Final Frontier: one year later

Man Who Would Be King would be much better with better lyrics.  I especially love the intro, outro and the crazy mid section.  But the verses are sorta plain and the lyrics really don't help it any.

Donner said:
Man Who Would Be King would be much better with better lyrics.  I especially love the intro, outro and the crazy mid section.  But the verses are sorta plain and the lyrics really don't help it any.

Agree with everyone on this one. I gave it another listen on a 7 hour car ride to western Azerbaijan this weekend, and the music is brilliant. But the lyrics and vocals are horrific. This is one song that I think would be better as an instrumental. Anyone else agree?

when i bought the album i realized that was the 2nd iron maiden album that i didnt like,the other was dance of death.After a year and after attending to a very good concert i can say that at least there are 4 or 5 very good tunes,and a instant classic ( the talisman).decent album at least and i am happy.

I hope we don't have to wait 4 years between releases like we did with AMOLAD and TFF. 

That would mean the next Maiden album comes out 3 years from now...  :S

Wow I am in the minority here with the almighty Dance of Death!!  It definitely, undisputedly,  goes DOD, AMOLAD, Then TFF and BNW.

This may be a quite outlandish statement but in my mind TFF maybe maidens best album. It needs to be known this is coming from someone who not to long ago refused to even except anything after FOTD as ok. Do I think they dragged out just about every intro other then the Alchemist and maybe a few others, of course! But other then the Alchemist not being all that great to me maybe a 7/10 I cant find a song I skip on the album. The only other album that can do that for me is SSOASS and still Im inclined to skip Infinite Dreams or the Prophecy and allot of the time CIPWM. Every album seems to have an Achilles heel and I just cant find TFF's.

bornless1 said:
   Wow I am in the minority here with the almighty Dance of Death!!  It definitely, undisputedly,  goes DOD, AMOLAD, Then TFF and BNW.

Welcome to the DoD Bunker, brother - would you like one (but no more)? I agree entirely that in terms of ALBUMS, DoD is the best. I think I agree with your assessment, although I might have TFF and AMOLAD tied for number two and BNW wayyyyy back at third.

What I love about TFF is the same thing I love about DoD - consistency. I think both albums show marvelous consistency. I know, I know, moved to the blasphemy thread...

Yah chartwell I know this is a ff thread, but Dance of Death always seems to get the 'worst of the reunion' tag.  I don't get this.  The title track is instant classic.  Montsegur rocks harder than any other reunion song.  Face in the sand, no more lies and rainmaker are awesome and individually get respect here.  But for some reason no one seems to like these other songs very much. New frontier, gates of tomorrow and especially wildest dreams are totally underrated!!   I love all these songs.   Age of innocence gets no love and is one I always look forward to.  Journeyman is so different.  It is inventive and moving.  Then there is Paschen effin Dale!!  Just about everyone's fave.  It seems a no brainer that this is the best reunion album.  

I'll jump in here. Dance of Death is their transition album, probably more so than any other album. They were trying new things and some of them worked, and some of them didn't. There is some great material on there, Paschendale, the title track, Rainmaker, But there is also some bad material, Gates of Tomorrow springs to mind. Experimentation is found throughout the album, Journeyman is probably the prime example. Up until that point their album closers were pretty standard. Journeyman was completely left field, not only was it a different closer, but it was also their only all acoustic track.

Wildest Dreams is one of the weaker songs, however it set the stone for how Maiden would write their openers. It's been that way ever since, and I doubt it will change. You could make the argument with S15 but since The Final Frontier is part of that, it still counts.

Rainmaker is the last short Murray track, and it is one of the better songs. Nothing new here, it further proves my point of this album being a transition though. Maiden was trying new things with other songs, while maintaining a formula they had been using before on this track.

No More Lies is a bit weak to me, it wouldn't be too out of place with Brave New World.

Montsegur is another track that is true to Maiden's old formula.

Dance of Death is part of this transition. It is the first song by Janick where the acoustic guitar plays a major role. Dream of Mirrors isn't that song to me, because that acoustic is only for the verses. The standard set by this song, would go on to be used in The Legacy and Talisman on following albums.

Gates of Tomorrow is pretty much filler. That's it.

New Frontier is something new since it features lyrics from Nicko.

Paschendale is the song that pretty much made Adrian Smith the guy to write the music. He had done it before, but as he said himself, he never really did an epic before. And of course now we have songs like The Longest Day, Isle of Avalon, Lord of Light, and Starblind on subsequent albums.

I really need sleep I can't finish this post right now. I'll finish in the morning.

Gates of tomorrow is one of the most underrated songs ever. It has a quirky kind of evil feeling to it that absolutely nails the medieval theme of the album.  It is not filler. It sure is not weak..  No more lies is weak?  Wildest Dreams is weak?  Yah right! There is nothing weak on The Almighty Dance of Death!! Dance of Death is creeping up the Maidens greatest albums list and is up to #3, slightly behind Powerslave and Piece.

bornless1 said:
Gates of tomorrow is one of the most underrated songs ever. It has a quirky kind of evil feeling to it that absolutely nails the medieval theme of the album.  It is not filler. It sure is not weak..  No more lies is weak?   Wildest Dreams is weak?  Yah right! There is nothing weak on The Almighty Dance of Death!! Dance of Death is creeping up the Maidens greatest albums list and is up to #3, slightly behind Powerslave and Piece.

Hail to bornless1 for speaking truth! AMEN brother!! I agree! Have a praise!

OK I forgot to finish this post. No More Lies is way too repetitive, Wildest Dreams is just way too generic, and Gates of Tomorrow is with Maiden's worst.

The rest of the album:

Face In The Sand-Is one of the better tracks on the album

Age of Innocence-Is OK, I don't go out of my way to listen to it, but I don't despise it like some people do. But it did lead to Ben Breeg, and Man Who Would Be King on the recent albums.

Journeyman-One of the best songs on the album. It's something new, it's a great song, and it was spectacular live.

See, Dance of Death is nothing more than a transitional phase for maiden. Besides that, it really isn't a special album at all. Definitely the worst of the reunion era.

While I agree that Dance of Death is the least good album of the Reunion, I don't know if I'd say there is nothing special.

Paschendale alone is incredible, and keeps that album floating high.

I mean as an album. Paschendale is amazing, to say the least. But that is the only truly great song on the album, except maybe Journeyman.

I also count Rainmaker as great, but I also agree DOD is one of Maiden's worst.

Apart from Wildest Dreams which is too generic indeed - still quite enjoyable - the other songs range from pretty good to awesome.Probably the less great reunion album but still it's part of the top-15 albums ever.  :D

anyway back to tff. on a long drive from manchester to devon at night had the album playing. satellite 15 on a long open motorway with only headlights made the atmospheric sound so appreciable then into the final frontier moving into traffic and el dorado surprisingly lends its pace to froghopping past lorries. then coming home became really special as it was around the time dawn began to creep and we were curving on the edge of daylight. the following atmospheric high epics perfectly flowed with the road and starblind ofcourse had to start as the sun poked over the horizon. the talisman didnt really fit the situation but its still brilliant.

so yhep ive found the purpose of the album now  :lol:

highlights... el dorado on a curvy A-road between trucks and satellite 15 on the dark lonely motorway (somewhere on the M5)

Back