GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

My take:

Ride the Lightning:
  • 4 phenomenal songs: "Fight Fire With Fire", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Creeping Death", "The Call of Ktulu"
  • 2 great songs: "Ride the Lightning", "Fade to Black"
  • 2 good songs: "Trapped Under Ice", "Escape"
A Matter of Life and Death:
  • 2 phenomenal songs: "For the Greater Good of God", "The Legacy"
  • 3 great songs: "Different World", "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg", "Lord of Light"
  • 3 good songs: "These Colours Don't Run", "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns", "The Pilgrim"
  • 1 OK song: "The Longest Day"
  • 1 bad song: "Out of the Shadows"
Thanks for coming to my TED talk, Ride the Lightning is better.

They are. Painkiller is even better than SFV though.

I think so too and I voted that way. I did think the elephant in the room that Painkiller is one of the most cliched and metal-by-numbers albums of all time would mean there are some people who'd lash out at it.

But I guess there's that sweet spot where the cliches are done just right, and the by-the-numbers nature can be over looked if the songs are good enough.

Also, I think Judas Priest are the one band who can get away with the metal cliches. They invented most of them in the first place, they're just being themselves:lol:

4 hours to go and AMOLAD is trailing by a single vote. Will any Maiden fan MaidenFans cause the tide to turn? We'll soon find out!

I retain my vote at this time. I'll cast it as we get closer to the round end. Who will I vote for? Unknown - to you.
the ”------------------------------------” option, of course. Waste of a vote if you ask me. Shit album.

In no way, shape or form was that an attack on either you, the voting integrity, or the game itself, LC. I was joking, not poking fun.

In no way, shape or form was that an attack on either you, the voting integrity, or the game itself, LC. I was joking, not poking fun.
So was I!

Metallica takes down Iron Maiden....again. Is that a hat trick?
Meanwhile, Painkiller is the survivor of Priest on Priest violence.

Quarter-Final Matchup Set:

Metallica - Ride the Lightning vs. Judas Priest - Painkiller

The_Chemical_Wedding.jpg

Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding (1998)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 54
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Collin, @Diesel 11, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @Jer, @Kalata, @karljant, @LooseCannon, @Mosh, @MrKnickerbocker, @Poto, @The Flash, @Yax
League 3: Defeated Gamma Ray - Land of the Free 28-7.
League 2: Defeated Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 24-9.
League 1: Defeated King Diamond - Chemical Wedding 34-6.
Round of 32: Defeated Black Sabbath - Paranoid 20-15.
Round of 16 - Match 7vs.
Iron_Maiden_-_Brave_New_World.jpg

Iron Maiden - Brave New World (2000)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 60
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Cornfed Hick, @Diesel 11, @FTB, @Kalata, @KidInTheDark666, @LooseCannon, @matic22, @Midnight, @MrKnickerbocker, @phantomoftheicarus, @srfc, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 3: Defeated Symphony X - V: New Mythology Suite 26-9.
League 2: Defeated Sepultura - Beneath the Remains 28-5.
League 1: Defeated Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast 23-17.
Round of 32: Defeated Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell 19-15.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iron_Maiden_-_Seventh_Son_Of_A_Seventh_Son.jpg

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 7, DigitalDreamDoor 54
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @Jer, @Kalata, @matic22, @MrKnickerbocker, @Niall Kielt, @Perun, @srfc, @The Flash
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated AC/DC - Back in Black 31-7.
League 1: Defeated Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden 27-11.
Round of 32: Defeated Slayer - Reign in Blood 31-5.
Round of 16 - Match 8vs.
220px-Slayer_-_Seasons_in_the_Abyss.jpg

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss (1990)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 31, Loudwire 22, Metal Rules 9, DigitalDreamDoor 36, Metal Kingdom 38
Maidenfans Nominators: @Travis The Dragon, @Whooten
Previous Rounds:
League 1: Defeated Accept - Balls to the Wall 21-17.
Round of 32: Defeated Ozzy Osbourne - Seasons in the Abyss 21-15.

The Chemical Wedding beats basically all of Brave New World which while it needs another listen doesn't stand up to Bruce's solo masterpiece.

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son would win against any of these 3 albums for me, and I haven't acquired the ability to listen to Slayer yet.

Another easy round.

The Chemical Wedding is a barnburner, a truly excellent album with a unique style and overarching theme, where the high points are stellar and the low points are still very strong. Brave New World was a breath of fresh air after the dire Blaze years, but at the end of the day it’s still an uneven, middle of the pack Maiden album that’s about half great and half OK. Sorry, FanTomBoftheMrKidnighterfed Halackermatax LoosrfColliniesel 2000, but Dr Jellianalata’s MrKarlosherFTBotooseYaxelman’s nominee takes this one in a walk. Winner: Bruce Dickinson

Do I really need to comment on this second match? I mean, come on. Iron Maiden’s finest record against some cool riffs and drumming slapped together with lame songwriting, bad soloing, and bad vocals. Sorry, Wheavis The Troogon, but your offering is about to get curb stomped by Dr Niallinata Jerkieltie’s MrFlackerPerusrfckermaticman’s nominee. Winner: Iron Maiden

So was I!

Metallica takes down Iron Maiden....again. Is that a hat trick?
Meanwhile, Painkiller is the survivor of Priest on Priest violence.

Quarter-Final Matchup Set:

Metallica - Ride the Lightning vs. Judas Priest - Painkiller
My anger detector is now in the shop for a firmware update.

Last edited:
Back