Favorite Non-IM Live Albums

el diablo

Educated Fool
As much as I enjoy Live After Death and Beast Over Hammersmith I wonder what live albums from other bands IM fans are into. I'm actually not really much of a metal guy, more of a classic / prog / hard rock fan. Here are some of my favorites:
  • Rush - Exit Stage Left. This is my favorite album by anyone ever. I literally consider this the peak of all music.
  • Yes - Yessongs & Keys to Ascension - Soaring, majestic brilliance with the technical chops to hypnotize.
  • Led Zeppelin - Song Remains the Same. The best hard rock band ever at the height of their powers.
  • U2 - Live at Red Rocks - Urgent, passionate and hard-edged in the early years.
  • AC/DC - Let There Be Rock. Oh, we miss you Bon Scott. If Whole Lotta Rosie doesn't quicken your pulse then you're already dead.
  • The Who - Live at Leeds. Great hard rock, especially Young Man Blues and A Quick One (While He's Away).
  • The Ramones - Live Alive. A fast paced slam-dancing cardio workout of punk exuberance.
  • Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Yas Out. Psychedelia-drenched blues orgy.
  • Scorpions - World Wide Live. This is just personal. As a teenager this was heavily in my rotation and I still go back periodically.

Forum moderators - If I put this in the wrong place please feel free to move it wherever you think is most appropriate.

• Rush - Exit Stage Left. This is my favorite album by anyone ever. I literally consider this the peak of all music
:notworthy: Wise words!

Late 90´s...I listened to All The Worlds A Stage, then bought 2112 and Counterparts. I liked Rush but it was after buying Exit...Stage Left I got hooked. And especially La Villa Strangiato! :wub: From E...SL until Hold Your Fire is pure perfection.

:notworthy: Wise words!

Late 90´s...I listened to All The Worlds A Stage, then bought 2112 and Counterparts. I liked Rush but it was after buying Exit...Stage Left I got hooked. And especially La Villa Strangiato! :wub: From E...SL until Hold Your Fire is pure perfection.
As they described it themselves, Strangiato is 'An exercise in self indulgence'. They really pushed the boundries of possibility there.
For me the the Broon's Bane/ Trees / Xanadu melody is just mind boggling especially to see the live videos. People actually did that.

I think I got some favorites..but the first one that came to my mind is:

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York
My absoute favorite unplugged ever...just pure bliss.

Is Unplugged ok here to list? I might list couple more laters..there's some really great live albums out there.

I think I got some favorites..but the first one that came to my mind is:

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York
My absoute favorite unplugged ever...just pure bliss.

Is Unplugged ok here to list? I might list couple more laters..there's some really great live albums out there.
If it's live, it's in. All good my friend.

The Beatles Live At The Hollywood Bowl is one that I love. It got even pieced together from two different shows, on was played in 1964, the other was one year later - but it goes brilliantly together as a whole.

LAD is the most iconic live album of all the time to me.
And next year for me a dream will come true: I'll be in Los Angeles for a two week vacation and will go to see Long Beach Arena with my own eyes & touch the walls of this building with my hand. :notworthy: Definitely a spiritual place. :yes: And I definitely need a picture of me myself at the place outside with the Queen Mary in the background. I hope to find the right angle.

Last edited:
One more great album coming to my mind: Testament Live In London.
Btw: Do you allow bootlegs as well to answer on this thread, or official live albums only? If bootlegs: Metallica live in Berlin 2019 is great.

King Crimson - Absent Lovers. This was the band's last live performance for nearly a decade. They play all of their best material from their three 1980's studio albums (the songs are played with so much energy that it makes the studio albums feel flat and lifeless in comparison), plus two more instrumental pieces from the 1970's.

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous. There's debate about how "live" this album actually is, but it features an energetic performance of some of the band's best material.

Nirvana - Unplugged. Someone already mentioned this one. It's a brilliant album and showcases the band's depth, emphasizes their songwriting skills, and tips their hat to their predecessors. The song choices are bold. A haunting performance.

Last edited:
A few that come to mind off the top of my head:

Scorpions - World Wide Live
Gamma Ray - Skeletons In The Closet
Alice In Chains - Unplugged
Bruce Dickinson - Skunkworks Live EP

LAD is the most iconic live album of all the time to me.
And next year for me a dream will come true: I'll be in Los Angeles for a two week vacation and will go to see Long Beach Arena with my own eyes & touch the walls of this building with my hand. :notworthy: Definitely a spiritual place. :yes: And I definitely need a picture of me myself at the place outside with the Queen Mary in the background. I hope to find the right angle.
That’s great man - have the time of your dreams.

The following are go-to albums from these bands as much as, if not more so, than any of their studio albums

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous, the best of all time, bar none.

AC/DC - If Want Blood...You've Got it!

Cheap Trick - At Budokan

Slayer - Live Undead

Kiss - Alive!

EDIT: Motorhead - No Sleep 'til Hammersmith, probably should be in there too

Last edited:
Queen- Live at Wembley '86
Queen- Live Killers

...and don't forget the show- stealing performance on Live Aid '85. Nobody has ever been as big and impressive as Freddie Mercury on stage.

Judas Priest - Priest...Live! (1987)
Rob sounds amazing here.

Grave Digger - Tunes Of Wacken - Live (2002)
this is the ultimate live album for the classics of the band.

Kiss - Alive! (1975)
they energy of the band live captured here is enormous.

HammerFall - One Crimson Night (2003)
one of the best live albums ever!

Accept - Staying A Life (1990)
some of the performances are better than the studio versions.

Back