Favourite (non-Maiden) albums by bandmembers

Van HalenII for Steve and Adrian?
That's a surprise.

I've got a flexi disc that came free with Metal Hammer in 92 which contains and interview with Steve (and Bruce). He says they were trying to get Van Halen on the bill for Donington 92.

You can add a couple of Van der Graaf Generator's albums to Bruce's list:

Pawn Hearts
H to He Who Am the Only One

You can hear some of that on Empire of the Clouds.

Steve really likes Beckett's only album (no shit Sherlock! :lol:) and Nektar's A Tab in the Ocean.

Both Steve and Bruce are big fans of that masterpiece that is Argus by Wishbone Ash.

Didn't he once state - during some interview - that he really liked Soul Cages by Sting and also Soundgarden?

He also likes Benito Lertxundi, but neither of his albums nor those you have highlighted tend to be mentioned by him when talking about his favourite albums of all time. ;)

Both Steve and Bruce are big fans of that masterpiece that is Argus by Wishbone Ash.
Surprised it took so long for this to be mentioned. Steve said that if anyone wanted to understand the twin guitars in the early Maiden albums all they needed to do was listen to Argus. So I did and guess what? Steve was right!

Surprised it took so long for this to be mentioned. Steve said that if anyone wanted to understand the twin guitars in the early Maiden albums all they needed to do was listen to Argus. So I did and guess what? Steve was right!

Argus is definitely one of my desert island discs. An absolute masterpiece.

Argus is definitely one of my desert island discs. An absolute masterpiece.
Agreed. I actually ended up seeing Wishbone Ash live last month, when they came to Southampton. I was aware of a great sense of gratitude - to them because they inspired Maiden, and also to Steve because if he hadn't named them as a primary influence I would never have heard of them. And I would have missed out on one hell of a great band!

Agreed. I actually ended up seeing Wishbone Ash live last month, when they came to Southampton. I was aware of a great sense of gratitude - to them because they inspired Maiden, and also to Steve because if he hadn't named them as a primary influence I would never have heard of them. And I would have missed out on one hell of a great band!

Do not miss Martin Turner (bass player/singer of classic Wishbone Ash) if he plays in your neck of the woods. Probably more classic Wishbone Ash nowadays than Andy Powell's band.

Didn't Steve mention in Metal Hammer or Classic Rock recently that he's a big Nightwish fan?
As for Nightwish, he is litteraly mad with Dark Passion Play (the whole stuff, not just one song).

Not only Dark Passion Play but Imaginaerum too. Here's the quote:

When I heard [2007’s] Dark Passion Play, I couldn’t believe it. I thought, ‘Now, this is a proper fucking album.’ It’s got everything bar the kitchen sink in there. It was controversial because of the new singer [Anette Olzon], but she was brilliant. No disrespect to Tarja, but Anette’s voice suited them a lot better. There’s heavy stuff, classical, even a bit of Disney – all kinds of shit in there. I think it’s one of the best-sounding albums I’ve ever heard in my life. “Then I got the next one, [2011’s] Imaginaerum. ''Storytime'' is a fantastic, instant song. The rest of the album took me a while to get into. Dark Passion Play was so good, I thought there was no way they could ever come up with an album that’s anywhere near that, but the more I got into Imaginaerum, the more I loved it. “I haven’t heard the new one with Floor Jansen yet, but those two albums for me – I don’t think there’s anything else that I’ve heard out there that’s even close.”

The most embarrassing album Bruce owned as of 1997 was Bedside Manners Are Extra by Green Slade.

The most embarrassing album Adrian owned at that time was an unnamed Perry Como Christmas record.

I think we can include Black Sabbath's first album as one of Bruce's favourite. He mentioned it several times on interviews.

In the 80's there was a very popular magazine here in Brazil called Revista Metal and on number 20 they had a list of the 10 favourite albums of Steve and Adrian. The pic is not good, but here it is:

revista-metal-20-1985.jpg
@Kalata after all these decades we see the Free, Humble Pie, The Who and Thin Lizzy albums popping up again!

Back