Genghis Khan

How good is Genghis Khan on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Their best instrumental.I love all the tempo changes but the last part of the song is INSANE!!! 10/10

rerating 1 to 6... not as good as transylvania, for me a bit slow and lacking appreciable content... also doesnt feel as passionate as transylvania and a bit effortless (in the bad way)

on ones that ive posted like this ive looked at the rating vote that i must have done a few months ago being a bit petulant and found their rediculouslt conservative. this being a 6

This song is a roller-coaster of tempo changes and Clive's superb drumming creates vivid imagery of Mongol hordes stampeding across the steppe plains. The change to a steadier pace followed by the wailing guitar just absolutely sells this one, and the song rolls to a subdued end as Ghengis goes to his grave. A really fitting atmosphere from this song. 9/10.

If you listen to the beginning of "The Grand Illusion" (1977) by Styx,
you'll notice a strong resemblance to a portion of "Genghis Khan".

On a related note, if you listen to the beginning of "Man in the Wilderness" (1977) by Styx,
you'll probably notice a resemblance to the very beginning of "Children of the Damned".
(Granted, this is a bit more subtle than the "Genghis Khan" comparison, but it's there)

Somebody in Maiden must've been listening to that very popular Styx album back in the day.
:D

To be honest, I find the second (great song by the way!) at least as recognizable. Different notes than Children of the Damned, but same placement (timing).

Thanks!

Another perfect instrumental from Maiden. Just like Transylvania, not a single second is wasted. The last minute is my favorite, with the amazing solo, but the intro is great too, fantastic drumming bursting into a great marching rhythm. 10/10

okay an instrumental. I like those. the only problem is that this is the worst of the instrumentals thus far through the first three albums. It's still decent and I like the howling guitars around the 2:20 mark. 7/10

Okey, next instrumental. This one starts off kind of boring for me. The riffs and melodies are okay but nothing special. But 1:45 in the song changes totally and the last minute of the song is great. It really builds up a great sound landscape and use melodies we haven't heard at all on the album yet. I would give the first part a 4 and the second part a 8; so a guess thats gives us in the end a :

6/10

I liked Transylvania on the debut, but this is even better. All the musicians really shine here.
The intro is powerful, with some really great drum rolls from Clive. His playing is really intricate on this track, similar to his performance on Phantom.
I really love the riff that comes in at 1:45, and the added lead guitars really help paint the picture for the theme of the song.
Surprisingly, there aren't any actual guitar solos, but they aren't needed. Really good instrumental.

8/10

Last edited:
It is amazing to see that we people give an 8 to TAATG and 6 to GH. Amazing!

Back