Gates of Tomorrow

How good is Gates of Tomorrow on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'gates Of Tomorrow'

[!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Ok. If you say so. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'Gates Of Tomorrow'

Now you can read other visitors' comments on 'Gates Of Tomorrow' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

Shadow your not the only one i totally agree they have to be in the maidens top five of songs.. they go nowhere read the lyrics many times over and in the later 80's i think every metal group did these lyrics, all the way with you shadow these songs bordering on Garbage.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

I don't like Gates of Tomorrow. Weakest song on the album by a fair stretch. I don't think the melody has much punch, and the song doesn't seem to have much of a texture to it. The vocal style reminds me of Assassin, but the difference is that it actually suited Assassin.

Actually I like the pre-chorus, the bit that ends with:

Give me the strength so I carry on

Thats the best bit. The vocal harmonising is not to my taste at all.

(Janick really butchered this solo to death I'm afraid; wrong style of solo for the song. I want Murray [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--])

'gates Of Tomorrow'

[img src=\'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/gorbeast/GatesOfTomorrow.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

'gates Of Tomorrow'

I think that Gates Of Tomorrow is somehow related to Powerslave and Revelations, if you are openminded to the lyrics you may be able to see the connection, let me explain:

Weaving a thread round your heart and your soul. - this can be explained as the pharao being wrapped with white ribbon, turning it into a mummy.

Decieving your eyes and delaying your goal - this line can be read as the death of the pharao and he not being buried yet and so he can not pass on to the realm of the death

Ships in the night when they pass out of sight. - unclear line, any explanation would be welcome

Deliver their cargo of eartly delights - this sentence can be seen as the people bringing their "earthly delights" thus the jewelry and gold of the king and some of their own stuff to his tomb, wich was a habit in ancient egypt

To the women and the children the souls of the dead. - the ancient egytians thought you could take stuff with you to "the next realm" and the pharao wouldn't of course be coming emptyhanded in that realm

I've opened their book and no mercy is shed - this maybe related to the Book of the Dead: [a href=\'http://www.touregypt.net/bkofdead.htm\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.touregypt.net/bkofdead.htm[/a]

You want forgiveness and you want it cheap. I don't give redemption rewards for the meek - this could be his son saying this, for you can see in powerslave that the pharao wants forgiveness for his shameless life

Suffering evil when you pay the price of fame. Give me the strength so I carry on - the price of fame could be an reference to power - slave

There isn't a god to save you if you don't save yourself - another reference to powerslave: i'm a god why can't i live on

You can't blame a madman for this if you go insane. - self explaining lyrics

Trapped in the web but I cut the threads. Show you the gates of tomorrow
Trapped in the web no mercy is shed. Show you the gates of tomorrow
Trapped in the web slaves to the dead. Show you the gates of tomorrow

the chorus is about the son burying his father and showing him the way to the realm of the dead, the chorus made me think that it was connected to powerslave/revelations because the line: slaves to the dead is in here, wich was also used in powerslave

This is of course just a theory and it could be bullshit, but it is a nice thought and it certainly makes the song more interesting to me!

'gates Of Tomorrow'

I think it's a great rocker. Fast energetic parts and raw riffs.
I like it a lot. The solo is one of my favourites and in my opinion one of Janick's best.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

Pretty good song. Great job on the chorus with the voice(s) of Bruce.

Why do people rant about Gates of tomorrow and New frontier ?

I think they easily compares to Quest for fire and Sun and steel who are well rated.

Be grateful that Maiden are still delivering some great songs after all these years.

4 stars.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

[!--QuoteBegin-sfeerkeeltsie+Jan 28 2005, 03:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(sfeerkeeltsie @ Jan 28 2005, 03:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I think that Gates Of Tomorrow is somehow related to Powerslave and Revelations, if you are openminded to the lyrics you may be able to see the connection, let me explain:
Weaving a thread round your heart and your soul. - this can be explained as the pharao being wrapped with white ribbon, turning it into a mummy.

Decieving your eyes and delaying your goal - this line can be read as the death of the pharao and he not being buried yet and so he can not pass on to the realm of the death

Ships in the night when they pass out of sight. - unclear line, any explanation would be welcome

Deliver their cargo of eartly delights - this sentence can be seen as the people bringing their "earthly delights" thus the jewelry and gold of the king and some of their own stuff to his tomb, wich was a habit in ancient egypt

To the women and the children the souls of the dead. - the ancient egytians thought you could take stuff with you to "the next realm" and the pharao wouldn't of course be coming emptyhanded in that realm

I've opened their book and no mercy is shed - this maybe related to the Book of the Dead: [a href=\'http://www.touregypt.net/bkofdead.htm\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.touregypt.net/bkofdead.htm[/a]

You want forgiveness and you want it cheap. I don't give redemption rewards for the meek - this could be his son saying this, for you can see in powerslave that the pharao wants forgiveness for his shameless life

Suffering evil when you pay the price of fame. Give me the strength so I carry on - the price of fame could be an reference to power - slave

There isn't a god to save you if you don't save yourself - another reference to powerslave: i'm a god why can't i live on

You can't blame a madman for this if you go insane. - self explaining lyrics

Trapped in the web no mercy is shed. Show you the gates of tomorrow
Trapped in the web slaves to the dead. Show you the gates of tomorrow

the chorus is about the son burying his father and showing him the way to the realm of the dead, the chorus made me think that it was connected to powerslave/revelations because the line: slaves to the dead is in here, wich was also used in powerslave
This is of course just a theory and it could be bullshit, but it is a nice thought and it certainly makes the song more interesting to me!
[snapback]96958[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I still stand behind this theory, altough it was never evaluated and discussed... [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'gates Of Tomorrow'

Somehow, every time I hear this song, I have to imagine how it came to be:

Steve: We need another song for the album!
Bruce: Alright, I've got a couple of lyrics left over from my solo days. You guys write some music.
Janick sits down in an uninspired moment and plays some guitar.
Janick: Hmm, this sounds familiar.... whatever, it's a nice riff. Steve, can you provide a bassline to this riff?
Steve: Yeah. Somehow, I think I've done this before, but what the hell.
Bruce downs three whiskeys and shouts his lyrics into the microphone.
Steve: Here, you guys play this. Nicko, some drumlines, H and Davey, some guitar bits. I'll mix it all together later on.
Night passes. The boys all come down to the studio the next morning and see a tired Steve sitting around.
Steve: There, I mixed it all together.
Steve plays it to the rest of the band.
Dave: You know, Steve, the original version of Lord Of The Flies was good. Why re-do it, and why such a crappy re-do?
Steve: Never mind. We'll put it on the album inbetween two good songs and nobody will notice.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

I think it isn't a bad song, you can't make that big deal out of one LotF-like riff. But that's not why I made this post. The content isn't clear and the only thing I heard in here were copied riffs and that it's a very shit song.

I think zgodt was right at his part. I think this song is about religion and is very suitable for the reformation of the church. It tells us, or even better the church, you can't blame people in the name of God and all earthly things are nothing to the divine.

I thought of the other two interpretations but if it's about life and death some things just won't fit. Look at the line 'Give me the strength so I carry on.'. If this song is about life and death, the person singing it is obviously the death so I think it's strange he asks people to give him strength to keep on doing what he is doing all the time already, killing, that's rather strange.

The music downloading isn't making any sense too. 'Weaving a thread round your heart and your soul. Deceiving you eyes and delaying your goals.'. Tell me what this supposes to mean then.

Daily Song: Gates of Tomorrow

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Gates of Tomorrow

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

There are parts of this song that I like. The "trapped in the web" bit is nice. But overall it sounds simplistic and boring, Bruce is horrible on the chorus, and I can't get into it. It sounds like leftovers from Killers. I want you to sing it, sign it, sing it along. 3/10.

Re: Daily Song: Gates of Tomorrow

The "Trabbed in the Web" chorus is the best chorus from the album, I even like it better than Rainmaker's.
Actually, this song has only grown since I've heard it, and the last times I played the album this was confirmed. That chorus is so fucking good, in every way. The tight interlocking of 'Arry's bass and Nicko' drums remind me even of TLOTLDR's chorus. And what a pace, and that little melody in the background! Excellent.

I also love the way Bruce sings it, and when his second vocal comes in. In the last chorus I even hear a third one, providing a beautiful harmony.

The downside of this song are the first 2 minutes. We get less interesting riffs and a less pleasant verse. But as soon as the bridge appears all that is over at once. The couplet doesn't come back, and the last line of the bridge..

Give me the strength so I carry ooo hoon....! (one of the most memorable vocal lines of the album; love that echo!)

..launches us in that web of awesomeness. The solo is pretty good too. Then again that bridge and back to the choruses!   :rocker:

I really like this song. The beginning is too similar to Lord Of The Flies for its own good, and I agree the beginning isn't that great, but the bridge and chorus are very good.

When it comes to favourite chorus from the album, that has got to be "Home, far away - from the war - a chance to live again", but this one is good as well.

A low 8 from me.

An okay song, it seems really choppy and is hard to get into, though there are some cool parts it is the weakest track on the album.   I give it a 4.

I like this song. Good intro, even though it's a clear re-hash from Lord of the Flies. The lyrics are interesting and the chorus is great. It's far from being special, but still a good song. Low 6/10.

Interesting and somewhat fresh sounding rocker track. On the other hand, nothing too exciting. 7

It hasn't been crapped on too much yet on this thread, but I find this song generally gets a bit of a bad rap. I really like the layered beginning, with the three distinct guitar parts with the fingers of Nicko and Steve dancing in the background. The melodies and structure are relatively pedestrian but inoffensive, the chorus is kind of catchy and the lyrics kind of interesting. Certainly in the bottom half of their song list, but a solid six.

Back