Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Re: Forostar's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Fortunes of War is an underrated piece, not that high in my book, nor so far behind.

Sign of the Cross is one of eleven Maiden songs that gets a perfect 10 from me. 11th in my book.

This is one Top 50 I'll definitely be following.  You have some (a lot) heretical ideas sometimes but you usually justify them damn well too. :ok:

Some might dock Sign of the Cross points for following the template of 7th Son. I say it’s a better song — better melodies, more emotional feel. Love the slow build and the plodding, unstoppably bleak feel of the intro and the verses. Good chorus too, but I disagree with you on the instrumental portion. In my view, this is where this song shines most. And that's probably why it comes in more than 30 places higher on my list — 15th to be exact.

Nice pick! Similar to where I would have it :)

SotC 61 for me so again not that far adrift yet still higher than me. A brilliant emotional song and definitely works for Rock in Rio.
No tomatoes just yet Foro  ;)

No. 48 - Childhood's End
(Harris, 1992 -> on stage-status: never played)

The one but best track of Fear of the Dark's A side. There's some fine guitar work on it. Not only lead, I also dig the playing and sound of the rhythm guitars in the couplets. The atmosphere is enriched with the perfectly fitting keyboards. The chorus is a bit of an experiment with that fast bass riff and drum accompaniment, but it works fine.

The solo is a very special one in the catalogue: Dave and Janick tried to fool the listener.
At first, it sounds like one solo by one person, but in fact Janick starts and Dave takes over fluently (and not at a typical moment) and ends it.

This puzzled me for years but after reading an interview about this with Bruce I finally could analyze it well.

The "switch" takes place at around 3:04/3:05 in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8-eeQBiRac

No. 47 - That Girl
(Barnett/Goldsworth/Jupp, 1986 -> on stage-status: never played, at least not by Maiden, hehe)

There's a special vibe in this song. It's not heavy, but at least not Bryan Adamish or Bon Jovish (as opposed to Reach Out!).

Probably still my favourite B-side in the catalogue. Even though the song wasn't written by Maiden, it's still in Maiden's discography, thus a Maiden song which can be selected for my top 50. :)

The guitar harmonies, the guitar synth and the melancholic feel really grabbed me the first time I heard it (20 years ago) and I still think it hasn't lost much of it's glory. Beautiful solo by Dave and Bruce's last vocal is really excellent!
Check here the FM version (cool solo).

Childhood's End is my second favourite on Fear too after Afraid to Shoot Strangers! It's just an awesome song but very underrated.

Have never heard That Girl :p :S

I'm listening to it right now and its pretty good so far :D

Pretty good song that too :) and Adrian sings very well!

Sorry for hijacking your thread Foro, I'll finish with this :D

If you like Adrian's vocals - he released one album with a band called A.S.A.P. - and sang all vocals on it. Some songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fljMCnBGTj8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk_LfhPhmS4

On topic: I'm not really a big fan of any of these songs on the list so far, but I like your reviews so I'll keep following :cheers:

Childhoods end, another bloody good song and again a similar distance ahead of where i put it  :lol:  :ok:

Night Prowler said:
If you like Adrian's vocals - he released one album with a band called A.S.A.P. -
bought it  ;) should be here tomorrow god willing.
Adrians got a surprising voice, i think he should share vocals with bruce studio side personally. It would add depth (as long as steve didnt get involved    :ninja:)

That Girl  :bigsmile:
Now there's a pleasant little surprise.
Just a nice little understated mid-tempo composition with, as you say, cool guitar harmonies and a nice melancholic feel.
I only ranked album tracks, so I don't have a place for this.
From non-album tracks, it gets beat only by Virus. Right there with Cross Eyed Mary in the elite group.
It's probably a low eight, high seven by Maiden standards, so in the 60 to 100 range. That's the area I find hardest to rank.

Childhood's End is 90th — definitely lower than I would have predicted before I did my rankings, because its always been a FotD dark horse favourite for me.
Guess it's more of  reflection of how strong the catalogue is than the calibre of this track. Not much to choose between it and songs I have ranked 20 places higher.
A tasteful vintage Maiden intro followed by those unexpected and delicious rolling drums sets the stage for what I’ve always considered a rather elegant song, despite the fact it is correctly classified as a rocker. The lyrics are in line with the bittersweet music, but too superficial to match the pathos. High on style, a little lacking in substance.

Tron said:
Adrians got a surprising voice, i think he should share vocals with bruce studio side personally. It would add depth (as long as steve didnt get involved    :ninja:)
Yeah! Dave could play the marackas too.  :)

Janick could play the flute!  :ninja:

Janick with a flute could work  :lol:
And nicko could grab an Oboe

mckindog said:
the 60 to 100 range. That's the area I find hardest to rank.

It's pretty impossible for me I am afraid. The differences would be immensely small.

mckindog said:
Childhood's End is 90th — definitely lower than I would have predicted before I did my rankings, because its always been a FotD dark horse favourite for me.
Guess it's more of  reflection of how strong the catalogue is than the calibre of this track. Not much to choose between it and songs I have ranked 20 places higher.

I hold the nineties (especially the first three albums) higher in regard than most others so you'll surely see some more picks from this era, in my top 50.

Night Prowler said:
Yes, The Lion!  :shred:

No. 46 - Remember Tomorrow
(Harris/Di'Anno, 1980 -> on stage-status: last time in 2005)

A special song. Impressive atmosphere.
The calm music itself gives me the idea of journeying with a mysterious traveller, going towards an unknown destination. As soon as the bass intro starts, the traveller begins to walk, and I follow.

I really like Paul's performance, one of his best. The rather long intense midpart presents a sort of tension, hardly to be found on Killers.

Bruce could play the didgeridoo! :D

Childhoods End is a great pick Foro!

So is Remember Tomorrow!

Tron said:
Janick with a flute could work  :lol:
And nicko could grab an Oboe
I can't wait for an epic, ultrafast flute-solo.  :p

Both in live shows and in the studio. I especially feel that Hallowed Be Thy Name live could benefit from some flute (Janick plays H's solo, right?).

Took me years to get it, but one of the better songs on the album.
Love the atmosphere and the dynamics of the composition.
Along with Phantom it's one of two debut tracks that really showed what the band might be capable of.
Where I differ from you is I don't think this one elevates to the special level.
And while I like Paul's voice on it, seeing Bruce perform the song showed me how good it could have been.
88th overall for me. Like Childhood, it could easily move up 20 places.

...and Steve Harris could play the lute. Wearing a big floppy hat with a feather in it. And pantaloons.

Back