For the Greater Good of God

How good is For the Greater Good of God on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'For The Greater Good Of God'

thousand_suns said:
What I hate most is when Westerners label Muslims as terrorists. This happened since September 11, when Muslims in the U.S.A. and the whole world alike are blamed for such attacks.

Not most westerners, just the fat rednecks wearing "Drill baby, drill" t-shirts in Kentuckee.

Most reasonable westerners know that not all Muslims are extremists or terrorists (much like how not all Americans are Conservative redneck Christians holding "god hates fags" signs).

Re: 'For The Greater Good Of God'

Don't bother responding to thousand_suns, SH. He was an idiot, and has been banned for quite some time now.

And in general, there's rarely any good reason for responding to a 3 year old post. B)

Daily Song: For the Greater Good of God

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: For the Greater Good of God

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

It took me a long time to warm up to this song. I found it somewhat repetitive at first, and slow and meandering. But as I thought about it, perhaps that is the message here.

I won't shock any of the longtime Maiden fans by noting that I'm an atheist who occasionally dabbles in anti-theism. This song isn't from an atheist perspective (see my review of Starblind for a song that is), but it is from the perspective of a believer who's lost his faith in his religion's inherit "goodness". Steve wrote this song from top to bottom, and as I see it, the repetitiveness, the slow, the plodding, refers to Christianity's inability, especially in the Middle Ages, to get out of its own way; its inability to progress technologicially, even in the face of an Arab enemy who was mastering gunpowder and other new technologies; a religious dictatorship in the form of Medieval Catholicism that demanded murder in the name of a supposedly-loving Jesus, time and time again, repeating a damned liturgy, until Luther forced reform on the Church. Steve might have meant it that way. He might not have. But the song is a perfect metaphor for the repetitive excuses we see from higher Catholicism (and other Christian movements) today. They refuse to advance and when confronted by their sins sing the same old song.

Can you tell me now what love is?

10/10.

Re: Daily Song: For the Greater Good of God

Until LC's post, I never knew what the lyrics are about :D The song is catchy and epic, and works great live, and it deserves 10/10 :rocker:

Nice melody on the intro and great rhythm when the pace picks up. Neither the pre-chorus nor the chorus are strong enough to carry the amount of time they take centre stage. This, probably more than any reunion number, is guilty of the oft-cited Harris sin of repetition. A strong lyric and the general epic feel keep it from getting a fail though. In fact, it’s quite good, just overblown. Seven.

Whilst I agree that the "Please tell me now what... is" and the chorus are not good enough to be so focal to the song I do think that the intro, verses and some of the melodies in the instrumental make this an excellent song. The part starting at 6:44 is great and then the melody at 6:58 is the highlight of the song. It's brilliant and gives the song something to build towards. I'd argue that they should repeat that another few times and leave out a few of the choruses.

8 from me. Lyrically it's a lot better than the music and I agree with mckindog on that point.

I think the music in this song is kinda bland (except for adrians solo) but the lyrics are very good.

8/10

'For the Greater Good Of God' is awesome, stunning, epic, divine, well, it's my favourite Maiden song ever. Bruce is so cool on this one. The first chorus is the best part in a Maiden song ever.

Please tell me now what life is
Please tell me know what love is
Well tell me know what war is
Again tell me what life is

:notworthy: to Mr. Steve Harris who surpassed himself with this achievement.

10/10 ain't high enough, where the hell is the 11 option...?

A top ten Maiden song for me, and probably my favorite of the 2000's. Amazing, ten.

I also think this is a kickass song. However, repetition does take it's toll. Lyrics are from believers view, i can't stand organized religion but there's nothing wrong with believers that keep an open mind and critical approach. Musically, it's excellent, pre-chorus repetition bugs me a bit, therefore 9.

To be honest, I am getting a bit tired of such "complain"-lyrics. I find them a bit outdated, for an open minded songwriter of the 21st century. Is this still rebellious in these ages? When Tull's Aqualung came out in 1971, that was something back in the day! That was new and it shocked some masses, especially in the USA.

LC points out some specific things, but 'Arry's lyrics are vague. They could mean anything. Now if only he had the guts to formulate something more directly....

Cosmiceddie said:
The first chorus is the best part in a Maiden song ever.

Please tell me now what life is
Please tell me know what love is
Well tell me know what war is
Again tell me what life is

I  :notworthy: to Mr. Steve Harris who surpassed himself with this achievement.

You know what? Steve Harris knows what life is, he knows what love is, and he knows what war is (though not as well as a soldier of course, but in ATSS he tried well). And again he asks what life is.

Life is as it is, and these constant naive questions to God begin to bore me a bit. Pleeeeeeease. Tell me something, tell me something I know already.

These lyrics would have been more impressive if some monk would sing this in some church mass.

I am not too impressed by the development of the music either, because of the big repetition, and I find the instrumental part also somewhat unoriginal. Overblown is indeed a good summary, mckindog, both lyrically and musically.

Still, I'll give an 8, because I really like the beginning of the song and in particularly Bruce's singing, especially

.. a holy war winner..." Great expression!

10/10. The anger that I hear in Bruce`s vocal delivery is perfect for Steve`s accusatory lyrics... such power in both.
Forostar said:
To be honest, I am getting a bit tired of such "complain"-lyrics. I find them a bit outdated, for an open minded songwriter of the 21st century. Is this still rebellious in these ages?
I just can`t see how asking the`big questions` is outdated or construed as``complain`lyrics. I think Steve`s lyrics on this one are archetypal, and reflect the questions and frustrations of many of us.

Masterful work by the whole band on this one.

My early favourite from this album, and I still think it is one of the best. Steve has his best moment since Blood on the World's Hands, Bruce has never sounded better, and the three amigos seem to be playing for their lives. The lyrics stand out as some of the best they have ever done:

A life that's made to breathe destruction or defense
A mind that's vain corruption bad or good intent
A wolf in sheep's clothing
Or saintly or sinner
Or some that would believe
A holy war winner

(...)

And as they search to find the bodies in the sand
They'll find its ashes that are scattered across the land
And as their spirits seem to whistle on the wind
A shot is fired somewhere, another war begins

In reply to Foro's comments, I don't want them to be more specific. Specific lyrics, especially when commenting on something happening in the world right now, tend to be outdated very soon. These lyrics are more timeless, you can listen to them and think of 9/11 the same way you can listen to them and look at what is happening in Libya right now, or elsewhere. It's a matter of taste, I guess.

10/10.

Back