Flight 666 Double DVD Out This May!

pilau said:
The Film hasn't been released yet, so unless somebody here has sources in IM management, no one can tell you. But I belive that what you see is what you get. The details regarding future releases of the band were usually straight-forward and didn't hide anything for a surprise.

Fair enough. It's just i'd seen a number of secondhand quotes from Sam and others, saying that they'd be loads of extra stuff on the DVD as they had so much footage.

I guess the "loads of extras" is covered by a complete concert but just a little disappointed that all the time an effort we spent on that interview/filming has (besides the experience of the whole thing) been wasted.

Oh well. Can't wait for the release regardless.

question

Bought it today.

To the one(s) who already saw the whole thing, I am wondering about the following:

Do the live clips from the documentary literally come back on the live show disc?

If yes, I wonder what is less dissatisfying:

A. To first see the film and later have tons of deja-vu's when seeing the live show
B. To first see the concert and later have tons of deja-vu's when seeing the film

If no: excellent! :)

Please tell me your experiences, maybe I am too negative about this.

I posted this because I hate to see things twice on the same release, that's why. People who know the DVD that came with Judas Priest's Angel of Retribution will know what I mean.  :down:

First: Yes, they do have portions of the shows on the documentary, and I'm pretty sure that's lifted straight from the video.  However, the parts are not that long, usually about a minute in length
(plus the entire Hallowed IIRC).

But, look at it this way: You've seen Run to the Hills, Fear of the Dark, etc. many times live (probably), maybe dozens (?) of times on live videos, and hundreds of times on live or studio albums.  Have you gotten tired of hearing them yet?  There's only so many different versions of The Number of the Beast you can see before you get a deja vu feeling.  Even seeing Maiden the first time live, I had the feeling that "I've seen this before" for a couple of songs. 

Seeing Flight 666 in theaters, I did not have this feeling.  That should tell you something, but then again that was the theater experience.  But I doubt you'd have too much deja vus, as the songs in the documentary are rather short parts.  I've seen a metal documentary with portions from LAD and Rock in Rio, and it didn't bother me.  Sure, there's a lot more repetition when the documentary is only about Maiden, but it wouldn't bother me (still undecided whether to get the DVD or not).  I would watch the film first, and then the concert, so you'd have the reward of "ah, so this is how the rest of it goes".  :)

Invader said:
I would watch the film first, and then the concert, so you'd have the reward of "ah, so this is how the rest of it goes".  :)

Thanks for the feedback Invader. Guess this might be the best thing to do.

Well, I got a little impatient (Flight 666 doesn't come out 'till the 9th in NA), so I downloaded the audio CD.  Very impressed by both the quality of the performances, and the fact that their doesn't seem to be any overdubs: the version of Wasted Years from Monterrey I was sure they would overdub, seeing as not only did Adrian make a mistake in the intro, but Bruce even commented on it. 

Also, the chorus features plenty of H singing.

Anyways, sounds great so far.

What mistake did Adrian made? (By the way, is it correct to say it this way? 'did Adrian made'? It doesn't sound right to me)

pilau said:
What mistake did Adrian made? (By the way, is it correct to say it this way? 'did Adrian made'? It doesn't sound right to me)

It's not correct. Past Perfect Simple requires the second verb to be in present tense: Did Adrian make.

There we go. Linguistics finally got the better of me.

I guess the soundtrack leaked recently, eh? Or was the CD issued ahead of the movie?

Anyway, I just downloaded it as well, I have to say that it sounds brilliant! As for Wasted Years, the parts where Adrian sings on his own totally rock! :D Didn't quite notice what the mistake in the intro was...

Pilau, it's correct to say "what mistake did he make".

Just before Bruce says "Ooh, beer on the desk" Adrian hit a Eb instead of an E in the opening riff when he repeated it.

Oh... :D

BTW, in Can I Play With Madness, it seems that Bruce actually never sings the title words until the second chorus, it's just Steve & H (and the crowd). :D And I like the fact that they didn't overdub stuff like that during the post-production like on Rock in Rio.

Edit: I gave it a more thorough listen this afternoon. Although I prefer Adrian's soloing style, I have to say that Dave was in better shape on his solos, he played them practically note-for-note, while Adrian overtapped and over-tremolo-ed himself :D (Wasted Years, Powerslave, ROTAM) - in my opinion, his studio solos are superior.

Just saw the film.

I expected a bit more behind the scenes and a bit less music (tgere's enough of that on the 2nd disc), but I enjoyed it from first to last second!

Excellent job of the makers!

Ah, yeah, and I also like the way Maiden portrayed Mr. Trunk:
As someone who does not understand the band.

Perfect answer to his ramblings. Just f**kin' perfect.

Perun said:
It's not correct. Past Perfect Simple requires the second verb to be in present tense: Did Adrian make.
gulranek said:
Pilau, it's correct to say "what mistake did he make".

Thanks

Anyway, my uncle who lives in L.A. will come to visit us in august, so yesterday I talked with him about the Flight 666 DVD and he suggested to buy it for me and to bring it here when he comes! This is so cool! I didn't ask for it, but I hope he will get me the Deluxe edition :bigsmile:

GuineaPig said:
Just before Bruce says "Ooh, beer on the desk" Adrian hit a Eb instead of an E in the opening riff when he repeated it.

Oh, well, I think it's the first Maiden release with such a prominent mistake, right? I mean, Bruce's vocals aren't always the best, and sometimes the guitarists change the solos live a little bit, or miss a note or two, but I don't think that ever happened. I mean, like Adrian's mistake.

gulranek said:
BTW, in Can I Play With Madness, it seems that Bruce actually never sings the title words until the second chorus, it's just Steve & H (and the crowd). :D And I like the fact that they didn't overdub stuff like that during the post-production like on Rock in Rio.

They really did that? As much as I love Maiden, that's pretty lame. Do you know why did they did that? Do you know on which songs? Thanks.

Forostar -> Did you see it in a cinema or did you get ahold of the dvd?

pilau -> I assume you're asking about the "overdubs" on RiR. Firstly, the "overdubs" were actually Bruce's vocals from the same show, copy-pasted over parts where he let the crowd sing. (Here's Steve's official statement about that.) But hey, it fits the definition of an overdub.

Off the top of my head, you can hear it during The Clansman (really sloppy editing there, VERY obvious, I bet Steve himself did it with no Kevin Shirley near him), during the "No, we can't let them take any more" part, also the "Ooooh ooooh ooooh oooh" part right after that.

Then there's Fear of the Dark during the intro when he usually says "you!" (the crowd then sings "Fear of the dark" and Bruce follows with an evil laughter).

And finally The Wicker Man, during the chorus right before the solo, he sings "Your time will come! Rio! Your time will- Aaaaah yeah!". I suspect that the part between "Rio!" and "Aaaaah yeah!" was also inserted afterwards.

Other singalong parts such as the "Oooh oooh ooh" part in The Trooper etc could have also been added, but that's a little less obvious. There's a Brazilian tv recording of the show available for download, it has the unedited live material, so that would be the best way to find other post-edits.

Forostar said:
Ah, yeah, and I also like the way Maiden portrayed Mr. Trunk:
As someone who does not understand the band.

Was Trunk the guy who asked about favorite song to play and to who Bruce explained the idea of the tour?

gulranek said:
pilau -> I assume you're asking about the "overdubs" on RiR. Firstly, the "overdubs" were actually Bruce's vocals from the same show, copy-pasted over parts where he let the crowd sing. (Here's Steve's official statement about that.) But hey, it fits the definition of an overdub.

That's funny! You know why? Because when I first listened to RiR I noticed that every time Bruce told the crowd "You!" or "Your turn!" or "Sing it Rio!", you get my drift, he almost always sings the line along with them, and I thought, man, what's up with him, he doesn't let the crowd sing on his own - and I reckoned that was quite stupid of him. Do you know why did they do those overdubs?

Part of Steve's statement:

“What HAS happened is that I made an executive decision to cut and paste with a computer to put back in, his LIVE on the night vocals into parts where he was getting the audience to sing on some choruses on some lines on their own. The reason I did this is because in the cold light of day it sounds better with him back in there because sometimes the audience were either out of time or not quite loud enough. So I simply cut out parts of his vocal on the line before and pasted it into the next line, which was possible because it was a repetitive part.

Silly reasons, IMO. The out of time problem could have been resolved by manually shifting the audience to fit in properly, and the loudness by adding more gain.

gulranek said:
Forostar -> Did you see it in a cinema or did you get ahold of the dvd?

The DVD (I bought it on Friday).

Invader said:
Was Trunk the guy who asked about favorite song to play and to who Bruce explained the idea of the tour?

Yes, but his first question and Bruce's reaction is what I especially mean (and the later comments of Bruce).
Painful silence of someone who doesn't understand it. Bruce gave him time and later decided to explain it.

Something else:
I saw something which can be seen as an edit by the band. During the last chat with Adrian, in the dressing room, just before the Toronto gig, you can see some cuts, probably of him putting his cigarette in and out of his mouth.
If you look carefully, you suddenly see smoke coming out of his mouth. :)

And I was a bit surprised (in a positive way!) by Adrian when he talks about Janick. Adrian sometimes goes to him with his musical ideas. I hadn't realized that the guitarists would show eachother their ideas first (to get feedback, not to write together), before bringing it to Steve/Bruce.  :)

Question: when Steve visits Kevin Shirley I can almost swear I heard they were mixing a live version of Blood Brothers in the background. Or was it another song? What's the idea of doing this in the middle of the 2008 tour?
I have to see it again I guess...! It certainly makes me curious.

I am pretty sure, that it was For The Greater Good of God, that they were mixing...I hope it means the Donnington DVD is getting close to release :)

Back