From Here To Eternity

How good is From Here to Eternity on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
4. Does not sound like Maiden, at all. Great solos, without them, this would rank even lower in my catalog.
From Here To Eternity is one of few Maiden songs that i never listen to individually, they sneak only in album runs.

This song is a sad attempt at revisiting older ideas. There really isn't anything good about this and I have no clue why I'm giving it a 4/10. Perhaps it's because I can remember the whole song. Unlike 3-4 songs on this crap album.

After a promising start that is BQOBD, From Here to Eternity fails to continue the good. Zare is right, doesn't sound like Maiden at all. Bruce's voice is annoying during the whole songs plus the song full of other weird voices & sounds that are just stupid. 4/10

I love this song. It works great live, chorus is made for singing along, and solos are very memorable and interesting. And yes, I like Bruce's vocals on this one. 10/10.

Re: Daily Song: From Here to Eternity

Mega said:
A cute track. The guitars do sound a bit happy, and Bruce does sound horrid.
BUT! The chorus is very catchy, and in my opinion Janick's solo is one of his absolute best. 6/10 for those reasons.

I agree with everyone here on Janick's solo - fabulous and emotive. He really brings out the emotion, even if the emotion is just tongue-in-cheek. Not every song needs to be Passchenfuckingdale, and this one is one of their best straight-ahead rockers. Total guilty pleasure, best moment on a criminally-bad album, and shows just how versatile Maiden are! :edmetal: :shred:

A nice rocker, with a great sing-along chorus.  6/10

Actually, the entire album is rather underrated. Although, 1/3rd of the songs are filler-ish. But the rest of the album is very good.

Good song. I've liked this one since I first gave it a listen while watching the cool music video. Very catchy, and the raspy vocals work well. 8

'from Here To Eternity'

I like this song because of the cheesy sing-along chorus, unlike the rest if you apparantly.

Some of you may slagg off the line "Hell aint a bad place", saying it doesn't make sense but I saw a programme on TV the other night giving a new perspective to what hell really is like. The traditional image of hell is a fiery pit where the Devil stands and pokes flaming hot pokers up our arses andtortures us for the rest of time.

Recent philosophists say that hell is more likely to be a barren wasteland, where God had deserted. It is not necesarily a bad place but it's not great either. The image of hell can be drawn from the NT where it says,

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 8:11-12)

Maybe hell isn't a bad place after all, just an "eternity" of nothingness.[/quote]

I agree! It's one of my favorite guilty pleasures from the band. It"s fun. I like it.

I like the bluesy leads in this song (a real rarity). Janick's whammy bar solo is really cool. Bruce's random speech parts are annoying, though.

Not as good as the opener, but quite catchy still. The intro and breakdown with the clean guitar is cool. The chorus are not that good, but the verses are, on the other hand. What makes the song better is the breakdown and the translation into the solo which I think is golden.

6/10

8. Maiden does ACDC and it sounds great in my opinion. I also love the Meat Loaf style engine solo.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave - 6.75

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave
9 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere In Time - 8.00

8 - Caught Somewhere In Time
9 - Wasted Years
8 - Sea Of Madness
8 - Heaven Can Wait
8 - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
7 - Stranger In A Strange Land
8 - Deja Vu
8 - Alexander The Great

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 8.25

7 - Moonchild
9 - Infinite Dreams
9 - Can I Play With Madness
9 - The Evil That Men Do
10 - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
6 - The Prophecy
8 - The Clairvoyant
8 - Only The Good Die Young

No Prayer For The Dying - 6.90

6 - Tailgunner
6 - Holy Smoke
8 - No Prayer For The Dying
7 - Public Enema Number One
7 - Fates Warning
7 - The Assassin
6 - Run Silent Run Deep
8 - Hooks In You
8 - Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
6 - Mother Russia

Fear Of The Dark

7 - Be Quick Or Be Dead
8 - From Here To Eternity

A fun song in some ways, but the chorus is quite grating, and overall it seems to lack energy. Following BQOBD probably doesn't help.
6/10

It's cathcy, which annoys me, 'cause it's a very annoying song at the same time. 6/10

6/10

From Here to Eternity is the official third, and final, song in the story of Charlotte the Harlot. She gets on a motorcycle and rides away from her life of sin…straight to hell. Well, that’s certainly fitting. The bluesy guitar leads are fantastic, but the song is just too plebeian for Maiden. Endless double entendres and AC/DC-esque riffing is not why I listen to Maiden. Bruce even sounds like Brian Johnson again. Apparently he was consciously experimenting with “rougher” tones on these 90s albums and although it’s not always bad, he goes really overboard on this album. Murray and Gers turn in furious solos, though, with Gers even perfecting his whammy bar attack by incorporating it within an actual melodic structure.

Sounds more like an AC/DC cover than a Maiden cover. The gang vocals in the chorus is so out un-Maiden. I don't have a problem with Maiden doing something different, but this just feels like such a huge step below everything I like about Maiden. It's almost a waste of their talents and maybe a lame attempt at getting on MTV.

Guitar solos are indeed great, but save the song they do not.

Other than the guitar solos, this is a terrible, failed song. It might reflect what Steve thought was popular at the time, but then again, I have no idea where that terrible, cheesy opening riff comes from. It almost feels like Steve was trying to write a Maiden-ish parody of some of the stuff from Tattooed Millionaire.

3/10.

Cant stand it. One of the worst Maiden songs. That being said its not even in the lower half of the album its on.

Back