Ghostvivor: Results

Are you satisfied?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Listened to the first album and I really hope it gets better from here on out because man it can use some work. Will vote over the weekend so I’ve got enough time to let it sink in, hear it again, and to listen to the follow-up.

The second album is definitely better. But they really come into their own during Meliora. The first album requires a few listens for sure.

They definitely established what they were about in Opus Eponymous, but I much prefer Infestissumam, for better-formed ideas and more developed musical style. Mind you, the production itself might be partly what colours my views of Opus. It really does sound very old fashioned, and that can't just be accounted for by a retro theatrical/borderline psychedelic style.

That makes sense of why I never thought too much of Ghost until I heard them live. I find the whole sound gets quite tired by Death Knell. It's also a tad samey, with only the final track giving a taste of today's Ghost. I'll reserve judgment on Meliora until I do a full relisten, but I suspect I'll still prefer Infestissumam to it, with the exception of a couple of standout songs. Oh, and a pre warning, I'm a huge fan of Prequelle, borderline pop or not.

Deus Culpa, Death Knell, Prime Mover, Ghuleh/Zombie Queen, Idolatrine.

The second album is definitely better. But they really come into their own during Meliora. The first album requires a few listens for sure.
I actually liked Opus Eponymous better than Infestissumam right on first listen. Maybe because I didn't quite know what to expect, so it came across as a huge surprise. Let's see what Meliora sounds like.

The first half of Opus is very strong, but it kind of falls apart in the second half. I voted against Satan Prayer, Death Knell, Prime Mover, Guleh/ZQ and Depth of Satan's Eyes.

Agree with @Collin that Meliora is the masterpiece.

I'm instantly regretting my vote against Guleh/Zombie Queen. I don't like the Guleh verses/chorus, but the keyboard passages are quite lovely, and the rockabilly bit in the ZQ section is fun. Probably should have voted against La Mantra Mori instead. Oh well, there's always next round!

I'm instantly regretting my vote against Guleh/Zombie Queen. I don't like the Guleh verses/chorus, but the keyboard passages are quite lovely, and the rockabilly bit in the ZQ section is fun. Probably should have voted against La Mantra Mori instead. Oh well, there's always next round!
You can change your vote. I believe that option is available

I'm currently listening to the debut again and it's exactly the same thing I thought last - a whole range of emotions with every single little part. I think my popularity here is going to be lower than it already is after I post my uber destructive review Saturday. Man is this album inane.

The biggest issues with the debut are the production and the songwriting. It wreaks of being a young band. However, what it does achieve is exactly the vibe and image that Tobias was looking for. From the opening organ to the Latin lyrics and excessive churchiness of it all, it certainly makes a statement and establishes a mood for the band. I think each album has gotten better in terms of songwriting (although I probably like Meliora a bit more than Prequelle).

I have to say, I'm shocked so many people seem to dislike/"have an issue" with the debut. I thought it was amazing and miles ahead of Infestissumam.

Surprised at the votes Death Knell is getting so far.

It does have some really silly lyrics, even for Ghost. I’d say it’s certainly better than Elizabeth or Stand, but I’ll probably end up voting for it too. I’m more shocked at the votes for Satan Prayer and Prime Mover.

It does have some really silly lyrics, even for Ghost. I’d say it’s certainly better than Elizabeth or Stand, but I’ll probably end up voting for it too. I’m more shocked at the votes for Satan Prayer and Prime Mover.
I will be honest - the recent tour really took the wind out of my sails for Satan Prayer. Not sure I'll vote for it, but yeah.

Back