European Politics

TheMercenary

Ancient Mariner
A video released in 1974 already predicted what is happening today with the lack of fuel, electricity, etc... :oops:

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
I mean 1974 was pretty prime energy crisis, so yes, it makes sense that there was a video made that day that projected that the energy crisis would intensify. The reasonings aren't entirely different, either - trusting in potentially hostile foreign powers to produce energy, and then having that energy interrupted by war. In this case, it was an actual decision by a hostile power to turn off the taps, which is going to greatly encourage Europe especially to diversify energy sources. But boy in the short term is it going to stink.

Brigantium

General of the Dark Army
Staff member
Then there's the rest, too, though. Production of gas allegedly slowing down due to reduced demand from businesses during the various lockdowns, and the sudden post-lockdown demand outstripping supply. And maybe just producers milking the situation for all it's worth. It bugs me that so much is being said about the effect of the war in Ukraine on prices here, when the first energy price cap rise was actually proposed before that.

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Was that in the UK, the energy price cap? Because I hadn't heard of it at all until well after.

Of course, the UK is in an entirely different boat due to exiting a massive common market.