Face in the Sand

How good is Face in the Sand on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'face In The Sand'

Regarding the title, I obviously don't know exactly what was oging through Bruce's head when he wrote it, but here's a likely possibility that no one has considered. It is related to the face-on-mars idea, but doesn't rely on crazy superstitions and pseudo-science. The idea is, of course, that all that our civilization has built will one day crumble to the ground and be buried in the sand. Why face in the sand as opposed to, say, books, buildings or subway stations (or anything else we have built) in the sand? Because of the following well-known poem by Percy Bysse Shelly:

I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

The image is haunting and, of course, exactly the image that I think Bruce was trying to convey in the song. Here you have a statue whose face is half-buried in the sand with an inscription proclaiming the unlimited and eternal power of the King who is the subject of the statue. "Look on my works and despair!" he boasts. But around him, nothing of his great empire, nothing that testifies to his once great power remains but his face, half-buried in the sand.

'face In The Sand'

This is not an in depth analysis of this song, it is a question. i was wondering if Maiden released this as a single or something as I found these images whilst casually browsing:
[a href=\'http://www.ironmaiden.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5214&stc=1\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.ironmaiden.org/attachment.php?a...ntid=5214&stc=1[/a]
[a href=\'http://www.ironmaiden.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5215&stc=1\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.ironmaiden.org/attachment.php?a...ntid=5215&stc=1[/a]
The Commentary doesn't mention it so i think it may be think but does anybody know any better?

'face In The Sand'

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Jan 27 2006, 10:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Jan 27 2006, 10:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The Commentary doesn't mention it so i think it may be think
[snapback]127923[/snapback]​
[/quote]
[!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway, this was a hoax. Don't always trust what you find on the IMBB... Actually NEVER trust anything on the IMBB unless someone from the MaidenFans board wrote it (except if it's from Metalkboyken, Fuzzboy, or a few other annoying bastards from the MFBB). [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'face In The Sand'

Find out more in [a href=\'http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?showtopic=8877\' target=\'_blank\']this thread[/a].

'face In The Sand'

Hello !
I just want to say that, in my humble opinion that "Face in the sand" is one of the best songs from Maiden
It´s a shame that I never saw it live, although, some british girl told me that they played it live in the UK once.
If that is true, I can´t tell.
But i really would love to sing it along with Bruce.
Unfortunatelly, I guess that it will never happen.
I still think that "Face in the sand" along with "The Journeyman" are a proof of the perfection and high quality
of Maiden´s music and Steve Harris´s commitment to his work
Words can´t say how much I like that song, but my cd player can.
Sorry for my bad english.
Thanks.

'face In The Sand'

'Face In The Sand' was never played live at any venue in the UK or anywhere else.

Re: 'Face In The Sand'

this is the only Maiden song that made me cry everytime i've listen to it, not to mention its emotion-packed guitar solo by H! .. being ignored by the band when it come to live rendition, this song is criminally underrated!!!

Daily Song: Face in the Sand

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Face in the Sand

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This song has a different sound from pretty much any other Maiden song. It has a loose, "floaty" sound. Nick pounds out the bass on this one, but no matter how hard he tries, he can't make this bit of experimentation sound good. 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: Face in the Sand

Again a very captivating intro. The problem of this song I find the last couple of minutes in which certain parts are repeated too often. The total result I find too monotonous, really.

The intro and the solo save it a bit.

It does get a bit monotonous towards the end, but for some reason, that does not really disturb me. I always have very precise images before my eyes when I hear this song, and the entire song transmits a very gloomy mood, which is in fact even emphasised by the monotony (is that really a word?) towards the end. Looking back, I think this would have been a great song to end the album on, as it has a very apocalyptic feel that is of course enhanced by the great lyrics. I guess it does float a bit too much and is lacking the punch a bit, so it's not among their very best. Maybe it would have been more powerful if Nicko would have disposed of the double-bass... I always think that takes the power out of the music for some reason. 8/10.

'Face In The Sand' is a song I'd really like to hear live. Although Bruce is way too low in the mix it deserves a 10/10 rating. The chorus and the guitar solo are awesome. This song is quite different to anything else they've done before and after.

This is a really great song. The intro is one of the Maiden's best, and the rest of the song flows really well. I can't help but be reminded of These Colours Don't Run when I hear this. I also think it is a shame that they can't play it live. 8/10

Fantastic song with a  great intro. Its only fault is horrible production. 9/10.

This song is thick with atmosphere. It wallows and meanders in monotony as it is supposed to do. Layer upon layer of disappoint with the world of today. Why would the song go anywhere when the world outside is bleak. Awesome intro, Bruce belts out his message, Adrian delivers a sonic sounding solo. full score. 10.

The brilliant intro is, unfortunately, not sustained, — despite an awe-inspiring turn by Nicko. Huge, over-the-top and lyrically depressing, it’s a song I like more from a critical perspective than for my own personal enjoyment. Six.

10. Wonderful, visceral lyrics, there's a orchestral and erudite quality to FITS that is unique, superb. Adrian's solo and that semi erudite Dave lick are very powerful. An atmospheric song which paints a very sad, but real picture in the mind. Pity that Nicko wouldn't keep up the double pedal for the live performance, 'cos it'd be certainly a highlight.

NightProwler666 said:
Fantastic song with a  great intro. Its only fault is horrible production. 9/10.

I used to have this as the best track on the album after a few listens to it - now, it ranks a little lower. 8/10.

Back