Ghost

For me, missing out the, "woah-yeh," during the intro is criminal ...

Other than that, competent cover, but I doubt I'll bother listening to it again.

For me, missing out the, "woah-yeh," during the intro is criminal ...

Other than that, competent cover, but I doubt I'll bother listening to it again.

:lol:

On my first listen I was moaning about not repeating "torture you back at your lair" at the end. Would have been perfect for Ghost style scooby doo effects.

Tobias' voice works great for the 'keep your distance walk away...' section, but doesn't hold a candle to Paul's aggression in the verses. Swapping the lyrics to be from the Phantom's perspective is a nice touch though and definitely fits for Ghost. Other than that it's pretty interesting to hear how the song sounds with a huge, lavish production job, but no one plays bass quite like Steve.

I actually like this cover a lot. It's really cool to hear a fun, heavy interpretation of Phantom. Perfect fit for Ghost musically and thematically. I'm glad he didn't try to reinvent the song. As for the vocals, I'm a fan of Ghost so I obviously like Tobias' voice, but I expected a little bit more "craziness" here. Something more in the vein of, lets say, Twenties. This take if fine, but it sounds quite restrained.

I'm wondering if there's a chance they'll play this live. They played Enter Sandman last year, so who knows.

Reactions: Yax
Ever since hearing Respite on the Spitalfields I've felt like that was Ghost's attempt at pulling off a Phantom of the Opera/Hallowed Be Thy Name inspired track in their own manner, and I think they pulled it off well, I hope they give that a live airing on this year's tour.

Tobias’s voice doesn’t really fit the song, but otherwise it’s a great cover. Maiden is a hard band to pull off because the originals are all so definitive, but they did a great job at adding fresh layers to the song.

Their cover of “Jesus He Knows Me” is also good and the vocals definitely fit that one.

Tobias’s voice doesn’t really fit the song, but otherwise it’s a great cover. Maiden is a hard band to pull off because the originals are all so definitive, but they did a great job at adding fresh layers to the song.

Their cover of “Jesus He Knows Me” is also good and the vocals definitely fit that one.
I do like it, but agree "Jesus" is better for his vocal style

It's a song about an obsessed phantom.
The task of the composer/musician here is to create a song that sounds raw, eerie, haunted, a bit crazy.
What's the point of a polished pop metal version of it? The drummer plays as if for a pop song and even if the guitarists manage to play the solos, the whole thing makes no sense to my ears.
Paul, tell Ghost this sucks. :yes:

Listened to the first 4 just there on bandcamp.

The Television track is alright, prefer the original, Jesus He Knows Me is good, not familiar with the original of the Stranglers track so was approaching this with a clean palate, was ok. Phantom was the best on it by far, which to be honest, when the source material is that good and they didn't stray to far from it, it would have been pretty hard to fuck it up. Haven't had a chance to listen to the last track yet.

EDIT: the last track is pretty shit, not familiar with the original, either that or the cover is significantly different that I don't recognise it.

Last edited:
Got the new EP on vinyl and absolutely love it. To me, Ghost does the best cover songs by far. The Tina Turner cover is glorious.

I thought the Genesis cover was excellent. I'm not really interested in any of the other stuff on the ep besides that and Maiden.

From Blabbermouth:

"Best Metal Performance" nominees:
* DISTURBED - "Bad Man"
* GHOST - "Phantom Of The Opera"
* METALLICA - "72 Seasons"
* SLIPKNOT - "Hive Mind"
* SPIRITBOX - "Jaded"

Is it me, or this is some sort of fukkery. In a sense that a band gets nominated for performing another, underappreciated by GRAMMY band's song. In other words, Ghost is fashionable now.

From Blabbermouth:

"Best Metal Performance" nominees:
* DISTURBED - "Bad Man"
* GHOST - "Phantom Of The Opera"
* METALLICA - "72 Seasons"
* SLIPKNOT - "Hive Mind"
* SPIRITBOX - "Jaded"

Is it me, or this is some sort of fukkery. In a sense that a band gets nominated for performing another, underappreciated by GRAMMY band's song. In other words, Ghost is fashionable now.
Technically, that is a nomination for Steve Harris.

Back