GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Megadeth, Deep Purple and Rush - no doubt about them.
Third one was tricky. I was thinking - which album would I rather hear right now and the result was BG. But than I looked at the CW track-list and damn... that's an awesome album. Then I thought, if someone had me choose, which one of those would I choose to never hear again - tie. So, I though within their discographies. Is Accident of Birth my favorite BD album? No. Are Imaginations my favorite BG album? Yes.
Blind Guardian.

EDIT: Also, last round was the first time that all 4 of my choices moved forward. And the round before that I voted same as Foro. This tournament is really getting weirder...

Last edited:
I´m pretty sure in future GMAC rounds there will be alot "kill your darling" moments....this round it was only Blind Guardian for me. :sad:

Absolutely, I would be happy with either winning.

I went with Death because ultimately this is a metal game and Human is more of a landmark Metal album than its opponent. Not only is it the best Death album, but it’s among the best and most important of its era and the best album to come out of the Florideath scene.

That being said, you could probably say the same about Moving Pictures and the era it came out of.

Yeah. Death and Morbid Angel, two of the great genre defining bands, came from Florida, as did Atheist, Deicide, Obituary, and a host of others.
I remember when I was like 16 or 17 I got introduced to the death metal genre by these Florida scene. With albums like Altars Of Madness, The End Complete, Human and Individual Thought Patterns. It never was my favourite genre although the last album is still in my record collection today.

Acting like you're in a moving picture, rather than embracing your humanity. SMH, kids these days.........................

The first match is easily the hardest match yet in this game for me. Both of these albums are what I consider to be the second best (sometimes the best depending on my mood) albums by their respective bands. They were both "my" albums for the band, as far as being the one that really convinced me to listen to the band. Certain aspects of each record are definitively better than the other:

- Megadeth has better musicianship, better riffs, and better production.
- Iced Earth has better vocals, more emotional songwriting, and (generally) less cringey lyrics.

The only reasonable way I can do this match is to put each song head-to-head:

Skin of My Teeth = Burning Times (both great tunes that open their respective albums perfectly)
Symphony of Destruction > Melancholy (more memorable, more complex, more interesting, both are overplayed though)
Architecture of Aggression > Disciples of the Lie (the former has better riffing by far, the latter is a standard IE thrash tune)
Foreclosure of a Dream < Watching Over Me (both are great, emotional tunes, but IE wins for pure emotional weight. This one is really close)
Sweating Bullets > Stand Alone (one of the most iconic 'Deth tunes, a filler IE tune)
This Was My Life < Consequences (the latter is severely underrated, the 'Deth tune is filler)
Countdown to Extinction > My Own Savior (another standard IE thrash tune over the second best song on Megadeth's album)
High Speed Dirt = Reaping Stone (both equally good, not great, really interesting songs that branch out from the standard sound)
Psychotron < 1776 (could've gone for Megadeth if their lyrics weren't so stupid here)
Captive Honour < Blessed Are You (honestly a very stock IE song, but the lyrics and voice acting in CH make it almost unbearable)
Ashes In Your Mouth = Prophecy/Birth of the Wicked/The Coming Cure (almost impossible. To be clear: AIYM beats any of these IE songs alone, so it should win this match, but the pure emotion and power of the SW trilogy is just staggering. I love both of these equally. And that's saying something considering Megadeth's song is 12 minutes shorter).

I'm going to give this to Iced Earth because they clearly aren't going to win and because The Coming Curse just gets me going. When Megadeth wins, though, I shall also rejoice.

Second Match is also difficult, but Soundgarden have the better overall album, IMO. Machine Head will win, and that's fine, but the more I listen to it the more I just hear some really good musicians playing blues rock.

Bruce, easily.

Rush, easily.

I'm going to give this to Iced Earth because they clearly aren't going to win and because The Coming Curse just gets me going. When Megadeth wins, though, I shall also rejoice.

Second Match is also difficult, but Soundgarden have the better overall album, IMO. Machine Head will win, and that's fine, but the more I listen to it the more I just hear some really good musicians playing blues rock.

Bruce, easily.

Rush, easily.
Ha, looks like you and me are the only ones voting for these albums.

Back