1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Face in the Sand

Discussion in 'Dance Of Death' started by Anonymous, Mar 20, 2004.

?

How good is Face in the Sand on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

18.8%
  2. 9

15.6%
  3. 8

31.3%
  4. 7

12.5%
  5. 6

12.5%
  6. 5

6.3%
  7. 4

3.1%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Very powerful song. I love the way this one builds up, can't think of any other Maiden song like it in that regard. The intro is very beautiful and really works perfectly immediately after Paschendale. Once this song gets heavy it's relentless. Love all the vocal melodies and riffing underneath. Very dramatic stuff. They also take a page out of Dream Theater's playbook with the classic "chorus tease" (verse - pre chorus - verse - pre chorus - chorus). It works perfectly here and the chorus is one of my favorites. Love when it comes down a bit for the instrumental section. Great soloing.

This would've been great on the live stage. I suppose if it wasn't for the double bass pedal they probably would've played it. Too bad.

2. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

It's fine, but I've never been a fan of it. It feels forgettable from the moment you hear it - but that might be due to its placement on the album, too. That Paschendale is a tough act to follow.

3. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

The song never quite lives up to the power of the intro. The strings and bass pedal combo is pretty awesome. But the orchestral sound is a bit high up in the mix and Bruce sounds a bit Fear of the Dark-y. But then again the chorus is a cracker. A real mixed bag.

4. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

8/10

Face in the Sand takes the moody darkness a step further with a brilliant and brooding two-minute intro. It’s the most epic intro the band has ever written and Nicko finally uses a double bass pedal (this time it’s confirmed!). The rest of the song, however, never truly recaptures the brilliance of the intro. Bruce turns his Air Raid Siren up full blast on almost every note and I’d be lying if I didn’t say it gets a little grating by songs end. That said, the song is still quite cool and heavy. A good, workmanlike latter-album tune.

5. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

One of the album's true gems, it's not perfect but compared to 90% of the album it's tops. A strong 8/10.

6. Poto

Poto Ancient Mariner

One of Maiden's most special songs. The atmosphere is very special in this song, in particular the first two minutes. Nicko drives this song forward with his drumming.

9/10