European Politics

Re: European Union

That is true-- honestly, they can't know everything about everything, but they know a little bit about more things along those lines than the average citizen can.  We, as voters, know a lot about our specific wants/needs.  The politicians need to know enough about all of those wants/needs to do a 'good' job.  The thing is, we know what is public info, but I think that there is a lot of info 'out there' that we just can't know. 

In France they are about to raise the pension age from 60 to 62, with terribly much protest.
In Holland they are about to raise the pension age from 65 to 67, without terribly much protest.

:)

The difference in attitude, between the Northern/Central countries and -err, allow me to say- the countries where they eat more garlic, is astonishing.

Ha!  Nice line, Foro.

I know that it is always evolving here, but I believe, currently, you can claim Social Security at 62.  Interesting fact, if you claim at 62, you start at a reduced rate, and it stays the same the rest of your life.  If you wait til 65, it is a higher rate for the rest of your life.  I believe that one would have to live more than 20 years to make up the lower difference in claiming at 62.  Its worth it to wait later to claim! 

Also, I think that by the time I retire (in 35ish years!) 70 will be the age to claim.

I think there ought to be some options here as well, like you described, but the minimum age to stop working will rise eventually.

Well, as we progress, most get healthier and live longer lives... and there just isn't enough money for 'younger' retirements.  I don't recall, exactly, what the bracket is, but the US is pretty good about not 'pulling the rug out from under' prospective retirees.  What I mean is, they (the gov't) will typically give people that are so many years close to retirement the option they had been working for, not tell them "oh, sorry, you now have to work another 3-5 years."

Forostar said:

I think there ought to be some options here as well, like you described, but the minimum age to stop working will rise eventually.

Especially as demographics change.

Did anyone catch this piece of news - the former Greek minister of justice has spent 20 MILLION EURO mostly on sex hotlines. "As well as the telephone sex scandal, he is accused of nepotism, accommodating altogether 269 fellow party members and his own children in state-owned companies."

Wow... This is just slightly worse than in Croatia. The German people should be seriously pissed off about giving money to countries like this. Throw them out of the EU, sod 'em. (Yes, I know that EU can't throw anyone out.) Let them sell their own property if they don't have another way to pay their debt.

Today I heard that Spain has even more debt than Greece. That debt is in their houses. Whole Spain owns 2 or 3 houses. Nuts!

Do you mean to say that the Spanish are in danger of losing mortgages on their houses? I didn't quite understand your expression.

Forostar said:
Today I heard that Spain has even more debt than Greece. That debt is in their houses. Whole Spain owns 2 or 3 houses. Nuts!

Oh you people of North, you have so much to learn from the people of South  :P

Holland has Mr Wilders and Germany has Mr Sarrazin.

This man, also member of German central bank and member of parliament, wrote a book which has shot to the top of Germany's sales chart.

In his opinion, "all Jews share a particular gene", and he said that "a large number of Arabs and Turks in this city, who have increased in number as a result of wrong policies, have no productive function other than the fruit and vegetable trade."

Plus:
"The Turks are conquering Germany in the same way the Kosovars conquered Kosovo: through a higher birth rate..."
"..I don't have to acknowledge anyone who lives off the state, rejects this state, doesn't properly take care of the education of his children and constantly produces little girls in headscarves."

If we want to make degradations in racism, this man goes even further than Wilders (the "gene" thing).

I am not saying he is more dangerous than Wilders. Because Sarrazin is right winged on all fronts (what the hell is he doing in SPD party?) where Wilders is right winged on immigrations and such, while having left wing ideas on the social issues, and therefore appeals to more people with his populistic tales.

Still this Sarrazin is selling many books, and before we know it, this fellow could make is own party and the first right extremist party in years might land in parliament.

edit:
For Perun, and others who understand German, check out this TV program. It is a Dutch program but later author Günther Walraff reacts (starting at 05:20).

Sarrazin is currently the hottest topic in the country. He's sparked outcry lots of times, but now that he published his book, even the last person here ought to know him.

I haven't read his book yet, but I'm planning to. Why? Know thine enemies? No. This is going to raise a few eyebrows, but... he's not entirely wrong.

Sarrazin is picking up on a debate that a few social democrats have tried to raise but failed. I said this a number of times, but I live in a borough of Berlin that is notorious for its social problems. It may not be LA, it may not be the banlieus of Paris, but it's still the worst you can get in this country. Simply speaking, it is populated by immigrants and unemployed. And when I say unemployed, I mean people who have lived on welfare all their lives, like their parents and grandparents did. And when I say immigrants, I mean mostly Turks and Arabs who run their Turkish and Arab shops where you get frowned upon when you enter as a German. Who keep their women veiled and behind closed curtains. And occasionally you see some of them in the supermarket queue with bruises all over their face. You see children who are running around the streets at night. You see the poorest of the poor.

What is happening is that Turkish, Arabic, Russian, African and other ghettos are forming. They are still embryonic and small, but they are forming.

I'm not making that up, and I'm not repeating what others said- that is what I see. And it's not only happening in Berlin- it is happening in every major city. Hamburg, Cologne, Frankfurt, you name it.

But, public opinion in this country is dominated by people who do not live here. They live in their suburbs or their well-off boroughs where the immigrants speak flawless German and are fully integrated to society and the tramps disappear at night-time. Where the schools have classes of 25 children maximum only one or two of which are from abroad.

Now the mayor of my borough - a social democrat - said publicly what everybody knows here. That Turkish immigrants keep their daughters from school and that unemployed Germans get drunk on welfare money. It sparked a major outcry - generalisation, racism, generally non-pc. Who cried out? Well, certainly not the people who see these conditions. More like those who live in well-to-do neighbourhoods with no unemployed and their alibi immigrant who runs a multi-cultural bookstore. Sarrazin is picking up on this. I do not agree with his idea of "ethnic genes" and I think he should not have said that, nor do I think he should think that. And he is not completely right on everything else either.

But he is doing an important thing: He is actually sparking necessary debates on immigration policy, and the future and identity of this country. These debates have not been led, because all the politically correct opinion holders are too chicken to test their views. Germany must find out if it wants a future as an immigration country, and if it can support such a future either way. There must be a consensus on how to deal with immigrants who resist integration. It is ridiculous that countries whose identities are based on immigration such as Canada or New Zealand have much stricter regulations than Germany does, a country which already had a dense urban population long before it opened its doors for immigrants.

I am certainly not anti-immigration, and I am certainly not nationalist or nativist. I believe however, that it is helping nobody if we close our eyes before obvious problems. And what is certainly not helping is an attitude where phrases such as "immigrants should learn to speak and read the language of the country they are coming to" are marked as racist, and they are here.

Sarrazin is blunt, tactless and rude. But in the current climate of this country, that is the only way left to make people think. And the best way to fight him is checking to see where he is coming from and remove the breeding ground for his ideas. Quite simply, if that is not done, in five years we'll have more than one of his breed.

What is exactly the identity of Germany? Why is this such an important issue, and why is it important to find this out? Why should a country's identity (if it even exists) have anything to do with immigration/integration?

A nation's identity is important when it comes to dealing with immigrants, simply because the immigrants are supposed to become part of that nation. They are to become part of the population, and part of the people. If we want a Turk to become German or a Turkish-German, we must first know what a German is.
There currently is no identity to Germany. That's a simple, sad fact. The country is still halfway in it's old way of being an ethnically homogeneous nation state, and there still is no proper political or social representation of immigrants, even though some are already in the third generation. What is more, many of the immigrants don't have an interest in that either. It is important to find out how to deal with immigration in the future, because right now it is how I explained it: There is a parallel society made up of mostly Turkish and Arab immigrants who maintain their ultra-conservative values and have no intent of becoming part of the German society. It is important to find a general consensus on how to deal with this: Do we want it to stay the way it is? Do we want a parallel society? Do we want to force integration? We must know what we want before we do it, and knowing what one wants forms an essential part of one's identity.

I understand and agree with most of your words (the point of lack of integration is clear) but would you name me some other countries and describe their identities in relation to dealing with immigrants?

You speak about we, but in every country nationalists would have very different ideas about a country's identity than e.g. people who care for a multicultural society.

Forostar said:
but would you name me some other countries and describe their identities in relation to dealing with immigrants?

Canada for instance. A classical immigration country. It's very roots are based on immigration. If a Canadian doesn't have British or French roots, chances are they are Ukrainian, German, Russian, Italian, Scandinavian or Chinese. Although Toronto and Vancouver have their Chinatowns, you are hard pressed to find a Canadian resident who you couldn't consider "Canadian" in his nationality or identity. The reason being that Canadian immigrants must be fluent in English and at least somewhat versed in French, otherwise he can't become Canadian. I went to school in Canada myself, and I can tell you that much of my classes were made up by Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, Pakistanis and Arabs who had just come to the country- not much different from the situation in parts of Germany. However, all these kids were fluent in English by their third year (that's how I learned English after all!). How come sixth-graders in Germany can't speak proper German yet? Something's wrong there.

Now, I know what you mean. Germany's problems aren't unique. In fact, they are much worse in France and Great Britain. I don't know very much about the Netherlands, but from what I know, I guess they are similar there. But that doesn't mean Germany shouldn't find a way to tackle them.

You speak about we, but in every country nationalists would have very different ideas about a country's identity than e.g. people who care for a multicultural society.

Of course. Radical nationalists are a small minority in Germany, though. And if we find a way to properly deal with immigration and create a working society which immigrants can integrate to, we are removing their breeding ground. A base will always remain, but we also have a base of Communists, a base of spiritualists, and whatnot. In a democratic country, it is enough to create a society the majority of the people can identify with.

Back