Favorite Maiden Live Album (2010 Edition, voting closed)

What is your favorite Maiden live album?

• Live After Death

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • A Real Live/Dead One

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Live At Donington

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rock In Rio

Votes: 51 32.5%
  • Beast Over Hammersmith

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • BBC Archives

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Death On The Road

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Flight 666

Votes: 26 16.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Black_Thunder said:
Like Jeff said, CD is not official.
  how is it not official? It came with the video did it not?

Came in a double package with the VHS of the same name, which was originally released in 1989.

VHS = Video Home System.

Are you convinced now, Mosh?

Live after death. The first time i heard maiden was the LAD version of aces high on the radio so it holds a special place in my heart.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
I feel my vote should go to Flight 666 because I was at the Revelations show and so its a special disc, the setlist is great, Bruce is in peak form and I love Adrian's backing vocals on Wasted Years.  

I could also easily vote for RiR for the amazing setlist including two Blaze tracks and great mix.

But my vote goes to Live After Death for sentimental reasons.   A friend gave me a taped copy of this and NOTB back in 86 as an introduction to Maiden and the metalworld in general. After about 3 spins of LAD I could feel Maiden enter my bloodstream where is still resides. LAD  has left the most lasting impact of all live albums. Kinda like what Baron Ronan mentioned about RiR, to this day it still feels weird when Bruce yells "Scream for me (insert any city other than Long Beach)". It feels like he should say "scream for me long beach" at every gig. Ridiculous? Yes.

It also contains Bruce's famous ROTAM intro speech and the hearing doctor joke during Running Free...and a slightly different voice doing the intro to NOTB (I think).  

Honourable mention to Beast Over Hammersmith for Bruce's scream during Killers at  4:39.

"We will never surrender!"

Great post.

Funny I'm just listening to Flight 666 and noticed Adrians back up vocals on Wasted Years and Can I Play With Madness. Man his voice really suits the songs and great he is so audible. And I'm sure Steve doesn't mind not being heard  :lol: Also props to Maiden for playing so well, they can still play these old songs so extremely well, some of them sound better than ever!

When it comes to voting for a best live album my picking is extremely flawed by sentimental reasons too. First album I bought was A Real Live One, so no matter how bad that album may be compared to the others it will always be special for me. Live at Donington 1992 was the live album I re-enacted as "Bruce" in my bedroom, so that also holds a special place  :p And I remember borrowing Live After Death and leafing back and forth in the booklet while Powerslave came out the speakers...Shame that they did not include the full speech about Queen Victoria and her period pains as seen in the VHS on the CD/Vinyl.

So yeah, as for performance wise, Rock in Rio may actually be the best. But I'm gonna pick Live After Death, simply because its legendary and its the tour of my favourite album, so I'm also biased there :)

Life After Death and Rock In Rio are both awesome... I´ll go for LAD.

labels=1

labels=1

I voted for Rock in Rio - great atmosphere and modern production values make it nice to listen to.

If they released Maiden England officially, that would be nice  :rocker:

Live After Death.  Just look at the setlist!!  It was a great show that was my first concert with Queensryche opening.

Jonszat said:
Rock in Rio. The set list is the best on any live album (SotC, Clansman, 5 of the 6 BNW songs aren't on any other live disc), the crowd are fantastic. Bruce's best vocal performance on a Maiden live album, imo. Dave's solo on SotC is perfect as in Jan's on Blood Brothers. Hallowed is great as always. Just a great album.
This pretty much sums up why I voted for Rock In Rio

It appears I haven't said what I voted for. I vote for Rock In Rio because it has Sign Of The Cross. Not to mention all the other great stuff about it.

Mine has to be RIR - the setting, the songs, all 3 guitarists live, what it meant to have Maiden back (hate to admit it but until Bruce/Adrian returned they were on bit of a downward spiral) and Blood Brothers live - man what a song and what a performance from Bruce!  :yey: :yey:

Beast Over Hammersmith, it shows the stripped-down rawness of the band just as they were beginning their majical journey.

I thnik Flight 666 is the best one...
the band is skilled like never before and the audiences are pretty awesome on this one
the sound-quality is perfect, either

Night Prowler said:
I think that Maiden Japan (remastered release has 17 songs) and Maiden England (also released on CD: http://metal-archives.com/release.php?id=11174) should be included.
the ridiculously overpriced 17 track so called "fan club" release of maiden japan is a glorified bootleg (i own it, it is good sounding but a bootleg nonetheless)  i dont understand what exactly makes maiden england non official eg the vhs was released in 1989 and rereleased as a video CD limited edition package in 1994

i voted beast over hammersmith, though i love rio, lad, flight666, and death on the road ( i hate the real live/dead one due to the lackluster quality of production and performance), beast is my fave because of the awesome performance and song selection  :rocker:

Back