Favorite Maiden Guitarist (2010 Edition, voting closed)

Who is your favorite Iron Maiden guitarist?

• Dave Murray

Votes: 47 32.2%
  • Adrian Smith

Votes: 82 56.2%
  • Janick Gers

Votes: 17 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Perun said:
...I would propbably have named Dave my definite favourite before the release of The Final Frontier...

Interesting. I recall that in the 2005 poll, I voted for Dave. That was based on Dave impressing the Baby Jesus out of me at a 2003 show. This time I voted for H... are there any other members here who recall if they changed their vote this year?

SinisterMinisterX said:
Interesting. I recall that in the 2005 poll, I voted for Dave. That was based on Dave impressing the Baby Jesus out of me at a 2003 show. This time I voted for H... are there any other members here who recall if they changed their vote this year?

No, I voted for Dave previous time.

This time, I wanted to vote for Dennis Stratton.

SinisterMinisterX said:

Yes, last week I decided to do exactly the same.

I don't see what's confusing about it. Out of the three, H is the better song-writer and guitar player. Oh and singer too.

Davey.
Because of the incredibly sweet sound, because of the legatos (ATG second solo stole my heart, as well as the bluesy miracle in Coming Home) and because of the permanent smile and wonderfull mood.

Although I think he should stick to Stratocasters, (reference to LP on new tour).

Perun said:
Janick is a master at songwriting, and I think that in the last ten years, he has really evolved to a masterfully skilled guitarist, too. I'm not overly fond of some of his 90's guitar work, but nowadays, I would say he is world-class. And I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think that he is also a supreme live guitarist. He is responsible for two of the three moments when I was actually 'blindsided' by a guitar solo during a gig - Powerslave in 2008, and something during the last tour (maybe Blood Brothers, but I'm not totally sure anymore). The only other moment when I had similar feelings was when H kicked off his Rime of the Ancient Mariner solo in 2008.

I don't think I've had a bigger smile on my face during any concert than just in that moment. It was that great.

Eddies Wingman said:
I don't think I've had a bigger smile on my face during any concert than just in that moment. It was that great.

That moment actually was one of the moments that brought tears to my eyes, on March 2nd 2008, at the São Paulo gig. Unforgettable. :edmetal:

Oh, this one is really hard, really love Adrian, he is the best writter between them, but Dave is Dave u know...

Dave is in the band since he got in and he created the best solos Iron ever made, maiden's top songs have Murray's touch. He has God's hand, he has the feeling, that i never seen anyone play like him. Really love to watch he shreding around on stage.

H is fucking awesome too, knows to write great songs, and kinda have an old style of playing that we don't find anymore on guitar players.

Both are great, for me they are the Best players in the world, but i gotta say Murray.(almost makes me cum when hear those solos)

I voted back in October 2010, but didn't write an explanation. So, here it goes.

Adrian is the best of all, because :

1. He is the best songwriter. Dave's melodic and Janick's dynamic songwriting styles are also great, but you can't get enough of Adrian's songs. They're dynamic, melodic, energetic and atmospheric at the same time and H has a modern sound which just himself can achieve.

2. He is my favorite soloist. Dave's solos are also perfect, Jan's solos sometimes work (mostly but not always) but Adrian's solos are simply special. He just makes the guitar cry with joy, he doesn't really improvise his solos, he writes them note by note (or it just feels like he does) and that's what I like about solos. His solos are damn dynamic and often it feels like Dave is getting us excited first and Adrian finishes the deal. Four of my five favorite Maiden solos are Adrian's (Stranger in a Strange Land, Caught Somewhere in Time, Alexander the Great, Rime of the Ancient Mariner). Other one is Powerslave by Dave.

I see Adrian and Dave as a team however if I had to pick one of them, it would be Adrian.

For me voting on things like this is completely pointless because the entire band is so seemingly egoless that to pit one against another seems completely unfair. Adrian does write some kick-ass tunes though. :bigsmile:

It's an easy vote. Obviously God is the superior one.  B)

I think that Adrian Smith is the best writer, his songs and arrangements are the main creative force of Maiden actually. I would say that most of his 'recent' songs (Paschendale, Starblind, etc) are the best material the band has released in the last decade. Murray's playing is more from the heart, his tone is unique... and Janick is a mad man :s

H

...And he was the only one to ignore me during the 'Somewhere On Tour' show. (Even Nicko acknowledged me!!! - I was 3rd row center section)  :bigsmile:
Funny thing is, H was my most favorite member at that time too.

H is so clean and perfect, it's hard to ignore him. And his writing is awesome as well.

Dave is extremely good. No doubt. Just awesome, really. And his songs in 21st Century Maiden are all awesome.
Janick is very good too. I love him on the 'Tatooed Millionaire' album. And my eyes were on him for a major portion of the 'Matter Of Life' show. And he made me very proud at the Eggfest show. [Edit: I wanted to add that I love Janick's writing on the 'BNW', 'DOD', and 'AMOLAD' albums. His songs are unique and special.]

Sorry, but Dennis is way awesome. He plays some of the most fantastic parts on some of my most favorite songs, so, please do not disrespect him  :mad:  (I know you were playing tho)  :D

NavigatorsSon said:
H

...And he was the only one to ignore me during the 'Somewhere On Tour' show. (Even Nicko acknowledged me!!! - I was 3rd row center section)  :bigsmile:
Funny thing is, H was my most favorite member at that time too.

H is so clean and perfect, it's hard to ignore him. And his writing is awesome as well.

Dave is extremely good. No doubt. Just awesome, really. And his songs in 21st Century Maiden are all awesome.
Janick is very good too. I love him on the 'Tatooed Millionaire' album. And my eyes were on him for a major portion of the 'Matter Of Life' show. And he made me very proud at the Eggfest show. [Edit: I wanted to add that I love Janick's writing on the 'BNW', 'DOD', and 'AMOLAD' albums. His songs are unique and special.]

Sorry, but Dennis is way awesome. He plays some of the most fantastic parts on some of my most favorite songs, so, please do not disrespect him  :mad:  (I know you were playing tho)  :D

Nice post.

And I agree, not only about "H", (Davey and Jan too -- they are all super gifted and talented), but about Mr. Stratton playing on some of the most awesome songs in their catalog. 'Prowler', 'Remember Tomorrow', 'Transylvania', 'Phantom Of The Opera', 'Strange World', ('Strange World' might be my all-time fav) and even 'Running Free'. Awesome stuff, still holding solid 31 years later.

Janick for me!

I admire the mans Passion and Energy, Right in fornt of him at the Manchester gig this year and you could see the Passion in his eyes during Blood Brothers!

My favorite solo of his has gotta be Brighter than a Thousand Sun. :shred:

Back