GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Where is the equivalent of Call of Ktulu and Fade to Black on Painkiller?

Painkiller has Touch of Evil and One Shot at Glory, which are two of the best Priest songs, but even that can't elevate it to the level of the album that has Creeping Death and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

You see, I'm absolutely not a Metallica fan. I don't even care for Master of Puppets all that much, I think it's an extremely overrated album. But on Ride the Lightning, everything is perfect, and I'm not ashamed to say it's one of my favourite albums ever.
Painkiller is an extremely good album, I enjoy listening to it every time, but like everything Priest does in my personal opinion it has as many lows as highs. Nightcrawler, Touch of Evil and One Shot at Glory are brilliant, Leather Rebel and Metal Meltdown, not so much. And there's just no low point on Ride the Lightning. Not a moment that drags, not a second too much (an art that Metallica forgot about right after). It's just no contest.

Battle Hymn/One Shot At Glory and A Touch of Evil
+1

''Battle Hymn'' is a too short instrumental (but it's an intro to ''One Shot At Glory'') -> fit
''A Touch Of Evil'' is the only song with a slow tempo in the album -> fit (the bonus song to the album, ''Living Bad Dreams'' also fit... even more, but it is not as good as song #8 from the album).
...but even that can't elevate it to the level of the album that has Creeping Death and For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Painkiller has the title track, ''Hell Patrol'', ''Night Crawler''.

@Kalata @Dityn DJ James

Battle Hymn is by no means comparable to Call of Ktulu, it's a separated intro like The Hellion. There are bands that do this, separate intro in its own track. There are bands who don't. Battle Hymn is comparable to acoustic intro of FFWF and not to Call of Ktulu which is a full fledged instrumental piece.

Fade To Black has its pattern and that pattern is called Stairway to Heaven. A Touch of Evil is not the same type of a song

Their function on the album, an instrumental break and a slower tempo song, does not automagically make them comparable to Ride the Lightning stuff.

Painkiller is way less diverse than any of the surviving albums. And then again, what it does greatly, straight plummeting heavy metal, Metallica does better with Creeping Death.

You see, I'm absolutely not a Metallica fan. I don't even care for Master of Puppets all that much, I think it's an extremely overrated album. But on Ride the Lightning, everything is perfect, and I'm not ashamed to say it's one of my favourite albums ever.
Unsurprisingly, this is exactly how I feel about the album as well.

Really poor style to just edit away what I said before, mate.
My point was that the best songs in Painkiller are not weaker than the best songs in Ride The Lightning. Both albums are of a high level and are the best albums of the the both bands imo.
Battle Hymn is by no means comparable to Call of Ktulu, it's a separated intro like The Hellion. There are bands that do this, separate intro in its own track. There are bands who don't. Battle Hymn is comparable to acoustic intro of FFWF and not to Call of Ktulu which is a full fledged instrumental piece.

Fade To Black has its pattern and that pattern is called Stairway to Heaven. A Touch of Evil is not the same type of a song

Their function on the album, an instrumental break and a slower tempo song, does not automagically make them comparable to Ride the Lightning stuff.
Ok, but why you search equivalents. Painkiller happens to be one of the Priest albums without a ballad and you are asking for an equivalent to the power ballad ''Fade To Black''. Only one Priest album has an instrumental and you are asking for an equivalent of instrumental (even without these type of songs, for sure Painkiller has fantastic songs)... just compare the two albums by the songs given in them. Both albums are full of classics.

Ok, but why you search equivalents .... just compare the two albums by the songs given in them.

I just did, and I gave you example why I voted for Metallica with an explanation about Painkiller being a one trick pony as an album.

Fade To Black has its pattern and that pattern is called Stairway to Heaven.
I would’ve said “Hotel California”, but yeah. It’s a pretty standard rock song construction that’s elevated by the absolute passion that backs it.

@Kalata @Dityn DJ James

Painkiller is way less diverse than any of the surviving albums. And then again, what it does greatly, straight plummeting heavy metal, Metallica does better with Creeping Death.
Music, as any art, is very open to interpretation. I respect your belief that they are not similar, but I very much hear the same energy across those songs. And I view them, in the context of Painkiller v Ride the Lightning, as counterparts.

God I wish.
You’ll get one last shot when it’s Powerslave vs. Seventh Son at the end, but I think most of the Somewhere In Time people are going to back SSOASS, and don’t forget the existence of the “Powerslave dips in quality in the middle” crowd, either. And even @Magnus is going to vote for SSOASS. So, don’t get your hopes up.

Back