Flight 666 Double DVD Out This May!

pilau

Nomad
Hi everyone, just thought you'd like to know, EMI is going to release Flight 666 on a Double DVD and also on BluRay next month!
The release will include both the film and a compilation of all of the songs on the set from 16 different cities filmed during the first leg of the tour. The concert will be also released on a double CD and a double vinyl picture disc. I read it on the IM website, here's the link to the full report:
http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?cat ... cleid=1125

Hello people.

I know that will be a Deluxed DVD Edition and a Blu-Ray one, but I wonder if the Blu-Ray edition will be the deluxed edition from the DVD's, if not if we will have to wait for a Blu Ray deluxed edition or if will no be a Blu ray extended edition at all.

Thank you.

From the link Pilau provided:

The film FLIGHT 666 is being released in the following manner:

Long-play Blu-ray with FLIGHT 666: THE FILM  and FLIGHT 666: The Concert (215 minutes)*

Double DVD
Disc One: FLIGHT 666 : THE FILM (112 minutes) 
Disc Two: FLIGHT 666 : The Concert (104 minutes)*

Plus Limited Edition Deluxe Double DVD of the above with special packaging and 30 page booklet

FLIGHT 666: The Original Soundtrack album - Double CD*

FLIGHT 666: The Original Soundtrack album - Limited Edition Double Vinyl Picture Disc

Cool, the special edition dvd with the 40-page booklet is not too expensive, 20 quid... The standard edition is 16 quid.

Amazon only offers pre-sale shipping to the USA! What's with that? What about the rest of the world?

Just got home to find these on the doormat B)

Slight pisser is that my DVD player's on the blink so I haven't been able to watch it.  :(

It's a 2 DVD promo, as well as a sampler from the soundtrack.

DSC02885.jpg

Kuroda said:
June 9th can't come soon enough. Have to pick up a Bluray copy.

Any reason to believe that the BluRay is going to have TrueHD audio or 1080p video?  Or, are they simply using the BluRay tech to combine the two DVDs onto one disc?  For those of you who saw the film in theaters -- was it shot in HD?   

cornfedhick said:
Any reason to believe that the BluRay is going to have TrueHD audio or 1080p video?  Or, are they simply using the BluRay tech to combine the two DVDs onto one disc?  For those of you who saw the film in theaters -- was it shot in HD?   

I've never seen HD in video theaters before, but I'm pretty sure it was.  It looked damn good at the very least.  But I've never watched a single film in HD before, so maybe someone else can confirm or counter this?

OK, my understanding of HD:  any movie film can be formatted into HD for a dvd.  Because movies use film, rather than a digital format, they are considered HD.  When converting them a digital format, that is where the difference between a standard dvd and a HD (or Blu-Ray) dvd is made. --has to do with screen resolution; when watching an actual film, you see the entire picture every frame, on a tv, the resolution is based on pixles, so that is your 720/1080 (progressive or interlace: p or i)

Now, tv shows have the option to be 'filmed' in standard or HD.  So, it depends on how they actually filmed this event.  My guess is that they used actual film, rather than a digital format, but I don't know for sure.

But, that doesn't actually answer the question of what format they are using for the Blu-Ray disc....

EDIT:  Well, i was wrong, this was filmed digitally, instead of in 35mm.  However, I can't find any info on whether or not it is 1080i or 1080p, or how the soundtrack is formatted... tho, unless you have HDMI pass-through on your receiver, you won't get the full HD audio.

First of all, the BluRay format is HD-native (storage-wise). Any new film today is released on BluRay, because many leading companies in the film industry have realized this format is superior to HD-DVD. According to the commercials, Flight 666 was filmed in HD format, meaning the sound and picture were recorded directly into digital media - No film was used.
The format is 1080p, because 1080i is a TV broadcasting format, and we're not talking TV here.

The purpose of the double DVD release is to reach the entire market - BluRay is not yet the popular format, it's still too expensive and still many people can't afford a player, while
DVD player costs 20$.

Where are the good old days where you just filmed something and put it out on a video tape or a silver disc... I needed years to get used to DVDs, I'm not going to buy into this Blu(E for heaven's sake, write it correctly!)ray or HD crap.

So it seems there are no "extras" on any of the DVD/BluRay editions?

Dammit. I was interviewed for the film and I heard from a friend that we didn't make the final cut, but I had hoped that we'd make it onto the extras part, as I imagined that they had far more footage than can be shown in a two hour film.

From the product listings it seems "extras" = "the concert" DVD.

Anyone able to shed any light on any additional content on the disks?

The Film hasn't been released yet, so unless somebody here has sources in IM management, no one can tell you. But I belive that what you see is what you get. The details regarding future releases of the band were usually straight-forward and didn't hide anything for a surprise.

Yeah, the last couple of DVD's didn't have any easter eggs on them. RiR, VotB and Early Days had a few, the other ones (which are the most recent) didn't have any. So I guess it's unlikely.

Perun said:
Where are the good old days where you just filmed something and put it out on a video tape or a silver disc... I needed years to get used to DVDs, I'm not going to buy into this Blu(E for heaven's sake, write it correctly!)ray or HD crap.

Technology moves on, welcome to the nightmare which is computers.

I gave up long ago on attempting to keep up to date with anything electronic, if I see new technology cheap I'll pick it up but trying to keep up year after year is rediculously expensive.
But, as for Blu-ray, this will probably be my first Blu-ray purchase as I'm lucky enough to have a PS3 around to play it on. But as with DVDs, I doubt I'll be making a huge collection.

At the very least they are still offering it as a DVD as well....so its not the end of the world. But I think there is a fair point about technology developing faster than its market can keep up with.

Back