From Here To Eternity

How good is From Here to Eternity on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'From Here To Eternity' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'from Here To Eternity'

bruce murmurs at the end of the song:

Get on your M11, get on your bike!

*M11 is an English highway...

'from Here To Eternity'

I like the chorus of the song with it's vocal harmonies - but then again, Bruce's voice sounds extremely strained and ruins most of the song. It's one of the better songs on the album.

'from Here To Eternity'

There was a 'Triumph Mix' of this song on one of the singles. Does anyone know which single was it (cd, 7'', 12'' ??), and is there any difference to the album version?

'from Here To Eternity'

[!--QuoteBegin-Gom Jabbar+Aug 25 2004, 10:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Gom Jabbar @ Aug 25 2004, 10:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]There was a 'Triumph Mix' of this song on one of the singles. Does anyone know which single was it (cd, 7'', 12'' ??), and is there any difference to the album version?
[snapback]84527[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Sorry to answer so late, but after all, I answer. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
You can find the 'Triumph Mix' on CD single Digipack, UK, cat. number : EMI CDEM 240

I've never heard it.

2 stars for this song. Maybe the worst single in my opinion.

'from Here To Eternity'

In what way does this one connect to Charlotte and 22 A.A. songs? In fact, the only connection I see is the hot babe in the video [!--emo&:wub:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wub.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wub.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'from Here To Eternity'

"The beast and Charlotte they were two of a kind"

Still don't see the connexion? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'from Here To Eternity'

[!--QuoteBegin-RudeZ+Aug 6 2005, 05:42 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(RudeZ @ Aug 6 2005, 05:42 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]...the hot babe in the video [!--emo&:wub:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wub.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wub.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]114209[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Sometimes, when you recover from that, it's helpful to open the CD booklet and read the lyrics [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'from Here To Eternity'

Musically this is a great song for what it is: a fun hard rock tune with great solos. It is not "deep" as the other Maiden songs, and it doesn't have to be, just like Drifter, Wrathchild or Prowler.

The biggest letdown in this song is the lyrics. I hate them. It is a sell out. Yes, that chick in the video is hot, but I don't want to have an erection when I see a Maiden video! Maiden is not about sex & drugs & rock n roll, Maiden is about quality and sophisticated metal music! They were ahead of the pack in 80s, when all the other bands were writing songs about "loving their babies till the morning with their big guns" and Steve Harris often ridiculed that.

They wrote 22 Acaica Avenue which was completely anti-sexist, about a whore and her (platonic?) lover who tried to save her from that shitty life. And with this song, some 10 years later, we learn why he wanted to save her from that life: to make Charlotte his own private whore! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] A shocking suprise ending for the Charlotte saga.

The most interesting thing in this case is: the 80s was over and Maiden were using those 80s cliches which they ridiculed at the time. Bruce used these kind of lyrics with sexual innuendoes in his Tattooed Millionaire album but he made that album for fun and it wasn't really serious. Now Steve Harris also wants to do his own version of that album, and it doesn't work because this is Maiden.

This song signalled one thing though. Back in the day Maiden was a BAND which was leaded by Steve Harris. After this album Maiden became Steve Harris' SOLO band. Thank God we have Bruce and Adrian again though.

'from Here To Eternity'

I like this song because of the cheesy sing-along chorus, unlike the rest if you apparantly.

Some of you may slagg off the line "Hell aint a bad place", saying it doesn't make sense but I saw a programme on TV the other night giving a new perspective to what hell really is like. The traditional image of hell is a fiery pit where the Devil stands and pokes flaming hot pokers up our arses andtortures us for the rest of time.

Recent philosophists say that hell is more likely to be a barren wasteland, where God had deserted. It is not necesarily a bad place but it's not great either. The image of hell can be drawn from the NT where it says,

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 8:11-12)[/quote]

Maybe hell isn't a bad place after all, just an "eternity" of nothingness.

Re: 'From Here To Eternity'

Hi guys! :)
I'm new here but I've been a Maiden a fan for quite a while and was a member on the official IM board till they decided to make it for IMFC only...

Personally, I like this song quite a bit (Maiden can make silly, straight ahead hard rock songs too) but had a question...
As I'm sure most of you are aware, most Maiden albums have Dave panned to the left channel, and Adrian or Janick on the right channel.  It's only since the reunion (ie. BNW and on) that Kevin has moved them around depending on individual songs (having 3 of them naturally complicates things).  However, when I listen to the guitars in From Here to Eternity, it's obvious that Janick's rhythm guitar is on the left and Dave's on the right.  During the intro Janick does his patented two string picking (ala Lord of the Flies, Gates of Tomorrow, etc.) while Dave does the lead / 'motorcycle' effects... Why were the two switched for this song only?  Or is this not the only song that has Janick on the left and Dave on the right?

I guess growing accustomed to having Dave's guitar play in my left ear, it kinda bugs me... maybe I'll switch the L-R stereo myself one day and listen to that version.  What do you guys think?

Re: 'From Here To Eternity'

Hi PwrMtl,

I'm just listening to the Fear Of The Dark Album, and up to now I have never noticed that on this particular song the guitars switched over. I'm generally used to hear Dave on the left side, I'm interested in mixing and I really like this about Maidens music, that each guitarist (when it were two) has its own side and it's like football team playing over the sides and from the side to the other. On stage they are even changing positions while running around.

I'm listening with headphones very often and I never care about how I put them on, so I think you can easily listen to Maiden with the guitars switched over. At he moment I'm noticing that the guitar solos in the album are put to the middle, and when it comes to the rythm guitars, on most songs don't know which part is played by Dave or Janick, except From Here To Eternity.

OK this brings me back talking about this bloody song. I like it a lot. It is a very funny, catchy rock song that makes me smile. Janick's solo fascinates me and I'm still trying to figure out how he creates this sound. His hands have a kind of build-in wah-wah  :). The song is not meant to be taken seriously, as Nicko said in one TV interview you can find on youtube and I think the lyrics speak for themselves -  it's a complete joke.

Thinks of the Raising Hell concert in general and when they're cutting Dave's hand of.... I could laugh my head of every time I watch it. They're making fun of rock clichés, motorcycles, girls, etc. Especially the stuff performed on the Raising Hell video by Simon Drake is so bad and overacted that no one can be scared of this -  you can say it's embarrassing, but I just sit there and laugh. I think this is or was the band's attitude and I like it.

Daily Song: From Here to Eternity

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: From Here to Eternity

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Ugh. This song is horrible, and not just by Maiden standards. I honestly can't stand it, and it's down in the bottom five for me. It's happy, the guitars are horrible and boring, and Bruce sounds horrid. 2/10.

Re: Daily Song: From Here to Eternity

Confession time. We all have our secret indulgences, our guilty pleasures. This song is one of mine. I’m not sure why I love the simple riff, the cheesy gang vocal on the chorus and the cliché-strewn, tongue-in-cheek lyrics. I am sure the song fucking cooks and Janick’s whammy bar solo is one of the sublime moments in Maiden. I’ve never seen it live, but I’d love to. Seems made for the arena. Nine

I'm with mckindog on this. It is a good track. Great chorus, great thumping sound and good fun all round. Again, when I first listened to this album I had a feeling it will be a good album and I was, at this point, not disappointed. 8/10.

A cute track. The guitars do sound a bit happy, and Bruce does sound horrid.
BUT! The chorus is very catchy, and in my opinion Janick's solo is one of his absolute best. 6/10 for those reasons.

This is how I imagine this song came to be:

Rod: Oy Steve, we need another single for the new album.
Steve: I thought Judas Be My Guide is...
Rod: Forget it, way too deep. Remember our last hit singles? Holy Smoke? Bring Your Daughter...? That's the stuff to make a no. 1 singe!
Steve: *grumbles* fine, I'll see what I can do.
Steve withdraws to the studio.
Steve: OK, I guess nobody will blame me for copying a bit of Bring Your Daughter... After all, everybody loved that one. Oh hell, I'll just copy the entire song. That'll teach Rod and the others.
Steve writes.
Steve: Damn, this song is so bloody shallow and pointless. Ah what the hell, I'll just throw in a Charlotte reference and the fans will love it.
Bruce listens to the demo.
Bruce: What the... first, Steve steals my first solo song and re-records it, and now he rips it off and expects me to sing on it? You know what, I'm so out of here...

Having said that, 3/10.

Can't hear the similarities, but the Rod part was great.

When I bought this album this was an immediate favourite of mine. I remember that the single contained a different version, on which the drums sounded heavier. Unfortunately I can't find it on YouTube. If someone knows how to show it to others who haven't heard it, please share in this topic!

To see how this song rocks live, check out this version, live in Mexico (I have a DVD of this amazing gig). The band was way more energetic back in those days. By the way: Bruce puts on a sombrero, which looks funny, and the crowd goes wild too. This song is one of the rare (or only?) backing vocal performances Janick did, live.

From Here to Eternity has a strong drive and straightforward powerful beat, like in Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter, though here it's quite faster, and the track is less dark and the rhythm guitars have a more prominent role.

Like mckindog and Mega, I find Janick's wild solo (still containing well chosen notes!) the highlight. Always a moment to look forward to.

Over the years the song went a bit down in my appreciation while the more melodic songs from FOTD stayed as strong as in the beginning.

Between 7 and 7,5 -> 7.

edit: LOL: the first 6 voters, all voted something different! It's the beast, I'm telling ya. ;)
edit 2: Per, even if I don't agree with the ranking, that was very funny, hahaha. :)

Sweet mother of Janick, he's actually singing!
Great share Foro!

Back