General Iron Maiden discussion

Brighter Than A Thousand Sons has parts in 7/8.

Sign Of The Cross has a part in the middle of the song that goes all over the place, especially live, as far as time signatures are concerned.

Fun fact: Different World's main riff was originally written in 7/8 as well but then changed to 4/4.

Brighter Than A Thousand Sons has parts in 7/8.

Sign Of The Cross has a part in the middle of the song that goes all over the place, especially live, as far as time signatures are concerned.

Fun fact: Different World's main riff was originally written in 7/8 as well but then changed to 4/4.
I never noticed that Brighter Than A thousand Sons is in 7/8. It feels very natural.

First songs that come to mind are The Number of the Beast (intro and outro is in 5/4) and Alexander The Great (7/8 at the start of the middle instrumental section).

Not to be pedantic but I wouldn’t describe NOTB as being in 5. If you counted along with it in five it wouldn’t line up with the rhythm guitar/drums quite right because it doesn’t follow a 3 + 2 pattern. I think of it as two bars of four and then a bar of two as the rhythm guitar and drums follow a clear 4/4 pulse with an extra two beats tacked on (almost like an extended pickup). Not uncommon in a lot of country/folk music actually.

Not to be pedantic but I wouldn’t describe NOTB as being in 5. If you counted along with it in five it wouldn’t line up with the rhythm guitar/drums quite right because it doesn’t follow a 3 + 2 pattern. I think of it as two bars of four and then a bar of two as the rhythm guitar and drums follow a clear 4/4 pulse with an extra two beats tacked on (almost like an extended pickup). Not uncommon in a lot of country/folk music actually.
Yes, I think you're right. I listened to it again and it is indeed two bars of four and an extra bar of two.

Back