GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Out of curiosity, which version do you own? Wikipedia says there was a 2-CD version of this album that relegated Transylvania to a bonus track, and Dragon's Child actually ends instead of just slamming into Transylvania.
That’s what I had, too. Transylvania was never part of the original release, it was bonus disc material.

I think it fits the theme, but I don’t consider it part of the album.
I have a single CD version that also allocates “Transylvania” as a bonus track, but I’ve never played it the way it’s set up because I’m so used to it coming in after “Dragon’s Child”. The Iron Maiden original I’ve always thought was great but not perfect, and Iced Earth’s actually took it to the next level I was always waiting for and nailed it, so I really like it as part of the tracklist. When I get around to listening to it without it I’ll let you know what I think.

I actually haven't heard The Odyssey at all, but I have it on my list of albums I need to listen to soonish. Only reason it is undecided is Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is one of my least revisited Dream Theater albums, and I believe The Odyssey might be strong enough to earn the vote. Hopefully I have time to listen to it before the deadline.
Have you heard any Symphony X before? If not, The Odyssey is a great place to start. It’s more guitar heavy than its predecessors, but by no means is it a worse album. The title track was the band’s peek and — I hate to say it, but — they’ve been on a downward spiral ever since.

I cannot agree with this. Horror Show is probably my favourite IE but IE has a shit ton of musical weak points. As with any IE, the riffs are stock and the solos are bad. There's so much going in a single "rocker" Maiden song such as Public Enema, that's just non-existent in the typical Iced Earth song.

At least Horror Show has a proper bassist in comparison to their other stuff. IE is still a drummer and a soloist short of being even competitive to any Maiden.
This might be a me thing but personally I couldn’t care less if riffs are “stock” so long as they hit hard, and they certainly do in Horror Show. (Also some of the riffs are more creative than what Schaffer usually does, “Im-Ho-Tep”, for instance, is quite Middle Eastern).

Also, Larry Tarnowski’s solo in “Dragon’s Child” and Richard Christy’s drumming in the “Wolf” intro are so much more memorable than anything Dave, Janick, and Nicko did on NPFTD it’s not even funny.

Iced Earth - Musically okay, vocally is just pub band impressions of Hetfield and Halford (on the backing vocals), but miles better than the vocals on the other album that's been in the game
I've only listened to the track in question, but there's loads of Hetfield style ending every word in -ah, yeahs and ooohs
A lot of the style he’s using naturally generates this, particularly adding the “-ə” sound (“uh”) to a lot of words (howə, thereə). As far as I can tell, something about the power of his voice means that when he comes to the end of a sentence or word or phrase, there needs to be an escape for him to come down, and the ə is how it comes out.

It was only a first impression listen, as are all my comments (unless it's an album I know), I'm writing them as I'm listening, he's definitely not a bad singer at all, maybe pub band was an unfair term. Maybe if they stay around a few rounds and I get more exposed my opinions will change, there's definitely been a few like that, Crimson Glory for example, that got a few uncharitable bitchy comments from me on the first listen yet I was buying the album after they got through a few more rounds :lol:
When I first started listening to Iced Earth I really hated Barlow, just sounded like a puffed-up macho wrestler dude. But the more I listened to him, the more I realized how tremendously talented he truly is. His highs are so much stronger than Halford, and far more seamless. His lows are more powerful than Hetfield’s, and his melodramatic style means that when he really throws in the emotions, he does it with so much conviction that the listener is left in awe. The one thing I can recommend — because this is how I fell in love with him myself — is to just listen to how he sings from a pure technical standpoint. Listen to how he brings his voice up to hit the high notes, and how much passion he brings to the stage as a whole. He’s easily my favorite singer after Bruce Dickinson nowadays.

Also, Larry Tarnowski’s solo in “Dragon’s Child” and Richard Christy’s drumming in the “Wolf” intro are so much more memorable than anything Dave, Janick, and Nicko did on NPFTD it’s not even funny.

I'm going to say again, I love Horror Show, but this comparison is funny. You're mentioning word memorable against an album that yielded UK #1 and #3 singles.

At least Horror Show has a proper bassist in comparison to their other stuff. IE is still a drummer and a soloist short of being even competitive to any Maiden.
Richard Christy is a monster of a drummer and was the best drummer to ever play in Iced Earth. Nicko’s great and all, but does not compare.
Speaking of bonus disc material... was the Jon Schaffer interview even remotely interesting?
Honestly I don’t remember it?

Richard Christy is a monster of a drummer and was the best drummer to ever play in Iced Earth. Nicko’s great and all, but does not compare.

I can agree without the context; Christy is same calibre, two generations ahead, like comparing Blackmore to Michael Romeo. Death? Yes. IE? Hell no, because Nicko does more for the music than Christy (is allowed to do) in IE.

Also Harris/McBrain are, for me, the greatest combo rock world has ever seen and if they're there, the album is competetive against anything.

And is also considered the nadir of Iron Maiden.

No, that would be Virtual XI.

NPFTD is a "Garage Days" type of an album. It is fun, safe zone record for a proven band that just wants to go out and play. However, regardless of Maiden actually being on top of the world at that point, a lot has changed in metal between 1988 and 1990. NPFTD broke no new grounds and made no new statements in an obviously oncoming new age, and that's why it is seen as lacklustre.

Although not being much of a fan Restless And Wild is an iconic album in Heavy Metal. And no matter how great of a guitar player Lynch is, Accept's fourth album is an easy pick here.

No Prayer is far from being my favorite Iron Maiden album but still ranks above the majority of their 90's catalogue and features some great tracks. Plus it has the advantage of not featuring Schaffer. :okok:

Unlike the crushing majority of Nu Metal bands I really respect Korn for being the original stuff. And if it's true I'm far from being a fan there are two thing to bare in mind: a) Blind and Divine are really well penned obscure tunes and b) creating a whole genre that would be shamelessly copied throughout the next decade is something reserved to a reserved group of bands. That being said I would lie if I said I liked this album more than Iron Maiden's penultimate studio effort.

Six degrees is simply put my favorite Dream Theater album. Symphony X is just boring and annoying.

I can agree without the context; Christy is same calibre, two generations ahead, like comparing Blackmore to Michael Romeo. Death? Yes. IE? Hell no, because Nicko does more for the music than Christy (is allowed to do) in IE.
Both guys are among my favorite drummers ever. Christy absolutely dominated The Sound of Perseverance and I love it, but Nicko is probably my favorite drummer overall, with only Neil Peart rivaling him. Christy was pretty much squandered in Iced Earth, too, with some good moments here and there (the intro to "Wolf", the big military drums in "Gettysburg"), but overall always felt like he was being held back. "Damien" especially, he seems to want to fly out of the gate in the chorus but can't. Overall I think Brent Smedley is the best of the Iced Earth drummers for consistency in his playing.

But this isn't Horror Show vs Powerslave or Piece of Mind or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son or The X Factor or Brave New World or The Book of Souls, where Nicko is shining like a beacon and killing it. This is Horror Show vs No Prayer for the Dying, and Christy, while not being allowed to really go as far as he can, still puts on a more memorable performance than Nicko does.

Also, Steve Harris is my favorite bassist of all time, and I still think that James MacDonough's shit in Damien is cooler than what 'Arry does on NPFTD. Maybe not more technically impressive but it sounds awesome.

Multiple list nominations in the 30ish range, somehow. Probably for being an innovator of nu-metal.
Why the hell is a Korn album in League 5 to begin with?
It was not the innovator of Nu-metal: it was simply the creator of the whole sub-genre. What I listen in Korn's debut is the meat and potatoes zillions of nu metal bands. No matter if you like it or not (I personally hate it): it's something really rare to create a whole sub-genre (especially one that dominated for almost a decade). I'm taking not only abot Korn's debut, but also Venom's Welcome To Hell, Rage Against The Machine's debut, Black Sabbath's debut and especially Paranoid, Faith No More's Introduce Yourself, Metallica's Ride The Lightning, Bathory's The Return, Pantera's Vulgar Display Of Power, Iron Maiden's debut and The Number Of The Beast, Slayer's Reign In Blood, Napalm Death's Scum, Death's Scream Bloody Gore, Paradise Lost's Gothic and Icon, Priest's Sad Wings Of Destiny, Motorhead's Overkill, Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales, At The Gates' Slaughter Of The Soul, Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve, Dream Theater's Images And Words, Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse, SOD's Speak english Or Die, Helloween's Walls Of Jericho, Neurosis' Souls At Zero, Godflesh's Streetcleaner and Candlemass' Epicus Doomicus Metallicus among many others. These are albums that are absolutely revered by the majority of fanbases, absolute cornerstones that CHANGED metal, creating various subgenres. That's "just" because of these reasons people tend to forget.

Last edited:
Have you heard any Symphony X before? If not, The Odyssey is a great place to start. It’s more guitar heavy than its predecessors, but by no means is it a worse album. The title track was the band’s peek and — I hate to say it, but — they’ve been on a downward spiral ever since.
I've heard bits and pieces, what I heard I enjoyed but I haven't had the time to properly invest in listening to them on youtube to rationalize getting a CD for them.

I've heard bits and pieces, what I heard I enjoyed but I haven't had the time to properly invest in listening to them on youtube to rationalize getting a CD for them.
Well, since every pre-Paradise Lost record seems to be out of print and the best deals I can find online are just under $1000, better stick to listening to them online. :p

Back