Frank Zappa Discussion/Survivor: Last albums by original Mothers (now voting!) [abandoned]

Should this survivor continue

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but lets start over and/or use all the songs

• No

• Total voters
Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance is one of Zappa's best melodies for sure. Nice lyrics too.

Cruising with Ruben & the Jets, December 1968 (Official release #5)
Frank_Zappa_-_Cruising_With_Ruben_%26_the_Jets.jpg

Zappa was a huge doo-wop fan, reputed to have the world's largest collection of doo-wop 45s at the time of his death. This album was Frank's tribute to the genre. It's a little hard to get past the dated sound, but the songs are interesting.

Cheap Thrills
A rockin' little tune (after the sappy intro). I love the twang of the upright bass here.

Love Of My Life
Zappa kept this one in the live set over the years. This version from Tinsel Town Rebellion is better than the original from Ruben.

Jelly Roll Gum Drop
This is more 50s-style guitar rock than doo-wop.

No. No. No.
This album is one of the victims of Frank's 1984 remasters, where he replaced all the original bass and drum tracks with new tracks by Arthur Barrow and Chad Wackerman. The videos above are all OK - not too different from the original - but "No. No. No." was destroyed in 1984. Barrow's funk bass on the remix sounds like a fish out of water in a doo-wop song. The original version (below) is a fun little jam, and sounds much better.

Voting is now open!
@Mosh, @Shadow, @JudasMyGuide, @Deus_Adrian and all others, go!

Easy. Last five. I like Ruben and the Jets but it doesn't hold up to anything from Money.

Would like to give a mention to the final song though, Stuff Up the Cracks. As far as I remember, it's the only song on the album containing a guitar solo, and it's a good one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I admit I don't like the album (Ruben, that is) at all, bar maybe Jelly Roll Gum Drop and Stuff Up the Cracks. Whether you call it pastiche or parody, or paint it as a sincere remembrance of Zappa's youth (which is improbable, but not impossible), I don't see the point. Never been that much of a fan of doo-wop and a whole album dedicated to it (whether sincerely or insincerely) sounds dated to me.

So it's Harry, Idiot Bastard Son, Cheap Thrillls, Love of My Life and No No No for me.

Whether you call it pastiche or parody, or paint it as a sincere remembrance of Zappa's youth (which is improbable, but not impossible),
I think it's both. Frank genuinely loved the genre, but he acknowledged the ridiculous things about it too, particularly the lyrics. Honestly I think the renditions on this album are so well done that only someone who had a genuine interest and knowledge of the music could've pulled it off. I would point to the Iron Maiden tribute epic thing that got posted here a few years ago as another good example. Anybody remember that? It was written in the style of Maiden and perfectly captured it. Only someone who has spent a lot of time listening to and studying Maiden could've come up with that. It's a different type of parody than what you usually see, which is often far less clever.

Anyway, I think it's meant to sound dated. By the time this album came out, The Mothers had a reputation that kept them off the radio. This was Zappa's attempt at one last chance of radio play for the Mothers, by passing it off as the debut album for a new band: Ruben and the Jets. It's supposed to sound like a legitimate doo wop album. I'm not sure if this worked or not.

For those who want to hear the original version - without 1980s drum and bass overdubs - it was released on CD some years ago under the title Greasy Love Songs. Available from all major torrent sites. :innocent:

My years of Zappa-listening has made me develop a soft spot for doo wop, so I quite like Ruben & the Jets. I want to put in a particular good word for "Later That Night" (the closet bit at the end gives the teenage love spoof lyrics an extra edge).

Anyway, I think it's meant to sound dated. By the time this album came out, The Mothers had a reputation that kept them off the radio. This was Zappa's attempt at one last chance of radio play for the Mothers, by passing it off as the debut album for a new band: Ruben and the Jets. It's supposed to sound like a legitimate doo wop album. I'm not sure if this worked or not.

I don't think Zappa was really serious about that. After all, it says Mothers of Invention right there on the cover.

I think it's meant to sound dated.

No question about it. This is the same band that just did WOIIFTM. And is about to do Uncle Meat. Zappa is a guy who spent five years living in a recording studio. He got the sound he wanted; dated, by intent.

In 1967, Zappa made a commercial for Luden's Cough Drops. This commercial won a Clio Award (Oscars of the ad industry) for "Best Use of Sound".

These songs are all great, but I'm going for the songs that didn't go on to become live favorites, as those generally don't work quite as well out of context. Absolutely Free being the major exception, great song in and out of context and I don't think there's a live version of it. Who Needs the Peace Corps was done in 88 but it isn't my favorite live rendition of a Zappa tune.

"Absolutely Free", "Let's Make The Water Turn Black", "The Idiot Bastard Son" and "Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance" are promoted to the finals.

Our third group of songs will finish up the albums from the original Mothers.

Uncle Meat (April 1969, Official release #6)
unilp23839.jpg

Dog Breath, in the Year of the Plague
Usually known simply as "Dog Breath". Here's the first presentation, from Uncle Meat:

And here's what is probably the best-known version, live with Flo and Eddie:

A Pound for a Brown on the Bus
That's brown as in brown-eye. The title was inspired by Zappa's band showing theirs to passing traffic from the Zappa bus. The pound is how much Zappa bet they wouldn't do it. It's one of Zappa's oldest melodies, much older than the Mothers, untitled until Uncle Meat.

Here's a great live version from 1982 (the Steve Vai era).

Although not part of the game, as it's not much of a song, this is my favorite track from Uncle Meat:
Ian Underwood freaks out on alto sax in 5/8.

More coming soon!

We're getting to a point in the Zappa discography where the compositions, in their best forms, become long, comples, and dense. If you're new to these songs and short on time, the original Uncle Meat versions of these songs can be skipped. The later versions I'm posting first in each pair are better. The Uncle Meat versions are also very good if you have the time, but their sound is still very 60s.

Mr. Green Genes

This one is most famous in the version from Hot Rats as "Son of Mr. Green Genes", where it is transformed into a stunning instrumental.

Here's the original from Uncle Meat, with the lyrics.

Cruisin' For Burgers
This version is another instrumental showcase. It's from Zappa in New York, recorded the week Zappa hosted Saturday Night Live.

The original version has some lyrics, and then moves into the first version of the instrumental.
If you like this one, there's a live version on Make a Jazz Noise Here that has the vocal opening and the full instrumental.

King Kong
This one has no lyrics; it was one of Zappa's first epic pure instrumentals. Here's a live version by the original Mothers from October 1968:

The original "King Kong" from Uncle Meat is broken into several tracks, so here's a link to a Youtube playlist if you want to check them out in sequence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q35UsoqWShU&index=26&list=PL8WvZFiJpAr0IGse-KlbCGw-R_qO3s5mX

@Mosh, @Shadow, @Deus_Adrian, @JudasMyGuide and all others interested in Zappa:
All songs from Uncle Meat are now in the game, discuss and feel free to complain about my omissions. :bigsmile:

(However, don't vote yet... songs from Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Weasels Ripped My Flesh are still coming for this group!)

Last edited:
I wish to lodge a formal complaint about the exclusion of the "Main Title Theme". :p

Moving on...

I think Uncle Meat is one of Zappa's best albums, certainly on the level of Hot Rats from the same year. This is borne out by the amount of compositions that became staples later on ("Uncle Meat", "Dog Breath", "Pound for a Brown", "Cruising for Burgers", "King Kong"). Importantly, I think it's one of the most joyful Zappa albums. His social commentary can be fun and incisive, but sometimes it veers towards the pointlessly misanthropic (more so in later years), so it's refreshing to hear him and his band just play some great music without any obvious social agenda (Hot Rats and Burnt Weeny Sandwich are similar in this regard, as are the Roxy band albums). You get the sense that Zappa himself had more fun making this.

Burnt Weeny Sandwich, February 1970 (Official release #9)
Frank_Zappa_-_Burnt_Weeny_Sandwich.jpg

As Zappa noted in his autobiography The Real Frank Zappa Book, the name of this album comes from Zappa's favorite snack: A hot dog cooked until it bursts open, between a couple slice of bread.

WPLJ
One of Zappa's more charming doo-wop tunes IMO. The title stands for White Porter Lemon Juice (obv. from the lyrics), but WPLJ was also the name of New York City's biggest rock radio station at the time.

Holiday in Berlin
This is an instrumental. On Burnt Weeny Sandwich, this is split into an Overture and the "Full-Blown" version. Here's the full version:

Aybe Sea
A short but delightfully complex composition.

The Little House I Used To Live In
Here comes the first major epic of the game, clocking in at about seventeen minutes (the final part of the tape is audience applause and stage patter.). A jazz piano intro (about 1:45 long, played by Don Preston) leads into a wild jazz-rock roller coaster (there's a bit in 11/8 in the third minute). The violin solo that starts in the sixth minute is played by Don "Sugarcane" Harris.

Take a listen when you get the time and enjoy!

"WPLJ" is not a Zappa original:

And here's the original "Valerie", a bit more nakedly emotional than Zappa's cover:

Burnt Weeny Sandwich is an underrated album, I think. You could see it as a voyage through Zappa's musical roots - a couple of doo wop covers, a Stravinsky tribute, some jazz, some rock... and I've never heard anything else quite like "Little House I Used to Live In". Any prog rock fan should give this a spin.

BWS is one of my favorites. The two doowop songs are delightful, the jams in Little House are some of the best on a Zappa album, and Holiday in Berlin has some of my favorite melodies. I wouldn't disagree with any of the inclusions/exclusions, but I think Valerie is pretty underrated. I'd say BWS has the best versions of all these songs, although there aren't many renditions of them. Off the top of my head, there's Little House on Filmore East which is just the theme of the song (with added Flo and Eddie lyrics? I can't remember), there's a version of Holiday in Berlin on Ahead of their Time, and WPLJ on Does Humor Belong In Music. None of these come close to the BWS versions.

For those who enjoy this album and crave more like it, I highly recommend Finer Moments. In a lot of ways, it's a spiritual successor to BWS, even has the album cover in the background to acknowledge this connection.
MI0003464924.jpg

While it came out fairly recently, this was a compilation of material that FZ had put together himself but never released. Lots of good guitar moments, probably better soloing overall than on BWS actually, and some zany live moments. Very similar feel to BWS and (to a lesser extent) Weasels. It fits in perfectly with the two albums though. It also has an epic of its own: Subcutaneous Peril, which is a similar jam to Little House, but instead of being extracted from different performances of the same song, it's a mesh of recordings of Pound for a Brown and King Kong.

Back