Ever notice how Steve doesn’t write “riffs” anymore?

It is a shame they do not let H compose with drop D tuning. I think this is what he used in his latest solo outing,right?? Great riffs there indeed.
You had a song composed in drop D on TBOS. IESF. But that's as far as Maiden will dive in Drop-D at the moment.

H is even playing less and less old songs in drop D that he used to nowadays. Only the obvious ones are still in that tuning.

You had a song composed in drop D on TBOS. IESF. But that's as far as Maiden will dive in Drop-D at the moment.

H is even playing less and less old songs in drop D that he used to nowadays. Only the obvious ones are still in that tuning.
I bet Steve didn’t tune down for it. Would be weird if he did

Well yes. But it wasn't H's song.

But what was the tuning he used on the Primal Rock Rebellion project?

It is a shame they do not let H compose with drop D tuning. I think this is what he used in his latest solo outing,right?? Great riffs there indeed.

drop d is for nu-metal monkies who can only play with one finger

H has written some fantastic riffs in standard tuning throughout the years...
Oh yes he did. He is the riff master in Maiden. I just thing that nowadays modern playing seems to work better for him. Like he did in Bruce's and his own solo material.

Probably been read by everyone here before, but I came across an interview with the band about the Book of Souls album. I thought this comment from Steve was interesting, given this discussion:

"There’s a fast-flowing riff on the track The Book Of Souls that is actually quite similar to Losfer Words. But I wrote Losfer Words, and it was Janick who wrote that fast riff in The Book Of Souls, so I thought, it doesn’t matter. If I didn’t write it, it’s not like I’m repeating myself. Janick didn’t realize it sounded similar because he wasn’t in the band when we did Powerslave. And you know, the two riffs aren’t exactly the same. The new one is in a different key and the notes are slightly different, but it has a similar feel, let’s put it that way. But you can’t get bogged down with stuff like that. And really, why shouldn’t we sound a bit like our old selves a bit?"

Interesting that he had doubts about a similar sounding riff that Janick wrote, but doesn't seem to have any concerns about similar (or the exact same) music that he writes himself. :rolleyes:

(Source: https://www.loudersound.com/features/teamrock-exclusive-iron-maiden-how-we-made-book-of-souls )

Steve Harris is unsurpassed as a songwriter ! Sometimes, I wonder how a human can write such an amazing songs... he has written some of the best songs ever (not only in the heavy metal and rock genre): POTO, HBTN, ROTAM.... :notworthy:

Steve Harris is unsurpassed as a songwriter ! Sometimes, I wonder how a human can write such an amazing songs... he has written some of the best songs ever (not only in the heavy metal and rock genre): POTO, HBTN, ROTAM.... :notworthy:
But he even wrote and co-wrote some of the worst songs in Iron Maiden's repertoire according to the official maidenfans rankings: The Apparition, Weekend Warrior, The Angel and the Gambler...

Back