and masochist at the time :p :D.
P.S. : Obviously joking. Although I abominate Papa Roach you're absolutely entitled to nominate and enjoy whatever you want (obviously). I'm just goofing around. :ok: :ok:

Linkin Park is too good to be grouped alongside BFMV and Papa Roach. The only nu metal band I find worth listening, despite the occasional cringeworthy, angsty moment.
Hybrid Theory was pretty good for what it was. Meteora was an almost complete track-for-track retread of the first album, and then they went pop after that.

Hybrid Theory was pretty good for what it was. Meteora was an almost complete track-for-track retread of the first album, and then they went pop after that.
They actually did another metal album after those, The Hunting Party (2014).

I like their first two albums. Minutes to Midnight has some decent rock tracks on it but weak album overall. Can't agree about the comment on Meteora, very similar style, yes, but it wasn't that derivative. There's no Breaking the Habit, Nobody's Listening or Session on Hybrid Theory. The debut is the best one overall though.

Compare the songs track for track in order and I think you’ll see what I mean.

I've heard those albums dozens of times. I get your sentiment, it holds true for the filler stuff, but Meteora does go different places at times.

Attention: There is a correction to the GMAC tree

I incorrectly entered Led Zep IV twice in my tabulations. As a result Zep will not be entering in League 13. It has been replaced by Lacrimosa - Stille, which should have been in League 15ish but I fucked that league up and missed a couple of albums. This is the only outstanding nomination as I corrected the other by disallowing the fucking compliation Motorhead album that Rolling Stone put on their list.

Mistakes happen. Clearly Led Zep paid off The MA (Metal Association).

Back