Fat people

I agree that Glenn Davis is a little to thick for a basketball player but remember TV makes you look 15 lbs heavier.  As for running.....Forrest was a running fool. LOL 

cornfedhick said:
Explain this:  I was watching the NBA Finals last night and noticed that Glenn "Big Baby" Davis exercises as much as anyone (he's a forward for the Boston Celtics), he just played significant minutes in roughly 100 NBA games this season ... and he's STILL fat!  Genetics clearly has something to do with it. 

Nevertheless, it's amazing how many people who complain about their own weight never run.  They might go to the gym to do yoga or lift weights or something (which may very well be good exercise), but I've found that nothing gets you into shape quite like running.  Example: when I played organized sports in high school, did the coach get us into condition by having us do pilates or yoga?  No.  He made us run until we puked.  Every damn day.  And it worked, just like it has worked on sports teams across the world for the last 100 years. 

Maybe you prefer to run by playing basketball or football or some other sport because you believe, like me, that running just for the sake of running is boring.  Or, maybe you just enjoy running.  Either way, Run, Forrest, Run. 

I still dont think that exercising is the way to lose weight. There are now more gyms and more people exercising than ever before and yet obesity is on the rise.

Fat people are great for the economy, the governemnet want us all to be fat. Thats why they recomend 300 grams of carbs/sugar a day.

Fact of life, if you exercise and eat properly, u will lose weight. If you burn more calories than you take in, it works. If you run 5 miles a day and live on twinkies and potato chips, prob won't help. And you have to be consistent; you need to convince your body that you need your metabolism in high gear.

Wasted CLV said:
Fact of life, if you exercise and eat properly, u will lose weight. If you burn more calories than you take in, it works.

I Believe that the body will just try and maintain energy balance therfefore it will always adjust intake to expenditure and expenditure to intake.

If your fat and all the energy you eat gets stored in the fat cells then energy cant be used for physical activity. Thats why fat people feel lazy and lethargic because they have no energy available. So to maintain an energy balance the body will increase metablosim (contrary to polular belief, fat peoples metablosim is often higher than len people)

If you exercise and create an energy imbalance, the body will increase appetite to make sure you eat and energy balance is restored. Remember "working up an appetite"

Very controversial logic nowadays.

Dude ... "intake" and "expenditure" are entirely up to you. They're called "diet" and "exercise" by most people.

Your "logic" is not controversial, it's just plain wrong.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Dude ... "intake" and "expenditure" are entirely up to you. They're called "diet" and "exercise" by most people.

Your "logic" is not controversial, it's just plain wrong.

If it was that simple then we wouldn't have fat people. Weight gain or weight loss cant just come down to intake and exenditure, hormones mut play a major role.

Hormones probably do play a minor role (not major). But diet and exercise are the two big ones.

The reason fat people exist is because many fat people don't care for losing weight. They don't watch their diet or do much exercise. It's that simple. Hormones aren't to blame.

True. And it isn't just the quantity of food, but the type. A neal high in veggies and protein, low in carbs will help to burn fat. People that drink lots of soda (full of high fructose corn syrup) won't burn much--that shit puts on the kilograms :)

Well for some people hormones, heredity and such play a big role but that's certainly not an excuse for America's weight problems.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Hormones probably do play a minor role (not major). But diet and exercise are the two big ones.

The reason fat people exist is because many fat people don't care for losing weight. They don't watch their diet or do much exercise. It's that simple. Hormones aren't to blame.

I will agree with you that diet is a major part but hormones play a major role. Its why women will put weight on when they go through the menopause due to a change in hormones, thats why they need hormone replacement therapy.

Exercise is great, I like to exercise myself. It has many benefits. Srrength training imo is the best form of exercise, it teaches you technique and can improve power, stability, self confidence, posture and strength. And you can never really be too strong. I just see inactivity as an effect of obesty not a cause.

A good diet is a diet that contains quality sources of fats, proteins, vitamins aand minerals. I would reccomend a diet with lots of meat, eggs, fish, butter, nuts, fruit, vegetables and try and limit poor quality sugars ad starches.

But do the goverment even want to solve obesity ?

Babo 91 said:
I just see inactivity as an effect of obesty not a cause.

... well then...

Babo 91 said:
But do the goverment even want to solve obesity ?

Solve obesity? Do you mean "solve the obesity problem"?

And I agree with SMX, who says it's the government's job? It's our job to keep fit. Everybody tries to blame other people for their weight problems.

Also, we see McDonalds being forced to advertise an active lifestyle because they are advertising to kids. So what? Parents need to take responsibility for their fat and stupid kids instead of blaming McDonalds and their school systems.

Have you ever wondered why rice, bread, pasta, potatoes, beans, ground beef (not the 90% lean) and some fast foods are inexpensive?  It makes me mad.  Why?  Because when you don't have the money to buy the more healthier items like lean meats and fresh veggies and REAL fruit jucie and you have a family of 5 to feed your only option is to buy all the inexpensive items.  Those things last longer plus when that's all you have to spend, what else can you do?  I wonder if lean meats and all the good stuff for you were cheap and all the bad stuff was expensive if there would be a difference?  Ten bucks for a Big Mac meal?  The salads at Mickey dees cost more than a fat burger meal.  It's crazy when you start to think about it.  I always try and eat healthy but damn it's f***ing expensive!!!  Working out can be expensive as well.  Lets face it.....if your poor you will have poor health regardless if your fat or thin.  If you are rich you can pay someone to make you thin!  Money talks and Bullshit walks.  Just saying.

As someone who could shed a few lbs (or a few kilos, for those who don't live in God's country) myself, I can pinpoint with precision the root causes of obesity.  They are:

1. Coca-Cola
2. In-N-Out burgers
3. Snickers
4. The fact that nos. 1-3 taste so goddamn good.
5.  And, to Char's point, the fact that nos. 1-3 are so goddamn inexpensive -- at least in the U.S. (come on, Europe, a six-pack of Coke should only be about 3 or 4 dollars, get with the program)

Back