Ever notice how Steve doesn’t write “riffs” anymore?

Back on topic, Maiden have never really had iconic riffs if you rule out guitar melody lines. You know what I mean, riffs like AC/DC or Black Sabbath produce. They've always been about the complete song rather than a Whole Lotta Love or Smoke on the Water style riff.

True. They were never a riff-based band, although Adrian came up with some great ones.

Back on topic, Maiden have never really had iconic riffs if you rule out guitar melody lines. You know what I mean, riffs like AC/DC or Black Sabbath produce. They've always been about the complete song rather than a Whole Lotta Love or Smoke on the Water style riff.
That is very true.

I mean they have had some riff based songs like prisoner, two minutes and more recently breeg.

But I think it tells you that they’re not a guitar riff heavy band when the breeg song felt genuinely surprising and different.

As a bassplayer I prefer maidens sound and style to the more riff based songs. As you can always hear Steve rumbling along even if it’s just a root note under the melody. You wouldn’t hear him in bands like Metallica as he follows the chugging between the open strings and the frets on the E.

some riff based songs like prisoner, two minutes and more recently breeg.
There are others, like Back in the Village, Purgatory, Prophecy, SIASL, SoM, Starblind, Lord of Light, TBoS (off the top of my head)
But non-riff songs are definitely more famous

Longest day has an abysmal chorus
The chorus of "The Clansman" is just Blaze bellowing a single word on a single note over and over again while they play "Losfer Words" on top of him and the shitty production causes loud crackling in the audio.

The chorus of "The Longest Day" isn't as good as the pre-chorus, but the pre-chorus is absolutely stunning. The chorus is merely good. That doesn't ruin anything for me.

I beg to differ. IMHO, Virtual XI is for the most part a pile of shit and the British Lion album is pretty poor.
I always find it odd: reading such deeply negative phrases about a release of their favourite artist.
O wait, Iron Maiden is not your favourite artist, it's Bruce Dickinson isn't it?

In such strong terms: mostly people who do not have Iron Maiden as their favourite artist.

(And disliking does not exactly carry the same weight as "pile of shit"?)

I always find it odd: reading such deeply negative phrases about a release of their favourite artist.
O wait, Iron Maiden is not your favourite artist, it's Bruce Dickinson isn't it?

Pathetic attempt at sarcasm. Try harder next time. :D

On a related note, Iron Maiden is, and has always been since I became a fan, my favourite band. That does not mean that I have to blindly like whatever they release and Virtual XI is a really poor album as far as I am concerned.

In such strong terms: mostly people who do not have Iron Maiden as their favourite artist.

(And disliking does not exactly carry the same weight as "pile of shit"?)

I probably would not use such harsh terms if they weren't my favourite band, hitting rock bottom with such release.

It is a shame they do not let H compose with drop D tuning. I think this is what he used in his latest solo outing,right?? Great riffs there indeed.

Back