GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Listened to Practice What You Preach yesterday, it's a decent album but not in the same league as the Real Thing, like if you went to a Testament gig you might get one or two tracks from PWYP as deep cuts whereas at a FNM gig tracks from the Real Thing are going to be the crowd pleasers.

Not going to change my vote.

I think it ended 13-13 originally, so Faith No More has an extra vote. I think if Midnight had voted in the initial pairing then 'Practice What You Preach; would have won without extra time. Oh well, it did much better than I expected against Faith No More which gives me some optimism for the rest of the tournament.

I chose Testament originally because I liked the specific song in the matchup more. Don’t know about the full albums, FNM sounds like they could have more going on instrumentally.

If we were voting songs then I would probably pick Practice What You Preach over most songs from The Real Thing too...

Faith No More wins in Extra Time, not surprising, but Testament did good to push it to ET. Testament returns in League 9.

Royal_Hunt_-_Paradox_%28front%29.jpg

Royal Hunt - Paradox (1997)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 58
League 16 - Match 25vs.

Ecstatic Fear - A Sombre Dance (1999)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 73
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Destruction - Eternal Devastation 12-8.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crimson_Glory_Debut.jpg

Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory (1986)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 51
League 16 - Match 26vs.
Volumen_brutal.jpg

Baron Rojo - Volumen Brutal (1982)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 75
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Saxon - Wheels of Steel 11-9.

From_Enslavement_to_Obliteration.jpg

Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration (1988)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 59
League 16 - Match 27vs.
Mandrake_%28Edguy_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Edguy - Mandrake (2001)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 88
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Heavens Gate - Livin’ in Hysteria 12-9.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alcest_%C3%89cailles_de_Lune.jpg

Alcest - Écailles de Lune (2010)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 50
League 16 - Match 28vs.
EdgeofThorns.jpg

Savatage - The Edge of Thorns (1993)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 74
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Deicide - Legion 16-5.

Royal Hunt is defintely my favorite, Ecstatic Fear is just not for me.
As a Queensrÿche fan it's no wonder I voted Crimson Glory.
Edguy wins by far!
Alcest is very atmospheric and melodic but Savatage is a band closer to my heart.

I already know I'm going to vote for Mandrake again, probably the best album in this competition so far IMO.

Is Royal Hunt rhyming slang? Decent band, though, and a consistent album which is pretty easy on the ear. I wasn't sure they really fit the 'prog metal' label' they attract. Lots of keyboards, some nice guitar, bits of grandiose choral-sounding layered vocals, and fake strings, with only some occasional jaunty time signatures/changes. Mind you, I think I just described prog metal there. As ethereal and folky as Estatic/Ecstatic (nobody anywhere seems to know which it is) Fear are, I'm more likely to put Paradox on than A Sombre Dance. Royal Hunt.

The all red battle (was that intentional, LC?): this is close to evenly matched. I'll go with the greater polish and less dated sound of Crimson Glory.

Pair three: yes, Edguy.

Love the atmosphere and moody feel of Écailles de Lune , or at least the first half of it. It starts to feel tame in the last 3 tracks, even if the change is probably intentional. Savatage is more conventional rock/metal, so I expect them to win this. However, Alcest made more of an impression on me here.

I will definitely be voting for Edguy and Savatage in the final two pairings, no contest there. I will have to listen to the bands in the other pairings to make a decision on those ones.

Back