Game Of Thrones

I've been avoiding spoilers even as far as tha last episode's been concerned (07x05) and I'm not even trying that much. Maybe the spoilers like you more ;)

tongue0007.gif

Episode 6 might be even worse in regards to pacing. :facepalm:

I hate to say it, but the entire season is beginning to take on the feel of a fan-fiction.

I actually think episode 6 was far better in terms of pacing than episode 5.

The timing of the rescue was certainly quick, but at least it wasn't 3-4 different characters globe-hopping in the space of a few minutes. I've heard some theories that something like 4 days are supposed to pass while they sit on that ice island, but if that's true why couldn't they just show a couple shots of the sun going up and down with the Night King staring on menacingly?

The plotting, however, was definitely very sloppy. Why did Thoros survive the bear attack only to die quietly later? He added nothing in the interim. Why didnt the Night King toss the spear at the dragon carrying 6 enemies instead of the one flying around?

Yeah. The creators of the show didn't sign up to write sequels for the books, they were meant to adapt them. Not their fault that GRRM can't finish the books.

Either way, I loved the last episode.

I still haven't seen ep 6, but

I really start to hope Daenerys is just a red herring and that she will get her comeuppance in the end. Maybe that Tyrion betrays her (Ep5 hinted at that way as a possibility). But I think I'm wrong, because the writers are really obvious about their favourites, she is a complete Mary Sue in the series (at least in the books it's more levelled) and they are not brave enough to do so. Although it's unbelievable, she is probably (supposed to be) a favourite character. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Fuck her. It's been a long time since I've hated a character the creators wanted to push on me so much. Jenny in The L Word?, possibly, but that was an abomination of a series anyway.

They can't just stop making the most popular show on TV without finishing it...
Yes, they could. They won't, because they're greedy. But they haven't taken steps to mitigate the fact that the primary documentation is missing. They haven't hired well-known fantasy authors to help them fill in the gaps, and I'm pretty sure GRRM isn't guiding them point by point, or it wouldn't have pacing problems.

You're talking about HBO, I was talking about the actual showrunners. If Benioff & Weiss said "We're out of books, let's just wait for GRRM to finish them", HBO would go "LOL, you guys are out and we'll just find someone who will finish the show instead".

Exactly. HBO is gonna finish the show because it makes them money. HBO is going to give them shorter seasons because the special effects budget continues to increase and they aren't giving them enough money to have dragons in 10 episodes of a season. Although I don't think D&D are doing a perfect job running the show post-GRRM, I don't think they are entirely to blame for the pacing problems.

They have an outline. From what I hear they'll reach the same ending just taking a different route. The pacing is the least of our worries, I don't mind it at all. Suspension of disbelief much? I seriously don't see a problem with "movie time" here. So we don't have a point of reference to know if it's been 2 hours or 2 weeks, so what?

And they did, for 6 seasons, so I'm cool with it. The thing I have a problem, yet nobody seems to notice is, how the fuck is uncle ben (benjen?) still alive and how the fuck is it he is always at the right place at the right time? THAT is a problem, not pacing...

Back