Gloryhammer

I mean, I don't really get into power metal for deep, thought entrenching themes. I get into power metal for fun. Maybe Blind Guardian/D&W are the exception there, but like, Gloryhammer was never good, they were just fun as hell. But yeah, this probably is the end for the band.

According to my connected friend, Thomas Winkler actually owns the Gloryhammer trademarks, so they might not even have the name.
Honestly I did think they were good. They knew their niche, the music was serious even if the subject matter was silly, and they put out some cracking tunes. I'd rather listen to general lighthearted absurdity than a lot of the darker topics more extreme bands sing about nowadays.

Probably have to get my fix of that from Nanowar of Steel from now on, though.

Tom is not founder and he is not main songwriter and music writer for the band, but he owns a GH trademark.

We can see why he is a lawyer :D

I'm pretty sure he's a lawyer so that wouldn't surprise me.
Well yeah. This is what I said to my friend: You know, in the end, if he's out of music, he has all these stories of places travelled, beer drunk, women laid, that he can use in bars forever, while simultaneously making tons of money as a lawyer. He's fine. It's the rest of the band that's fucked.

Apparently it may be the drummer who leaked the chats.

I was never big on Gloryhammer from the get-go (my partner was though), but to me the worst thing is that this ripples over to Alestorm as well. The person who I assume is Chris also mentioned an Elliot, who I assume is Vernon from Alestorm. That’s two shitty members now and I don’t like it. Why can’t people just not be cunts, man.

Also regarding Steve, I do think he’s learned a lot over the years. According to the Senjutsu reviews, ”Lost in a Lost World” is about indigenous peoples and how they have to live with the fact that their ancestors were wiped out, IIRC. It’s a very interesting subject matter and I find Steve’s current fascination of ancient civilizations, as started on TBOS, is one of the most interesting he’s ever had.

What do you guys think about this?
I'm torn.

On one hand, I fully understand that what somebody jokes about does not necessarily reflect their beliefs as a person. I've said and laughed at distasteful things, so has the next person.

On the other hand, this is a particularly extreme example and I would like to think I'd have left anything that devolved even remotely as far.

Ultimately I think it matters more what the Alestorm fans (or those who would be interested in Gloryhammer with a new vocalist) think. I unfollowed all of their social media channels as soon as they confirmed Winkler's departure anyway.

Man, what the hell is going on with some of these artists. Iced Earth was an enormous influence for me and very important to me. Then Jon goes and becomes a freaking domestic terrorist (which also made me aware of some of his idiotic views of the past, never read any interviews). Haven't listened to IE since then and I've decided for myself that I won't return to them.

Gloryhammer wasn't as important to me, but I absolutely loved the third album. The themes were hilarious, the songs catchy, all in all incredibly fun. Now, with Thomas gone and the leaked conversations have soured both Gloryhammer and Alestorm in my view. Why is it so hard to be a decent human being for some people?

Man, what the hell is going on with some of these artists. Iced Earth was an enormous influence for me and very important to me. Then Jon goes and becomes a freaking domestic terrorist (which also made me aware of some of his idiotic views of the past, never read any interviews). Haven't listened to IE since then and I've decided for myself that I won't return to them.

Gloryhammer wasn't as important to me, but I absolutely loved the third album. The themes were hilarious, the songs catchy, all in all incredibly fun. Now, with Thomas gone and the leaked conversations have soured both Gloryhammer and Alestorm in my view. Why is it so hard to be a decent human being for some people?
Chris Bowes has had a reputation for years that many people chose to ignore. I know as I'm Scottish and know tons of folk in the metal scene here who knew him personally and they all had shit to say about him.

I suspect it was the same for Jon Schaffer. The signs were there but people liked the music so they gave him a pass. Phil Anselmo also comes to mind.

Seems I need to pay better attention, I only listened to the albums so I hadn't heard anything about his reputation. Looking a bit into it now and it makes sense, unfortunately.

About Steve: I've heard a bunch of times now that he said some problematic things in the 80's but couldn't find anything. Just for curiosity's sake, does anyone have any quotes or links? At least with him I can imagine that, after traveling the world and getting to know so many cultures he learned to appreciate the differences. Looking at his songwriting and his interviews the last 20 or 30 years I can't imagine him being a racist.

I've heard a bunch of times now that he said some problematic things in the 80's but couldn't find anything.
He's had a brutal fight with Nicko that was recorded in the 80's. If you ask me, he should get cancelled for that.

:ninja:

He's had a brutal fight with Nicko that was recorded in the 80's. If you ask me, he should get cancelled for that.

:ninja:
Are you referring to Mission From 'Arry? Because aside from the strong language there's nothing particularly offensive in it.

Gloryhammer's storyline is set to span 21 albums, apparently. At the rate they're knocking them out at the moment (ie every 2-4 years) I won't live long enough to hear the end of the story ... :(

The conversation with his bandmate about how he'd been previously challenged seems to help. Of course, if it happens again, he's pooched, innit he?

So Chris has successfully survived the N-word controversy...
Justifiable controversy aside, the new singer isn't doing them any favours, is he? I wasn't planning on getting any more of their stuff anyway but this would have put me off regardless.

Back