GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Nominations closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a Maiden album doesn't win the forum should disband.

Disagree. Although Maiden might be my overall favorite band, I don’t think they have a truly perfect album (SSOASS, BNW, and AMOLAD get the closest but most won't agree). There are at least a few albums by other bands I love that I consider perfect, even if their discography is nowhere near as consistent as Maiden’s.

Grunge doesn't exist, those bands that are labeled as "grunge" are either metal (Alice In Chains, Soundgarden - who are also listed on Metal Archives) or hard rock (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots).
I see where you're coming from but it's not just metal and hard rock. There are more genres that inspired those bands namely Noise, Alternative and Punk. The amount of bands from the Seattle scene that were influenced by The Pixies (come on... that's Nevermind's primal influence) and Dinosaur Jr, Black Flag and Sonic Youth is overwhelming. So I must accept the Grunge label as being legit. Personally, for me, a grunge album must to check all those boxes. Good examples are Nirvana, Hole, Blind Melon, Babes In Toyland, early Soundgarden, The Screaming Trees.
On the other hand bands such as Alice In Chains, Samshing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam have such a strong Classic Rock (one band heavier than the others but still Rock IMO) imprint I find it difficult to squeeze them in the Grunge shelve. I merely refer to them as Rock. The same works for Tool and Metal... I view them much more as a modern prog rock band than a metal prog band. But then again... it's open to each person way of organizing sound traits in their minds so if it isn't too far fetched I think each one should go for the label he prefers.

Disagree. Although Maiden might be my overall favorite band, I don’t think they have a truly perfect album (SSOASS, BNW, and AMOLAD get the closest but most won't agree). There are at least a few albums by other bands I love that I consider perfect, even if their discography is nowhere near as consistent as Maiden’s.

I wasn't being entirely serious but it would be bizarre if the lowest common denominator album on maiden fans forum was not a maiden album.

Powerslave and SSOASS will probably be the highest ranked Maiden albums IMO...

@LooseCannon For when is the 1st round scheduled?
I'll start the game when the current Iron Maiden game gets into the finals. That gives me a few weeks of lead time to put together everything I want stylistically. So probably in 3ish weeks.

If a Maiden album doesn't win the forum should disband.
Maiden has more albums in the game than anyone else. So they have a great chance!

I see where you're coming from but it's not just metal and hard rock.
At this point we will let the voters decide.

At this point we will let the voters decide.
IMO, Grunge bands are perfectly electable. One Grunge album is among my top 20 all time. I personally didn't included it in my list because I view the band more like a Rock act. But I know people here included it and have no problem in voting for it. Same goes for Tool.

IMO, Grunge bands are perfectly electable. One Grunge album is among my top 20 all time. I personally didn't included it in my list because I view the band more like a Rock act. But I know people here included it and have no problem in voting for it. Same goes for Tool.

I don't like Grunge at all, but it definitely falls under the hard rock / heavy metal umbrella as far as I'm concerned. In fact, it has a lot more in common with what hard rock and metal is than some niche "metal" genres.

EDIT: and some not so niche genres! nu metal for instance.

I can now confirm the game will be divided up into 18 leagues, roughly as so:

Leagues 18-15 - albums nominated by a single list.
Leagues 14-8 - albums nominated by a single Maidenfans member or 2 lists.
Leagues 7-5 - albums nominated by 2 Maidenfans members or some lists.
Leagues 4-2 - albums nominated by many Maidenfans members or many lists.
League 1 - The Maidenfans Premier League, the top of the charts. Albums had to be nominated at least 6 times to get here. It's a choice selection.

The trees are built and stacked out. When albums were equally ranked, they were randomized, divided into groups of 32, then randomized again to determine no seeding.

The next step for me will be to start doing album writeups by building a form to add some info to it, and start building some Spotify playlists for the pre-work. I hope to provide a playlist at the start of every League for the NEXT league, so people can get an idea what's coming next. Each post will be structured:

X vs Y
How they got here
Youtube Videos for examples
Possibly a short writeup depending on if I have time.

That is indeed a biased write-up. I am also capable of unbiased writing: Virtual XI is an album.

ACDC_Back_in_Black.png

AC/DC - Back in Black (1980)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 4
Nominating members: Dr. Eddie’s Wingman, Jer, mckindog, srfc
League 18 - Match 1​
vs.
ACDC_Back_in_Black.png

AC/DC - Back in Black (1980)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 4
Nominating members: Dr. Eddie’s Wingman, Jer, mckindog, srfc