Favorite Maiden Guitarist (2010 Edition, voting closed)

Who is your favorite Iron Maiden guitarist?

• Dave Murray

Votes: 47 32.2%
  • Adrian Smith

Votes: 82 56.2%
  • Janick Gers

Votes: 17 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Janick is a great songwriter, but his solos aren't usually something I care for. There are some exceptions -- such as Brave New World and Blood Brothers -- which are incredible. Then you've got solos like Pilgrim, Ghost of the Navigator, and Talisman, which aren't necessarily works of art but fit their respective songs very well. But the majority are just patented Gers slopfests that make me shake my head and say "Well, they could've left that part out of the song..." One of my favorite aspects of AMOLAD is that Janick's solos are kept to a minimum.

Strangely, though, Brave New World is my favorite album overall -- an album which contains no more than four Adrian solos. Does anyone else find it strange that Janick co-wrote Mercenary but didn't solo on it?

It could be that they wanted a more even count of solos between the three, or that the particular passage suited Adrian much better.

The song that later became The Mercenary was written and demoed by Gers old band White Spirit back in 1981 as a song called Till The Kill.

Have no idea, sorry. Can't find it on youtube, and don't know where it came from. I didn't find it personally and it is a long time since I heard it.

Thanks for the link! It's definitely a similar riff, almost identical.

I wonder if Janick intentionally used it because the song never took off with White Spirit, or if he subconsciously wrote the same riff almost twenty years later and thought, "Wow, that's good!", without even remembering where it originally came from. Either that, or he went back through all his old band material searching for the best riffs so that he wouldn't look like a slouch with the return of H!

I like them all. Obviously they are all in a class by themselves but Janik is a top notch guitarist and showman!!

A bit hard to answer but after much thought, I voted Adrian. BUTTTTTT wait for it !! All three are brilliant Guitarists (they wouldn't be in Maiden if they weren't) I just feel Adrian has the edge even if the margin is a very small one.

I love all of the guitarists but Adrian wins it for me, He is my main inspiration for playing guitar and i also love all of his side projects. Adrian Smith Is God in my eyes!!

Back