Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Beautiful melodies by Davey, Stunning performance from Nick.
In my view, the most underappreciated song in the catalogue.
(At least it was until I discovered a Maidenfan who ranked it in his top six. You may have forced me to reconsider ;-) )
Great choice. Great song. Number 28 on my list.

Haha, they're still amazing, oh and I was just browsing the forums when came across something I wish I didn't, a post from you stating your favourite song. Well, I can still say I'm excited, let's just hope it's changed since then... :)

It feels Deja-Vu is indeed somewhat underappreciated. The next song is a different story:

No. 5 - Powerslave (see first post for 50-5)
(Dickinson, 1984 -> on stage-status: last time in 2009)

This is another Maiden monument. An interesting combination of menacing sharp riffs and a touch of dark mystery, with a very fitting Bruce delivery throughout the whole song (absolutely no shrieking as a few have tried to simplify his contribution, last month; Bruce sings with great sensitivity). The backing vocals in the chorus are particularly enjoyable as well, and Nicko's drum work (cool fills and china cymbal hits) is very nice to focus on..

Short lyrics but the instrumental midpiece is phenomenal. Dave's slow solo gets me every time I hear it. Live it's a thrilling treat but on the studio version as well. Later two more breathtaking solos follow. I witnessed Powerslave on the Chemical Wedding Tour first, with Adrian and bass player Eddie Casillas doing the backing vocals!

Powerslave is also a solid top 10 song for me. The solos in this one are among my favourites in the entire Maiden catalogue. It's a song I greatly enjoy playing on guitar.

I would not put it that high, but it's definively a great song. I'm surprised you didn't mention the bassline among the highlights of this song : Steve really surpassed himself in this song, as he often did in songs penned by the other guys (Sea of Madness and Stranger in a strange Land immediatly come to mind). The lyrics of Powerslave are great, and last but not least, it gave the idea for the stage design, which was really great. Another great and (I think) consentual choice.

No. 4 - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (see first post for 50-4)
(Harris, 1988 -> on stage-status: last time in 1988)

This mighty title track (and beating heart of the magnificent album it represents) is renowned for its threatening character. The heavy riffs during the couplets are spellbinding. I prefer the first half the most. These haunting melodies by Dave in the pre-chorus and the at least as spirited melodies of Adrian in the "post"-chorus evoke the innermost feelings from my soul.

Of course there is the sublime midpiece, which is one of the most atmospherical parts of the whole Maiden catalogue. During this lengthy part Nicko's hi-hat work should not be underestimated. The lyrics (and the way they are sung by sorcerer Bruce) are intriguing. And when Bruce stops, he is not missed at all. The music takes over and enlarges our vision into second sight. ;)

Last but not least: This keyboards have a very important role, and the song would not be the same without them.

So shall it be written, and so it shall be done.

Definitely my favorite song ever. I'm really pleased to see it so high, although I would rank it even higher. This song sounds so different, and I can't see another one in the whole Maiden catalogue that has the same feel. The first part is great, but it's surpassed by the incredible instrumental part, a song in itself, like in To Tame a Land. I really love the fact that the sung parts are limited to the first half of the song. You're absolutely right in outlining the role of the keyboards, which contribute in creating a very special atmosphere. It's a real shame this song has only been played during one tour. I only saw Maiden once in 1988, in Paris, and I clearly remember that Seventh Son was the highlight of the show, everybody singing along, with Steve jumping on his feet. Great moments.

Hey guys this is a cry for help from a sister of yours in Greece....I have turned to everywhere i could but it seems that noone gives a shit about someone like me and you anymore.So the only one that might want and can and want to help is each one for the other,here is what i am dealing with....My name is Georgia,i am 19 years old.I am from Greece.I live with my mother,i am an only child and i never meet my father.My mother has very sirius psycological problems(schizophrenia) and she doesn't work.I am hairdresser and i am not working because doctors said to me to dont work for 6 months because i am suffering from radiculitis.We have to pay 19.700 euros on a bank and now we dont have the money and the bank will do eviction.Maybe the money i need sounds funny for you.My mother takes a pension 420euros per month and we pay amost 200 euros for her medicine.We dont have enough money for eatting and living.I hope you will be able to help me because you are my last hope.If you want,i can provide you all the papers of doctors and from bank..i dont have internet connection and i right now i am sending you from a friend's computer.Please help us as you can(i am not asking you to give us all the money we need,just to give us a little help).I am not asking you to help me for myself as much i am asking you to help my mother.Thank you very much for your time,sorry for bothering you with it....
p.s. I am one of you-a crazy maiden's fan and you cound be like me.United we stand divited we fall.Whoever wants my email is this:moonlightghost@hotmail.com

I think this one would be amazing if it were reintroduced into the live set. The Maiden England version was great, and the 3 guitars would more than do it justice. Mariner is a great song, but I've always preferred this from all the other 80s epics (apart from AtG)

Two epic tracks
Powerslave would be a contender for my top 10 if the rest of the song was as good as the instrumental, which is stunning.
Still a great song and a worthy pick, 30 on my list.

I'm not as fond of 7th Son as many are.
From my Daily Song review:
"The definition of an epic, but not the definitive epic. The opening is grand, portentous and a little dark. The lyrics intriguing. The ending is pure instrumental genius. But it does veer into the realm of ponderousness and the chorus…meh at best. This is an excellent template that was eventually perfected with Sign of the Cross. A great song, but flawed."
I ranked it number 66. :eek:

Powerslave is also a solid top 10 song for me. The solos in this one are among my favourites in the entire Maiden catalogue. It's a song I greatly enjoy playing on guitar.

Cool. Any particular moments which are easier and which are more difficult to do?

I only saw Maiden once in 1988, in Paris, and I clearly remember that Seventh Son was the highlight of the show, everybody singing along, with Steve jumping on his feet. Great moments.

Only show you ever saw? Still a great setlist!

Oh cool, Seventh Son is No. 4 on my list too.

:cheers:
I think this one would be amazing if it were reintroduced into the live set. The Maiden England version was great, and the 3 guitars would more than do it justice.

That would be something!

Two epic tracks
Powerslave would be a contender for my top 10 if the rest of the song was as good as the instrumental, which is stunning.
Still a great song and a worthy pick, 30 on my list.

I'm not as fond of 7th Son as many are.
From my Daily Song review:
"The definition of an epic, but not the definitive epic. The opening is grand, portentous and a little dark. The lyrics intriguing. The ending is pure instrumental genius. But it does veer into the realm of ponderousness and the chorus…meh at best. This is an excellent template that was eventually perfected with Sign of the Cross. A great song, but flawed."
I ranked it number 66. :eek:

Wow, didn't expect these to be so low!

No. 3 - Infinite Dreams (see first post for 50-3)
(Harris, 1988 -> on stage-status: last time in 1988)

This song has my favourite vocal melodies, from the whole Maiden catalogue. When Bruce starts singing "Even though it's reached new heights" I am totally under some kind of spell. One of the best parts ever!

It's not just the singing, it's the combination with the music underneath. From the first seconds of this song Nicko plays his instrument with delicate feel, but in this "Even though" part he goes into a stimulating groove, together with good old 'Arry. The keyboards make it all richer and between the chords Adrian does this nice melody. What's also cool about this part is that it is a slower part than the previous one. I think this is pretty rare for Maiden, definitely when it's early in a song, and I feel it certainly makes it the more special.

Later on, Adrian and Dave play some nice harmonies. The one starting at 4:02 is one of the very best guitar harmonies in the world of music (check that galloping bass underneath!). The solos are very nice, with piercing high tones. The way Adrian ends is really cool.

The lyrics are quite intriguing as well, so is the pretty unique atmosphere of this well constructed melodic masterpiece.

Oo-hoo now we're talking! If there were something I'd like to hear, it would be a three-guitar harmony version of Infinite Dreams. Perhaps not the intro, but the one starting at 4:02 that you're referring to.

Cool. Any particular moments which are easier and which are more difficult to do?

I'd say the easier part is the guitar backing for the first solo. Quite simple.

Except for the solos, there are no really hard parts in the song, but the guitar backing for the chorus requires that you do a little tremolo picking (at least I play it with tremolo picking).

The main riff has been my personal introduction to playing Maiden.

The distorted solos are currently beyond my level, but I'm working on it :)

Only show you ever saw? Still a great setlist!

No sorry, I've seen Maiden a lot more times since 1986. I meant that I only saw them once during that particular tour. I mentionned it because Maiden played Paris two consecutive nights in september 1988, and Ididn't feel the need to go to the second show. Thinking about that, I feel so stupid.

Infinite Dreams was a tough for me to respond to. It's definitely worthy of being a top 10 song on anyone's list. It definitely was a top 10 song for me when it was new.
Why it is "just" a respectable 42 now, I'm not really sure.
Maybe the answer is in the last line of my daily song review:
"Great song with great atmosphere. Love the slow build, the multiple sections and the unconventional structure. Similar feel to Revelations or Children of the Damned, and it has more interesting things going on than either, but doesn’t quite have the grand emotional smack of that pair."

I'm with Jonszat on your number two (I know number one).
If your sig wasn't a dead giveaway, the fact it hasn't shown on your countdown yet despite the fact you reviewed it "straight fucking 10, indeed" should be. :ok:

Back