Favorite Maiden Live Album (2010 Edition, voting closed)

What is your favorite Maiden live album?

• Live After Death

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • A Real Live/Dead One

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Live At Donington

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rock In Rio

Votes: 51 32.5%
  • Beast Over Hammersmith

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • BBC Archives

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Death On The Road

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Flight 666

Votes: 26 16.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SinisterMinisterX said:
Edit: sorry, I changed the avatar. It used to be LAD Eddie.

First change in aeons, or even first change ever? :)

I'll support you with Live After Death. The first Maiden album I bought. Only 4 votes out of 20-something, that needs to be changed!

Oh, it simply has to be Rock in Rio. As well as the setlist being excellent, particularly the Bruce renditions of Blaze era material, the crowd is astounding. I've listened to that album so many times that I find myself screaming out the things Bruce says in it during modern performances. The songs just don't sound right live otherwise.

Rock in Rio is flawed though: Bruce's pants...

I voted for Beast Over Hammersmith.

Live After Death - production is great, but Bruce isn't in top-shape.
A Real Live/Dead One - Bruce sounds mostly uninspired and every song from this 2 albums has a better live version.
Live At Donington - great setlist, concert & performance, but bad production & picture quality.
Rock In Rio - 2nd best, everything is perfect.
Beast Over Hammersmith - most of TNOTB songs sound better on this album than in studio, Hallowed Be Thy Name particularly.
BBC Archives - I listened this album only once, and I remember that Bruce sounds really, really awful on 1988 performances.
Death On The Road - setlist is OK, but I think that better solution would've been if they mixed up DOD songs + Lord Of The Flies with some of the songs played on The Early Days tour, like Remember Tomorrow or Prowler...
Flight 666 - songs that also appeared on LAD sound better on LAD. I'd prefer to watch the DVD of this than to listen to the CD.

I think that Maiden Japan (remastered release has 17 songs) and Maiden England (also released on CD: http://metal-archives.com/release.php?id=11174) should be included.

I feel my vote should go to Flight 666 because I was at the Revelations show and so its a special disc, the setlist is great, Bruce is in peak form and I love Adrian's backing vocals on Wasted Years. 

I could also easily vote for RiR for the amazing setlist including two Blaze tracks and great mix.

But my vote goes to Live After Death for sentimental reasons.  A friend gave me a taped copy of this and NOTB back in 86 as an introduction to Maiden and the metalworld in general. After about 3 spins of LAD I could feel Maiden enter my bloodstream where is still resides. LAD  has left the most lasting impact of all live albums. Kinda like what Baron Ronan mentioned about RiR, to this day it still feels weird when Bruce yells "Scream for me (insert any city other than Long Beach)". It feels like he should say "scream for me long beach" at every gig. Ridiculous? Yes.

It also contains Bruce's famous ROTAM intro speech and the hearing doctor joke during Running Free...and a slightly different voice doing the intro to NOTB (I think). 

Honourable mention to Beast Over Hammersmith for Bruce's scream during Killers at  4:39.

"We will never surrender!"

Flight 666 - I saw Maiden live for the first time during SBIT and overall it's a great album, crowd makes noise etc. RiR and LAD come close second.

Flight666, it captured the mood and excitement that is Iron Maiden at the moment. That band everyone had written off in the mid-90s is the biggest band in the world and still making hit records.

I only own Live After Death and Flight 666, so my opinion isn't perhaps the most valid. I personally prefer Flight 666, there are some very good live versions on there (especially love Powerslave and Moonchild) and like the poster above says, it really captures the excitement and the whole scale of the World Tour. Definately one of the best supported if not the best supported band in the world, even if they are only very slowly winning mainstream plaudits. But hey, we've never needed mainstream approval, deep down everybody knows Maiden are the best  :innocent:

I must try and find myself Rock In Rio, I keep hearing very good things about it and I have seen some videos on youtube which have an amazing atmosphere and an extraordinary crowd there.

Live After Death. Along with UFO's Strangers in the Night, it would be a toss up for best live album ever...

Just like last time, my vote went to LAD again. I watched the DVDs of this, Rock in Rio and the concert DVD of Flight 666 on Saturday night and for me there is no contest, yeah some of the songs on the other two are great with the three guitarists but nothing, in my opinion can compete with the way H and Davey play on LAD, and as an older fan this was the live album I grew up with until the Real Live/ Dead albums so it holds sentimental values too.

Rock in Rio.  The crowd just sends it over the top.  Fear of the Dark on RIR still gives me goosebumps.

My second fav would be Maiden England, which isn't here for some reason?

PyroMessiah said:
Rock in Rio.  The crowd just sends it over the top.  Fear of the Dark on RIR still gives me goosebumps.

My second fav would be Maiden England, which isn't here for some reason?

It's a video. Not live album (See first post).

But there is a CD out there so shouldn't it count as an album?

Back