Ghostvivor: Results

Are you satisfied?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yay, it’s back! I’ll give it a listen sometime today; hopefully it’s better than the previous two.

Also, thank god “Idolatrine” is out. Whew.
Meliora is much better than the previous two. Other than the two interludes all the songs are very good.

I don't know if I'll be able to listen to Meliora today, but from what I'm hearing about it, and if it ends up meeting my expectations (which are quite high), I'll only be voting for 2 more Infestissumam tracks and remain leaving Opus Eponymous alone.

Meliora appears to have what it takes to be Ghost's best album so far in the discography, so I probably won't be voting for any of its songs as well (unless it ends up being a total disappointment).

I'll try to listen to Meliora tonight for a quick ranking so I can continue plugging away at this lovely GhostVivor.

First impression of Meliora is that this is the best Ghost album and it’s not even close. I heard good things about the album but was not expecting the quality level to increase by that much.

Okay so Meliora is definitely a much stronger affair than the first two albums, but it’s still kind of a mixed bag. I think my problem with Ghost is that they aren’t the best hook writers, nothing really blows me out of the water in that department. Not sure yet what I’m gonna rate these songs or what I’ll be voting for, so stay tuned.

my problem with Ghost is that they aren’t the best hook writers
I think that is their greatest strength! A lot of their songs are catchy as hell. And yes, everyone is right, Meliora is a big leap forward creatively and is much better than the first two albums.

Con Clavi Con Dio - probably prototypical early Ghost. 7/10.
Ritual - what Ghost will be come. 9/10.
Elizabeth - it's fine. 6/10.
Stand By Him - yeah, it's also fine, 5/10.
Death Knell - I actually like this one a fair bit, 7/10.
Prime Mover - also fairly meh, 4/10.
Genesis - interesting instrumental? 5/10.

Infestissumam - a little more fun than Deus Culpa, for sure.
Per Aspera Ad Inferi - yeah, this is good. 8/10.
Secular Haze - It's kinda slow and I don't think it ever hits a gear that it should. 6/10.
Jigolo Har Megiddo - 7/10, decent but unmemorable.
Ghuleh / Zombie Queen - Wish you could skip the first part. 7/10.
Year Zero - 10/10 one of my favourite Ghost songs.
Monstrance Clock - so much better live. 8/10.
La Mantra Mori - it's fine? 6/10.

Spirit - great track. 8/10.
From the Pinnacle to the Pit - also very good 8/10.
Cirice - if this isn't Ghost at their best, then Square Hammer is. 10/10.
Spöksonat - it's an interlude 3/10.
He Is - 8/10 very good, fun singalong chorus. Much better live.
Mummy Dust - I like this better on the album than live. 7/10.
Majesty - 8/10 when they play something "heavy" they should play this instead of Mummy Dust.
Devil Church - better interlude 5/10.
Absolution - Still a good song 8/10.
Deus in Absentia - 7/10 which makes it one of the weakest songs on the album.
Zenith - a fun little track, but this is a little different. I see why it's not on the main album. 7/10.
Square Hammer - if this isn't Ghost at their best, then Cirice is. 10/10.

Meliora is absolutely the best Ghost album, and it isn't even close. If you consider Square Hammer part of the album, then it gets to count as one of the better metal albums of the decade. Not often a band puts two guaranteed all-time anthems on one album and has pretty much zero filler.

I consider Meliora to be their worst album. Cirice and He Is are great but the rest is kind of underwhelming to me.

I'm appreciating Meliora more than I have previously. I could happily wipe out practically all of the first album at this stage.

Elizabeth, Stand by Him, Death Knell, Prime Mover, Ghuleh/Zombie Queen, Spoksonat, Devil Church.

Just a few notes on the latest songs to join:
I get the impression Pinnacle to the Pit is well-liked, but I've always found it a bit bland, despite the 'big' sound. That could be one of my votes next round.
Majesty is an odd one - I love the beginning and verses, but it has a a disappointingly insipid chorus
I might be voting for He Is before too long, too.
Zenith is a cracking song IMO. Quite understated, but a really nice composition. Someone has done a decent piano cover and put that up on Youtube, it's well worth a listen.
Square Hammer is top class Ghost.

Back