Favourite (non-Maiden) albums by bandmembers

I think we can include Black Sabbath's first album as one of Bruce's favourite. He mentioned it several times on interviews.

In the 80's there was a very popular magazine here in Brazil called Revista Metal and on number 20 they had a list of the 10 favourite albums of Steve and Adrian. The pic is not good, but here it is:

revista-metal-20-1985.jpg
Are we all just gonna ignore that Blackie Lawless’s favorite album of all time is Judas Priest’s Creaming for Vengeance?

I know that Bruce loves the first Dream Theater album, he was really blown away when he first heard it and wanted Maiden's album to sound like it. I also seem to remember that although Bruce doesn't like Tate's voice, he thinks that Operation Mindcrime is an incredible album

Last edited:
When Dream and Day Unite but as a matter of fact he loves both. Bruce took the album and some demos of what eventually was Images and Words to Nicko when they were getting ready to go and record Fear Of The Dark and said to him, "Have you listened to this band?" this is how we should sound in our next album...
Weekend Warrior is in many ways Maiden's own Pull Me Under.

Tommy Vance: Listen we shall return to this later but we should play some music cos, well you did what Phil said, you like a bit of a chat don't you? You picked Soundgarden for us. What do you like about Soundgarden?

Bruce: Well... apart from Soundgarden, um, Chris Cornell, the finest darn voice this side of.. I don't know what I mean great voice. I was torn as to whether to pick something of his solo record but I picked this because it's a bit heavier but I like his solo record anyway y'know.

Tommy Vance: But um yeah, this is.. which one did you pick?

Bruce: Rusty Cage...

Friday Rock Show - October 2000

Bruce: Well... apart from Soundgarden, um, Chris Cornell, the finest darn voice this side of.. I don't know what I mean great voice. I was torn as to whether to pick something of his solo record but I picked this because it's a bit heavier but I like his solo record anyway y'know.
I can't remember which interview or when, but it was Bruce praising Euphoria Morning that led me to discover the album which is now an all-time favorite of mine.

For Bruce: Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel 3 (1980)

For Steve: Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (1974)

Info: here

One of Janick's favorite Deep Purple albums is Fireball (1971) - he mentioned it in a recent interview, iirc. Or it was only the title track, but I'm almost sure it was the album.

One of Janick's favorite Deep Purple albums is Fireball (1971) - he mentioned it in a recent interview, iirc. Or it was only the title track, but I'm almost sure it was the album.
That was in fan club mag #110 (though maybe not the only place) - and it was the whole album.

I’ve read somewhere that Steve really likes some of the early Queen albums. I can imagine he meant Queen’s debut album and Queen II

Speaking of Queen...

I know that one of Bruce's favourite vocal performances of all time is Who Wants To Live Forever by Queen. He stated it in an interview as one of the most emotionaly charged performances ever recoreded.

"I love 'Who Wants To Live Forever' simply because of the beautiful vocal melody, the way it continues to lift and lift as the song progresses. The first time I heard this song, it made me cry."

I’m a big fan of Queen’s music and regard all their 7 studio albums in the 70’s as masterpieces (With Queen II being my absolute favourite). I like a lot of their 80’s output, but less. 1986’s Who Wants To Live Forever is an exception though. To me it’s almost as brilliant as most of their 70’s songs.

Back