European Politics

I did say I don't mean the forum, nor particularly you although it was a comment to your post. I had no idea the SD "have historically expressed admiration for the policies of Adolf Hitler Nazis"; if that's the case, my comment was obviously missing the point.
I want to take some time to do some research, but essentially SD was founded as the direct successor to an openly fascist party merged with a group of neo-Nazis under a name that translates to "Keep Sweden Swedish". Both groups had anti-Semetic and anti-Arab/African policy statements and there were multiple high-level members who were part of various neo-Nazi movements. This is 1995, not 1955.

Openly anti-semitic fascist is a nazi. Fascism in theory refrains from in-depth racial differentiation and concentrates on extreme nationalism instead. In my book fascists are just one step below full Nazi, where the thought train goes, "you know what, I'm not even going to bother forceful assimilation of the group X,Y,Z, just wipe them out". Anyways this is my pretext for conclusion that both integral wings of that SD are basically nazi.

Maybe the most significant thing to note is that populism (or populist/anti-establishment sentiment, rather than actual willingness to take responsibility for anything) is most often a theme with these further-right political movements, and is a major part of their appeal. Of course, people who feel they're at the bottom of the pile and being crapped on are also susceptible to any movement that promotes the idea that a minority who are traditionally even more shat-upon are being unfairly and unjustly given a better deal than them.

Our dear World Cup fan favourite president did an interview for a German paper. She was asked about rising nationalism in her country. She said nationalism is not on the rise, which is technically correct but more on that later, there are some fringe groups on the right and left tho, she said. Asked about communism, she said she hated it thoroughly and all she wanted was to get out. She said you weren't able to say "I'm a Croat", and she hated registering for bread rations, and she hated the default yogurt on the shelf because there was no alternative.

Let's analyze this bit by bit.

There is no rise of nationalism because there isn't, that's correct. What is heavily on the rise is historical revisionism which these nationalists approve of. Every statement written afterwards is a lie so bad it puts Baldricks cunning plans to shame. Not only that everyone is able to check the historical censuses, not only that everyone is able to see statistics about food output and yogurt distribution if they're so keen on it, but she goes full what-the-fuck with bread rations. You see, not only that SFRY was just a south-slavic nationalist state by then, with an audio-visual commie theme applied to it like it were a custom Firefox installation, those who were favoured by the system, and by no means a small group of people it was, had basically all the freedoms of the free world including commodities and access to foreign market. Just need cash, and for cash you need a Commie Party a-men. And that fucking liar was in that group of people.

Of all the people that system done wrong, she gets to talk about it and lie in such manner that distorts the truth and does no justice for the true victims. Next time around when another wind blows, she'll change her story in a blink of an eye. Without ever thinking what kind of consequences these public performances have.

There's a commemorative plaque in my city about a bunch of young brave lads who went into resistance, and got caught and executed by the Nazis. It's placed in a bit of a shoddy neighborhood and gets routinely hit by hammers and such during the night, cause there's a lot of people roaming around that somehow believe it wasn't the resistance, it was Nazis who liberated us. I won't even go into dissecting how and why. I don't care about failed systems and projects from the 19th century but this kind of behaviour should not be acceptable.

Maybe the most significant thing to note is that populism (or populist/anti-establishment sentiment, rather than actual willingness to take responsibility for anything) is most often a theme with these further-right political movements, and is a major part of their appeal. Of course, people who feel they're at the bottom of the pile and being crapped on are also susceptible to any movement that promotes the idea that a minority who are traditionally even more shat-upon are being unfairly and unjustly given a better deal than them.

A friend of mine who is more in the know of European politics than I and is center-right while I am center-left, told me that many European countries are circling the wagons. Hungary, Germany, Italy and Sweden to name a few are seeing a rise in far-right and flat out neo-Nazi groups mainly on the strength of anti-immigration rhetoric. Now, I know Italy is mainly, because they are full, they stated being unable to take any more refugees due to the strain they are under, but Germany and Sweden is due to over-hyped news of immigrant related crimes such as vandalism, theft and even murder. You know, like Trump with his "bad hombres." I haven't followed that as much as he has, but I know someone here will be able to either corroborate or debunk it.

Of course, people who feel they're at the bottom of the pile and being crapped on are also susceptible to any movement that promotes the idea that a minority who are traditionally even more shat-upon are being unfairly and unjustly given a better deal than them.
This reminds me of something I read about Jim Crow, and why southerners, specifically very poor white southerners, switched to supporting the Republicans when the Democrats began their big 1960s social justice/social welfare push, which would have certainly benefited most of those very poor folk. It went something like, "They support the Republicans because the Republicans might not help them, but they don't make them feel bad for saying 'I might be dumb, poor, and inbred, but at least I'm not a n-word.'"

I haven't followed that as much as he has, but I know someone here will be able to either corroborate or debunk it.
I haven't talked about this much, but one of the things I've learned is that many Swedes, at the very least, are truly concerned about the concept of Swedish identity and there is a belief even among otherwise progressive Swedes that their identity is being threatened by the influx of religious and racial minorities. They use words like "they don't necessarily understand us" or "we should not have to change because of newcomers". To me, living in a western nation that has accepted millions and millions of immigrants, even over the course of my life, I find this to be frighteningly racist, but it's my understanding that many average Swedes do not believe this.

In Canada, the idea of new immigrants is not usually as widely decried. There's a rise in anti-immigration populism here, of course, but it's not gaining traction at the same speed as it did in Europe or in the USA. But we very proudly look at the wave of immigrants that came here even in the last 40 years - the Vietnamese and Laotian and Cambodians of the 70s, the Lebanese and Egyptians of the 80s, the Serbians and Croatians and Bosnians of the 90s, the Indians and Pakistanis of the 00s, and now the Syrians and Africans of the 10s. They're all integrating here, and maybe changing Canada a bit, but that's not a bad thing...national identities should be strong enough to entice newcomers to join them and to withstand the change of population. And what I have tried to say, maybe not successfully, to my Swedish family is something along the lines of, "If being Swedish is so great, it will survive a few thousand brown people worshipping a mildly different god. It's only if being Swedish isn't particularly remarkable that you need to worry."

Well Italy isn't in good economic shape lately, I don't think it was in last couple of decades, and for what it's worth the easiest migrant entry points are in the least economically performant regions. And illegal immigration was already high and already a topic of discussion even before. I've also discussed with a friend that they put Italy into a corner situation because what are you exactly going to do with a half-sunk boat full of people. It's a shitty thing for everyone involved, apart from the guy who charges a lot of euros for an access to that death barge.

Maybe it's also due to Canada's particular weather and geography patterns. Three meters of snow might delete whatever remnants of your Mombasa way of life were left. But seriously, a shock factor could even be positive in the long run - Canada looks and works like nothing these people seen at home while Germany (and France and Italy) did have some small amount of non-integrated muslims even before, a new immigrant could grow himself into. You know, even if you aren't fully open to "integration" you don't want to be outcast by your own people in that country. And if they're integrated like a native is, then they will do so. The smaller the group of ill-adapted people of your culture in a place, the lower the resistance to reality and integration.

For instance, a lot of Canadian Croats have turned their back on financing the motherland even in basic investments, since years and years ago. Some of them are fierce nationalists. But it turned out that these people were used to another business school of thought which doesn't include bribery, nepotism and corruption. I imagine they don't tolerate it at home either and would expel anyone from their circle regardless of the nationality.

I initially wrote a more basic response, but this is a touchy subject and requires a more in-depth response.

I've learned is that many Swedes, at the very least, are truly concerned about the concept of Swedish identity and there is a belief even among otherwise progressive Swedes that their identity is being threatened by the influx of religious and racial minorities. They use words like "they don't necessarily understand us" or "we should not have to change because of newcomers". To me, living in a western nation that has accepted millions and millions of immigrants, even over the course of my life, I find this to be frighteningly racist.

It should tell you something that even otherwise progressive people are concerned about it. The opinion of actual racists aren't worthy of taking into account in a logical conversation, but the opinions of moderate people are. Their concerns are legitimate. Honestly, I find it surprising that not only do you find such a mild remark like "they don't necessarily understand us" racist, but you find it frighteningly racist. That's quite a level headed response to a disatrous situation.

In Canada, the idea of new immigrants is not usually as widely decried. There's a rise in anti-immigration populism here, of course, but it's not gaining traction at the same speed as it did in Europe or in the USA. But we very proudly look at the wave of immigrants that came here even in the last 40 years - the Vietnamese and Laotian and Cambodians of the 70s, the Lebanese and Egyptians of the 80s, the Serbians and Croatians and Bosnians of the 90s, the Indians and Pakistanis of the 00s, and now the Syrians and Africans of the 10s.

There's a difference between the immigrant situation in Canada and the one in Sweden. Muslims only make up about 3% of Canada's population, while it makes up about 10% of Sweden's population. That's a sizable gap. Behaviours of Muslim minorities have a more profound influence on Swedes' views of immigrants.

They're all integrating here, and maybe changing Canada a bit, but that's not a bad thing...national identities should be strong enough to entice newcomers to join them and to withstand the change of population.

I don't buy this. Non-integration is a massive problem when immigration happens in heaps. Not to mention the fact that birth rates in emigrating countries are much higher than the ones in the countries they migrate to, which results in higher population growth among minorities in developed countries. This is true both for Sweden and Canada. If mass immigration, high birth rates and non-integration tendencies cross paths, you'll definitely see massive change to the national identity, whatever you take that to mean. This depends on who it is that's doing the migrating. Turkey currently hosts the highest number of refugees in the world, mainly Syrian, Iraqi and Afghan ones. Obviously Muslim refugees would have an easier time integrating into another Muslim country, right? Nope. Their integration has been a total disaster and they've managed to alienate even devout Muslims in the country. Some of them obviously integrate properly, but I can't say they're in the majority. This change of population doesn't even have to be international, intranational population change can cause massive identity changes in locations. There are countless examples I can cite from my country on this.

And what I have tried to say, maybe not successfully, to my Swedish family is something along the lines of, "If being Swedish is so great, it will survive a few thousand brown people worshipping a mildly different god.

And this is where I went, and I apologize in advance for taking a rather smug attitude, "Oh you have no idea". Muslims don't simply "worship a mildly different god". Above everything else, devoutness among Muslims is significantly, and I mean by a cliff, higher than it is among Canadians or Swedes. Canada and Sweden are two of the least religious countries on the planet. There are cultural Muslims the same way there are cultural Christians yes, but the percentages are vastly different. The number of Islamic fundamentalists isn't negligible like the number of Christian fundamentalists are, and this is, again, especially true for countries like Canada and Sweden.

I live in a country with a 90% Muslim population. I've seen as many moderate Muslims as I have devout Muslims so I'm not oblivious to their existence. But the number of fundamentalists is also significantly high. And this is one of the most secular Muslim countries we're talking about, probably the most secular one that's not located in Southeast Asia. And the compatibility of fundamental, even devout Muslims is always going to be problematic for developed Western nations. They're never going to respect LGBT rights. They're never going to respect women's rights. They're never going to respect your pubs and they sure as hell won't be for the legalization of marijuana. They won't stop thinking your lack of sexual repression (or modesty, as they call it) is immoral. They won't stop uttering words of repent to themselves when they see a girl in shorts on the street, you just won't hear them. They're never going to stop thinking you're immoral. Their motive for being there is opportunity, and only that. There's a reason Turks in Germany, who have been there for decades, vote SDP in Germany and then do victory marches on the streets when Erdoğan wins in Turkey.

Cultural Muslims, moderate Muslims, non-religious people from Muslim countries are not a problem and never will be a problem. But the core of the issue will never be understood until progressives in the West draw a distinction between people in Muslim countries and address the issues without sugarcoating them. It's not racist to be concerned about your safety, and to be concerned about the social progress you have made being disrespected by people who come to your country because you've provided them an opportunity.

Three meters of snow might delete whatever remnants of your Mombasa way of life were left.
You should see what new immigrants look like on the first snowfall of the year...then see what they look like two months later when they realize there's still two months to go.

did have some small amount of non-integrated muslims even before,
We actually have a significant percentage of our population as first generation immigrants, like 18%. There are sizable communities in many cities of most immigrant groups. Some of them do have difficulties integrating (Somalians end up in the news the most, for whatever reason) but most have good-sized communities, be it Indians or Pakistanis or Chinese or Arabic, etc. Croats I know few of personally, but we had a Bosnian family near us when growing up - came over in 95 for some reason - and very, very hard working, and very, very not interested in going home.

I guess only type of snow those poor souls experienced beforehand was that one you get with bad analog TV reception...

Regarding Croatian community a friend born in Canada worked for Oracle as a DBA but wanted to seek another job, so he approached the community organization in hope for some pointer and they told him, "We're working construction 'round here, Serbs hold the IT" so he had to abandon that venue lol

You should see what new immigrants look like on the first snowfall of the year...then see what they look like two months later when they realize there's still two months to go.
Well, that would be the case for people from Southern Norway moving up North as well.

Mid March: "This has been a nice winter, looking forward to spring now"
Six weeks later: "It's May already, won't the bloody snow go away!"

Regarding Croatian community a friend born in Canada worked for Oracle as a DBA but wanted to seek another job, so he approached the community organization in hope for some pointer and they told him, "We're working construction 'round here, Serbs hold the IT" so he had to abandon that venue lol
We're hiring a DBA here right now......

I want to take some time to do some research, but essentially SD was founded as the direct successor to an openly fascist party merged with a group of neo-Nazis under a name that translates to "Keep Sweden Swedish". Both groups had anti-Semetic and anti-Arab/African policy statements and there were multiple high-level members who were part of various neo-Nazi movements. This is 1995, not 1955.
Please don't bother LC, I think I got a reply to my initial "o_O" comment, thanks.
And thank you for your thoughtful comments indeed, @The Flash

We're hiring a DBA here right now......

We worked together in 2011/2, he's currently living on his home island in Croatia, he returned because of then girl now wife. I think you'll have enough candidates that are actually there. But I'll pass him a message on LinkedIn because there's no reason why you shouldn't have his contact for potential future endeavors, he's a good DBA in my opinion.

@LooseCannon , Those are the same things my friend, who is from Vancouver BTW, brings up. I should mention he makes similar remarks which like yourself I find at the very least bigoted, mildly racist at most. Specially him being Canadian. His parents are from the Netherlands and has a strong tie to his past, but still. This idea of "brown, religious minorities are going to wipe us out," to me is just normal human migrations (follow the money), than a plan for world domination.

@Zare , indeed Italy and Spain are not in the best shape economically. The last time I checked on Spain's unemployment rate it was at a 39%. What they don't tell you though, is that it includes refugees and immigrants. If they only took into account Spaniards the rate would be much lower. It's still not doing great, but the numbers are misleading. The unemployment rate in the U.S during the great depression was 25% and yet Spaniards are not lining up at food lines and the like.

@Zare , indeed Italy and Spain are not in the best shape economically. The last time I checked on Spain's unemployment rate it was at a 39%. What they don't tell you though, is that it includes refugees and immigrants. If they only took into account Spaniards the rate would be much lower. It's still not doing great, but the numbers are misleading. The unemployment rate in the U.S during the great depression was 25% and yet Spaniards are not lining up at food lines and the like.

I think your argument here is flawed. Spain has a big problem with structural unemployment and even when the economy was artificially booming thanks to lots of construction work before the big crisis unemployment rate was at around 8%. It went over 26% at the worst of the financial crisis and the figure does not include most immigrants, which for the most part were working under the counter (another of the big problems of the country is its high corruption) and by that time had left the country.

When the economy was going well, a significant number of people from Latin America (mostly), Eastern Europe, and Morocco came to work in Spain: men mostly in the construction sector and women taking care of the elderly/cleaning. They faced overt racism (the derogatory language I heard being used to describe them from people that were allegedly tolerant was quite shocking) but worked hard. Some settled in and decided to stay, becoming citizens or permanent residents. Others, sadly, suffered the crackdown of the Spanish police when the shit hit the fan in 2008 and were terrified to go out of their houses as they would be stopped and deported (to put it mildly, the police would have turned a blind eye previously and suddenly decided to remove them).

Regarding Spaniards lining up at food lines, there was a significant increase in the use of food banks. Many people lost their homes as they could not pay the mortgage and the situation did not look as worse as it was to the outside world because many of these families went back to live with their parents, who stretched their meagre pensions and savings to feed them.

The interesting thing about Spain is that its major populist movement is left-wing rather than right-wing, as in most other European countries.

Back