Genesis

Family got more bluesy toward the end and then morphed into The Streetwalkers and the 2nd album featured, yes you guessed it, Nicko LcBrain on drums.

Not to derail the thread but Gabriel was clearly influenced by Chappo at least vocally.

Disagree with that. CAS is a fine effort. It's not a Genesis album really any more than WCD is.
Lyrically CAS is filled with heartbreak and anguish which makes for an emotional LP. Ray's vocals remind me of Jimi Jamison from Survivor, who I am a fan of. Ray's vocals are much closer to Peter's than Phil's. I like the production of the guitar in the title track mostly in the left channel which makes it sound live. I do enjoy listening to this LP when I want to relax and like the atmosphere and feel of the music.

I can understand many people find this LP boring. Yes I agree it is very different from other Genesis works. The keyboards don't stand out as much. Not as many keyboards hooks, or catchy memorable keyboard runs or solos as in the past, but still enjoyable for me to listen to (even if I can't pronounce the drummer's name).

Interesting that both Maiden and Genesis in the 90's replaced their famous well known and liked singers with replacements that sound more like each band's first singer (Blaze sounds more like Paul than Bruce).

Great Musical Box show last night, they did a great job playing Selling England By the Pound.. I met a few members afterwards too, they were really nice... Great tribute band, definitley see them if they ever play around your area

I've been a Genesis fan since I was very small, long before I got into metal. Yes, some may call the Phil Collins era pop rock but I always enjoyed it. I got into Peter's albums later but they're awesome albums. I hope I will have a chance to see Peter live someday. I'm glad I saw Genesis back in 2007 but I would love to see Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett on their own tours because I don't think they will get back together with Genesis anytime soon. My favorite Peter Gabriel-era album is The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway with Selling England By The Pound as a close second favorite. Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme are also phenomenal. A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are also awesome album, too close to mention for a favorite from the quartet-era. As for the definitive era, I would probably have to go with Duke as a favorite though Abacab is close with the self titled album and Invisible Touch in close competition for a second favorite. We Can't Dance is a very strong album and a great album. Its not number one or two, but its an awesome album, but probably better than And Then There Were Three though I enjoyed that one too. I couldn't really get into Calling All Stations except for Congo.

Last night listened to Side 1 of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. This morning heard Sides 2 & 3. Will hear Side 4 on way home. PURE GENIUS. Wish I had been old enough to see that original tour. Could have seen The Musical Box play it few years ago, but I was home with the Flu! :mad:

Listening to the live version of The Knife and after paying attention to the lyrics (which I studied online previously so I could finally understand Peter), I noticed a similarity with the lyrics to One For The Vine. Perhaps OFTV is a loose sequel to The Knife?

It's ok, probably my second least favorite trio album after ATTWT. The two epics are great and No Son of Mine is good, could do without the rest.

I don't know anymore. Genesis has always been the one I consider the best of the trio albums but lately, I've actually been leaning more towards Abacab and its experimental stuffy-stuff.

What's your fave? Mine is probably the self titled one.

Edit: And you forgot 'Dreaming While You Sleep'.:)
Of the trio albums? Invisible Touch, which was also my first Genesis album. I'm also really fond of Abacab.

The self titled is good too but I have to be in the right mood for it. I can throw on Invisible Touch or Abacab any time and really enjoy them.

As in, passionate Collins vocals? Yeah, Mama trumps IT on that part. I would even call it his greatest vocal performance ever with the exception of In The Air Tonight. In general, the self-titled has really solid vocals.

As a side note, Silver Rainbow is easily one of their most underrated songs.

As in, passionate Collins vocals? Yeah, Mama trumps IT on that part. I would even call it his greatest vocal performance ever with the exception of In The Air Tonight. In general, the self-titled has really solid vocals.

As a side note, Silver Rainbow is easily one of their most underrated songs.
They should've played Silver Rainbow live on the 1983-1984 tour and after. Its one of my favorite songs on their self titled album.

Hmm. Never realized Banks and Rutherford are not big fans of some busy/complex stuff from the past. Cool Phil tried to bring in some Mahavishnu Orchestra and Yes in the music.

Listening to Three Sides Live and it reminded me that this was my first Genesis LP to buy as a new release. I was already familiar with Abacab, Man on the Corner, and Turn It On Again from MTV, and I love live albums so I bought this. I enjoyed the performances but was VERY disappointed in the packaging. The stamps on the front and back were meant to invoke a bootleg look, but they went too far. The gatefold was a live photo where none of the band members were discernable and the inner sleeves were plain paper. Pathetic. Did not learn a thing about the band or the songs. Was curious which album each song was from and which ones were old or new (this was years before the internet). Had to find this out on my own later.

Guess I was spoiled by the great packaging job Rush did on All the World's A Stage. It was almost like a mini tour program. Besides the many photos, it had a list of the studio albums up to that point with the songs listed. But then, on the next live album, Exit...Stage Left, Rush, on the inside at least, slacked off. The inner sleeves were plain paper and the gatefold was just a photo of each member of the band which you (purposefully) could not make out their face. Had some credits too. Sad. (Great performance though)

Back