Genghis Khan

How good is Genghis Khan on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Genghis Khan' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'genghis Khan'

I recently saw a documentary about Genghis Khan on TV. The brutality of his ways is unparalleled! He used to use dozens of captives from the previous city he pillaged to build a "landslide" infront of the walls of the next city so that his army (horses, soldiers etc) could climb on the wall! [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'genghis Khan'

One of my faves on the album, with its intriguing rhythms and unbelievable drumming by Clive. They could have left out the guitars in the first 90 seconds and turn it into a drum solo, just great. Easily the best instrumental they ever wrote.

'genghis Khan'

I love the speed on that one, it's a great instrumental, probably the best the boys have done. I wouldn't mind seeing that one back in the setlist... 4,5 stars

'genghis Khan'

This song has just a strange atmosphere…… which I love ! The intro sound very 'confusing' and the different parts are seems to be glued together in wrong ways….. but it turn out to be so good….. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
The harmonised solos along with the drum line is awesome. It only loses for Transilvanya at the instrumentals camp. 5 stars
And yes, this song is played at the beginning of Raising Hell.

Re: 'genghis Khan'

has anyone noticed how the opening riff for the papa roach song "Last resort" has been directly taken from 'genghis Khan' you will find this riff in the 2nd half of genghis khan (starting around 1:50), i recently read on wikipedia that it was taken out of the song "Hallowed be thy name" but i think it sounds more like this song (anyway which song it was taken out of doesnt really matter, the main point is that it is a stollen riff), and if you also noticed papa roach have done this in another one of thier songs titled "Between angles and insects" but this time the copied riff is a slower version of the opening riff in "prowler" - i just had to say this to someone, sorry for those of you who already know this.
those of you that agree with that info please let me know

Kinan B said:
has anyone noticed how the opening riff for the papa roach song "Last resort" has been directly taken from 'genghis Khan'

and if you also noticed papa roach have done this in another one of thier songs titled "Between angles and insects" but this time the copied riff is a slower version of the opening riff in "prowler"
http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?topic=6418.0 This thread was started about the same subject.

Kinan B said:
those of you that agree with that info please let me know
I remember hearing one of those songs, but it was awhile back, so I don't really remember the riff that well. The little bits and pieces of the opening riff that I do remember don't sound sound like the Genghis Khan riff. But remember, it's been awhile so I might not be the most reliable source.

well it's just amazing :

After analysing tissue samples in populations bordering Mongolia, scientists from the Russian Academy of Sciences believe the brutal ruler has 16 million male descendants living today, meaning that he must have fathered hundreds, if not thousands, of children.

read the whole article ---> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... overs.html

according to a similar source (that I can't find to link it) he is the ancestor of the 5% of Asia's population = 150.000.000 people

I wonder how those scientists got those results, as they didn't have any material from Genghis Khan himself to analyse and compare to. I'd be interested in reading the original publication, provided that there is one that has passed the serious peer review necessary to publish in any decent scientific publication. Did you notice how the article mentions historical trivia about Genghis Khan, but does not name the scientists responsible for these -- rather dubious -- findings?

I'd rather trust a bona fine paper in Nature or Science than a sensational article in the Daily Mail. Some journalists would write anything without checking their sources, just to make a good story. Luckily enough, most of them respect the ethics of the profession and only publish thoroughly checked information -- just maybe not at the Daily Mail!

they supposed to do it by the method of reduction, and as they know about when GK lived ---> results by DNA similarities
....but the fact that you doubt, makes me suspicious right now

I'm not particularly fond of the uncritical citation of al-Juvayni either.

5 Stars from me......as is most of this album (or any album between 1980-1988) this song is great........might even prefer it a bit from transylvania

Daily Song: Genghis Khan

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Genghis Khan

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

It's probably very close to Transylvania. It feels like a couple riffs Steve could never find lyrics for, yet, it is still a good song.  7/10.

Re: Daily Song: Genghis Khan

7/10. I like it but it isn't that great. A good, solid track. I feel for a 2 and a 1/2 minute song that quite a lot happens, which is good.

9. Absolutely stunning performance. Clive's drumming is the highlight.

7/10. Like Jon said, solid.

I should tell this story: I was listening to Maiden on my mp3 player a few years back, hanging with a dude who'd never heard Maiden. I got him to check out this song as his first Maiden song ever. He loved it.

Genghis Khan is officially confirmed as good enough to hook new Maiden fans. :bigsmile:

Signature Maiden. Sublime instrumental with an excellent last one and a half minute. That bass line, those different riffs by Dave and Adrian and on top of that that cool lead by Adrian. This groove sounds like a preview of Hallowed Be Thy Name. Clive is really shining on this. Probably my favourite ending of all Maiden songs, and by far my favourite song from Killers.

Steve Harris in the interview with John Stix, made in 1983.

Interviewer John Stix: "Genghis Khan is the second instrumental on Killers. The sharp break in the B section is like shifting gears without a clutch."

Steve: "That freaked out our producer as well. It was sort of a change at right angles. We really liked that element of surprise. This was another song where there could have been a vocal melody on top, but it felt good as an instrumental. A vocal would have cluttered it up. Originally it was written to depict the feeling and sound of Genghis Khan's army going to battle".

John Stix: "There are no solos"

Steve: "It wasn't a conscious thing, but it worked out that way. It felt better not to have any guitar solos on this track."

This is the perfect proof that instrumentals don't have to be boring, overlong guitar-wankery. It's short, it's exciting and it has a lot going on for 3 minutes. The way it starts out almost like a disciplined march and then breaks havoc all of the sudden at around the minute mark really does make Mongol hordes stomp through your head. And as Foro said, the end already foreshadows of what was to come with Hallowed. The part before that does kind of obviously echo Transylvania, though. A great, solid, rocking number, 8/10.

I have never seen Maiden play this song (I doubt if there's video footage). This is the only live performance I found, but it's covered by Paul Di'Anno's band (and comes from his DVD).

Not as cool as the original and I rather saw Maiden do it, but it's better than nothing, and you can see the crowd going in the last part.

Back