GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Samson - A decent listen but not one that I take off the shelf too often. Vice Versa is a good track, Take it Like a Man is also memorable, the one issue is the sleazy lyrics which are way beneath Bruce (although I must add that I can't remember if this album or shock tactics is the worst offender)

Iron Maiden - opinion given before, been listening to Rainmaker a lot recently, a great single with a cool arrangement, the pre-chorus is actually the main part of the song

Iron Maiden with the win

Killswitch Engage - Nice Def Leppard style intro riff, lead vocals pretty good, rhythm guitar parts not doing anything for me though. Hammer on riff in the bridge good, Backing vocals shite, second bridge has a better rhythm guitar part

Coroner - opinion given a few times

Coroner with the win, feel a bit sorry for KSE as they are the first of those early 2000's bands that have a had a guy with a good voice but I'm more likely to want to listen to Coroner style stuff

Primordial - this was the track I actually listened to when their other album was up so you can probably go back and read my opinion there if you are curious :lol:

Dark Angel - Opinion given a few times

Primordial with the win

Devin Townsend - Intro ok but very over produced plus compressed beyond belief, verse sounds a bit Skunkworks-y, chorus kind of Manic Street Preachers vibe, way better than the Strapping Young Lad stuff that's been in the game

Running Wild - opinion given before, intro doesn't contribute anything to the track, i like the change around 3 and half mins, guitar player listens to Dave Murray I guess

Running Wild with the win

The first pair is very interesting. :) This was probably the first time I ever heard Samson. I don't think I would've recognised who the singer was, had I not known. The album cover is very ugly. Didn't really like the lyrics, if I understood the story correctly. Going to vote for... surprise surprise, Dance of Death.

Killswitch Engage got a lot of critical feedback when they were opening for Maiden. I gave their performance a miss, so haven't really ever heard their music. This particular song wasn't the way I had imagined they would be like, thought they'd be much heavier. The song didn't seem to be going much anyplace. Coroner wasn't bad, but didn't really open up to me. I like their album name though. This pair was difficult, chose Coroner but I'm not sure why.

Primordial was quite dark, I thought it was a Nordic band, sounded a bit like that. Too dark for my liking, I'm afraid. Dark Angel wasn't really for me either, but they had more energy, so I preferred them. (Strange though that they have the word "Dark" on their name, but still it doesn't feel that dark to me. "Dark Angel" is also a lovely name.)

Devin Townsend. Wasn't a bad song, not at all... but I don't know what it is, it just gives me the creeps. Can't like it, for some reason. Therefore voted Running Wild. It's perhaps not super special in its genre, but it works.

If I treated the first matchup like most of the other ones and voted based on the two teaser tracks Samson might have got my vote. But I know that Vice Versa is the most interesting thing on the Samson album and Wildest Dreams the blandest on Dance of Death. Samson was a NWOBHM band that was more rooted in the past than the future with a good singer and a lot of sophomoric songs. Dance of Death isn‘t consistently top-tier, but it is rich and diverse and its highs are extraordinary highs. And it’s singer is also very good.

Geez, I’ve only got 13 NP angry faces so far. I thought I was pretty good at being an asshole, but apparently I still need more practice!
Yes, it would seem that way. BTW, I admire the way you always apologize for not voting an album someone nominated. I thought I'm quite thoughtful, but I have to admit I gave up showing concern for them long ago. But it's great to see someone doing so. :)

Reactions: Jer
Back