European Politics

A testament to the country's lazy stereotype is the Montenegrin-Japanese 100 years war. Nothing ever happened.

Seems like Latvia is pushing to remove Russian and other languages from secondary education. This is a bit absurd because only 63% of Latvia are Latvians, in any other case this would be seen as forceful assimilation. But as one guy commented

It is hard to feel sorry for Russians who want to keep their national identity when their country is bigger than Pluto

Yep. But still if the actors were from Balkans there would be shit and sanctions all over the place. Imagine Macedonia doing this to its 1/4 Albanian population (same ratio as Lat-Rus). Oh boy.

Btw. re Sabaton, where's their song about Sutjeska? 130.000 axis + air support against 23.000 partisans, axis failure?

Yep. But still if the actors were from Balkans there would be shit and sanctions all over the place. Imagine Macedonia doing this to its 1/4 Albanian population (same ratio as Lat-Rus). Oh boy.
I wonder if the difference is that the Russians conducted a forceful settlement campaign in Latvia not-so-long ago in order to establish a presence, whereas Albanians have been in the area for a much longer time.

That being said, secondary education is the place for a regional language of import, and Latvia will never not be bordering Russia (unless it is part of Russia again). So this is silly.

The above sentence is incorrect in regards to Albanian population in Macedonia and Kosovo.

I wonder if the difference is that the Russians conducted a forceful settlement campaign in Latvia not-so-long ago in order to establish a presence, whereas Albanians have been in the area for a much longer time.
The Russian Latvians currently going through education are not responsible for this though. Plus it makes perfect sense for Latvians to learn the language of their largest neighbour.

The above sentence is incorrect in regards to Albanian population in Macedonia and Kosovo.
I'm sure I don't know the migratory history of the Albanians, but my impression had been that the populace has been present for longer than 20 years.
Plus it makes perfect sense for Latvians to learn the language of their largest neighbour.
Surely, I said the same thing.

Last week it emerged that Scotland's former First Minster Alex Salmond is being investigated by the Scottish Government for two instances of sexual assault while he was First Minister. Since this came to light he has come out and denied any wrongdoing and is taking the Scottish Government to court over the way the investigation is being handled. Yesterday he resigned from the Scottish National Party while the investigation and legal action are taking place with a view to reapplying once he's cleared his name. In an astonishing turn of events he has also set up a crowdfunding page to cover his legal costs, about £50,000. This is a man who has served as an MP in Westminster, held the position of First Minster for seven years and now works for Russian State TV. Besides all this he is a very wealthy man anyway. What the hell does he think he's doing asking his cheerleaders to pay for his legal costs? What kind of message does this send about sexual misconduct? Any respect I had for the man has gone now that he's trying to crowdfund his legal costs.

It would be hilarious to see how people all around the world donate to the multimillion enterprise. But they would.

What the hell does he think he's doing asking his cheerleaders to pay for his legal costs? What kind of message does this send about sexual misconduct? Any respect I had for the man has gone now that he's trying to crowdfund his legal costs.
I bet this is all about trying to prove how much support he has. He will get the 50k.

He's already got 60k. It only took 12 hours. How much support he has is irrelevant if he is guilty of sexual assault.
Sure, but if you're trying things in the court of public opinion, being able to say "I crowdfunded x thousand pounds" is part of that. I agree that it's disgusting.

Back