GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

ConspiracyKingDiamond.jpg

King Diamond - Conspiracy (1989)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 56
League 16 - Match 29vs.
Glory_to_the_Brave.jpg

HammerFall - Glory to the Brave (1997)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 75
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Burzum - Filosofem 16-9.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coroner_punishment_LP.jpg

Coroner - Punishment For Decadence (1988)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 60
League 16 - Match 30vs.
EffigyoftheForgotten.jpg

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten (1991)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 78
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Boohwal - II: Remember 13(ET)-12.

Deftones_-_White_Pony-greycoverart.jpg

Deftones - White Pony (2000)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 66
League 16 - Match 31vs.
Darknessdescends.jpg

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends (1986)

How it got here

List entries: Digitaldreamdoor 73
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings 16-8.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DismemberMassiveKillingCapacity250.jpg

Dismember - Massive Killing Capacity (1995)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 53
League 16 - Match 32vs.
Alcest-Souvenirs_d%27un_autre_monde.jpg

Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde (2007)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 85
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Morbid Angel - Covenant 16-8.

Conspiracy is not as good as Fatal Portrait, Abigail or Them but is still a very enyoable King Diamond album.
When it was first released, Glory To The Brave got me hooked on HammerFall. Sorry, King. Voted for Cans & Co.
Next one is easy: I don't like the horrible cookie monster vocals of Suffocation. :puke:
So it's Coroner all the way!

Wasn't Deftones one of the founders of nu metal? I despise that subgenre so thank you very much: Dark Angel gets my vote.

The vocals of Dismember are at least more listenable than those of Suffocation.
But I prefer the melodies and atmosphere Alcest produces much much MUCH more.

Last edited:
Might take my time on this one as I only have Fatal Portrait and Abigail and with Conspiracy up against an album I know well, I will listen to the whole lot before deciding.

Conspiracy simply is my favorite album by King Diamond along with Abigail. At The Graves and Sleepless Nights is one of the best opening pairs in metal history. This is a win against almost every metal band and much more against that travesti.

As I said before Effigy Of The Forgotten is a pivotal album regarding a whole subgenre and although I prefer Grin or Mental Vortex when it comes to Coroner, Punishment For Decadence is also an excellent album of one of the defining acts of technical thrash.

It's certain that Deftones kept some Nu Metal traits in White Pony. But overall this album is a definitive paradigm shift in a much more immersive, ambiental and melodic direction. While being best labelled as Alternative Metal some Sludge and even Post Rock influences that later would be way more prominent started to rear their heads here. White Pony is an interesting and musically challenging album. Its bittersweet, uneasy and weird ambiance grant its uniqueness and shaped what would be a fortunate goodbye of the band from the crap Nu Metal generally is. That said I'll still go with Darkness Descends since Dark Angel's classic breakthrough is a lesson in what thrash metal aggression ias all about.

As stated before Alcest's debut is an excellent record. But Massive Killing Capacity is, along Entombed and At The Gates first records, a superbly crafted Death Metal album that helped to define the early Swedish scene. Man... as far as I'm concerned it's a draw but this time I'll go with Dismember for historical reasons alone. Could be Alcest as well.

Last edited:
Hadn’t listened to a King Diamond record before, but Conspiracy is a pretty great moderately proggy metal album. I’m not a big fan of the shrill high note vocals, but they work within the context of the music. Good stuff. Meanwhile Hammerfall is competent but utterly derivative power metal. Pretty easy choice. Winner: King Diamond

Hadn’t heard Coroner before, but based on the name I was expecting death metal. Instead I got some pretty great speed metal with not-so-good thrash vocals. Love the neoclassical instrumental “Arc-Lite” they snuck in there, but I’m not sure how I feel about the “Purple Haze” cover. On the other hand, Suffocation has Mr. Mumps for a vocalist, as well as far less interesting music. No contest here. Winner: Coroner

Not sure how to classify the Deftones album. I guess nu-metal is the closest identifier, but the band’s style shifts around a lot on this disc, from rap metal to alt-metal to screamier stuff. It’s pretty good for what it is, though I don’t care for some of it. Dark Angel is derivative but well executed thrash in the vein of Metallica and Megadeth’s first albums, and just like those albums, the production leaves a lot to be desired. I’m kind of torn on this one because both albums are similarly OK, but in the end I’ll tip it to Dark Angel because they’re clearly a metal band. Winner: Dark Angel

Based on the band name and logo I expected Dismember to be more forgettable death metal with Cookie Monster vocals, but it wound up being more of a riffy traditional metal album with bad thrash vocals and some cut-time drumming. I actually liked a lot of the music, and the vocals weren’t horribly offputting. Alcest is apparently a black metal band, but this album is lackadaisical alt-rock with totally clean vocals. Inoffensive enough, but on the whole I enjoyed the Dismember album more. Winner: Dismember

Conspiracy is fucking awesome. The only negatives I can say are that it doesn’t quite feel complete as it ends with an instrumental (or, nearly an instrumental), and isn’t Abigail. It’s far better than Them, which is the “part 1” of its story, and terrifically deals with how people are deemed “crazy” just to get rid of them. “Sleepless Nights” may be my favorite King Diamond song. The production also gives it a nice warm feel. Just a great piece of conceptual, story-telling metal.

The first pair strikes me as pomp vs drama. I prefer the drama, and the general sound of HammerFall, so HammerFall it is.

Coroner were really quite enjoyable, with plenty going on. They remind me ever so slightly of Immortal in Masked Jackal in particular. Nice guitar sound. Definitely not a one-dimensional band. Suffocation, meanwhile, put me off with that production, it sounds like the band is playing underwater, or in thick mud. Maybe they should play Download.

I've never thought anything much of the Deftones. However, I preferred this of the two choices here, they do have some nice musical moments tucked away in there, wrapped up in a commercial sounding package. Dark Angel lost me somewhere in slightly nondescript Thrashville.

Dismember and Alcest could hardly be less compatible, so it's a tough choice. Dismember have some nice melodic guitar work. I was charmed by Alcest last time I heard them, though. I prefer their moodier moments, rather than the ones that sound sun-soaked and happy. Still impressed by this band's very visual music. Voting for Alcest.

Maybe abit too shallow but I´ve hard enough of deftones and other alt.metal bands to know I´m not a big fan of their approach on songs. :)

That's fair, I feel the same way about power metal, I just had the impression that you dismissed simply because of their status as nu-metal originators. If that's not the case then fair enough.

Conspiracy is fucking awesome. The only negatives I can say are that it doesn’t quite feel complete as it ends with an instrumental (or, nearly an instrumental), and isn’t Abigail. It’s far better than Them, which is the “part 1” of its story, and terrifically deals with how people are deemed “crazy” just to get rid of them. “Sleepless Nights” may be my favorite King Diamond song. The production also gives it a nice warm feel. Just a great piece of conceptual, story-telling metal.
Agreed. IMO Conspiracy is way more exciting and best crafted than Them. And although I think Abigail is KD's best well rounded record (and thus the best) I'll go as far as saying that I even prefer Conspiracy to it. The Eye is also a fairly underrated album (although not in good as Conspiracy or Abigail's league)

Next matches are going to be really unbalanced IMO:
Royal Hunt next faces Led Zeppelin.
This one is a wrap...
Crimson Glory (...) face Rainbow in the next league.
I'm a CG fan and like them more than Rainbow. But Rainbow is a massively influential band... they will win this one (and rightfully so).
Edguy (...) Next up: Celtic Frost.
If it's any other CF album than Cold Lake (awful) it would be a blasphemy if Celtic Frost doesn't come out on top.
Savatage draws W.A.S.P. in the next league.
Well... WASP is that ultra influential band. I think it's also pretty obvious.

King Diamond - gave the whole album a listen, enjoyable, not a million miles removed from Abigail, although first impression it doesn't have anything as instant as the Family Ghost or Abigail

Hammerfall - opinion given before, although there's a couple of dud tracks on this, I feel as an album it's all you need from the 90's euro power metal scene, when it came out it was so at odds with what everyone else in metal was doing at the time, and was what everyone else in metal was trying to distance themselves from, that gives it a charm

Hammerfall with the win, but it wouldn't have beaten Abigail, and Conspiracy would have beaten any other Hammerfall album

Coroner - Never heard these, starts off to my taste, vocals aren't great but I can hear words which is my line in the sand for this sort of stuff :lol: Interesting enough

Suffocation - rubbish

Coroner with the win.

Deftones - pressed play on this to give them a fair crack of the whip, fake sounding music with whinging vocals, when the heavier guitar comes in it's alright, probably a better track than I expected for them but under no circumstances would I subject myself to listening to this for enjoyment

Dark Angel - opinion given on this before, recap - just produced so bad that I could never get into it despite repeated tries, but possibly an album I might have liked if recorded on a better budget

Dark Angel with the win

Dismember - terrible guitar sound, vocals not a great copy of Max Cavelera, very of it's time, if I'd heard this in 95 I might be able to enjoy this now on a nostalgia level, but I didn't so I can't

Alcest - copy and paste the opinion from their other album in the last round.

Dismember with the win

All right, I'll give this a go, even though I've only listened to a very limited number of metal bands, and none of them listed on this round. Fortunately, good knowledge on metal is not needed here. :) I only listened to the songs suggested above, and not the entire albums.

I didn't like King Diamond at all, and the spoken parts in the song sounded very disturbing. Hammerfall was more to my taste, although the subject matter of "welcome to the Metal Age" sounded a bit, um... Or maybe I just misheard/ misunderstood the lyrics. :p

Coroner was heavier stuff than I normally listen to, but it was surprisingly groovy. The singing style in Suffocation makes me laugh, I know they mean business, but I can't help it. And their music wasn't melodic enough for me.

I really disliked Deftones for some reason, and wanted to turn it off way before the song ended. I don't think I'd categorize it as "metal", and I didn't like the sound. Dark Angel has a cool name, the song was too fast for my liking, and didn't really seem to go anywhere, but I chose it anyway.

Dismember was too heavy for me, and I didn't like the singing style. Alcest's song sounded like it had a good basis, but the song should have been produced further to make it fulfill all its potential. The vocals had a very odd rhythm, like the words didn't fit the melody at all. I found the song too long, but it was much better than Dismember.

Hmm, it would seem that I'm now showing my ignorance on these bands very openly for everyone to read, which is not something I usually do. But at least I listened to the songs, and not base my votes on the colours of the band members' dogs or some such thing. :bigsmile:

That's fair, I feel the same way about power metal, I just had the impression that you dismissed simply because of their status as nu-metal originators. If that's not the case then fair enough.
Thank God we all have different taste. :cheers:
Agreed. IMO Conspiracy is way more exciting and best crafted than Them. And although I think Abigail is KD's best well rounded record (and thus the best) I'll go as far as saying that I even prefer Conspiracy to it. The Eye is also a fairly underrated album (although not in good as Conspiracy or Abigail's league)
What about Fatal Portrait? King's brilliant debut.

All right, I'll give this a go, even though I've only listened to a very limited number of metal bands, and none of them listed on this round. Fortunately, good knowledge on metal is not needed here. :) I only listened to the songs suggested above, and not the entire albums.
That's good :) I figure if you listen to a song, maybe you hear something you like and get into the album or band. If not? No big deal. That's the beauty of it.

This is a decidedly non-scientific method.

At The Graves is an incredible song, even if this isn't top tier King Diamond it gets an easy vote from me.

Coroner is pretty generic while I expected to give them my vote, I found something a little more compelling in Suffocation that kept me listening.

I don't really consider Deftones metal and whatever this is, it's not good. Dark Angel is fine.

Two totally contrasting styles and I probably could have gone with either depending on my mood. A surprisingly close vote goes to Alcest.

I'm having an aneurysm. Deftones only have 4 votes. White Pony is considered to be one of the greatest metal albums of the 21st century.

Back