European Politics

In reply to comments in the 100K thread:
Adjust for the people who didn't vote in the general but did vote in the referendum. Same people who voted for the SNP are the same ones who voted yes. (IIRC, turnout in Scotland was highest in the UK in the general, but still nothing like the referendum.)
You should have said voters then, not percentage.

In fact, less people voted SNP in this election (1.4 million) compared to who voted Yes in the Independence Referendum (1.6 million). 50% of people who voted in Scotland, in this election, voted SNP; turnout was 71% in Scotland, vs. 66% nationally. I'm not saying you're saying this, but it always worries me when people try to paint the Independence Referendum as a convincing vote to remain part of the UK. Of the available electorate: less than half (~47%) voted No; just over a third (~38%) voted Yes; and ~15% didn't vote. It's never struck me as a great vote of confidence in the Union as it stands.
And by "single issue" voters I mean people who vote based on where they feel for Scotland as a member of the union. SNP's got a lot of reasons to vote for them or against them, but it's fairly evident they have brought together a very solid coalition of Scots on their major policy piece: devolution of powers.
They also spoke a lot about austerity & growth; it wasn't all about further devolution.
Quebec has no EU, no. They are currently a part of NAFTA, though, to which they may not be considered a signatory. NATO, same deal.
Foro's point, I'm guessing, is that in 2016/17 the UK will probably have a vote to leave (or stay in, depending on how you view it) Europe. Nobody in Scotland has any interest in not being in the EU. It will be catastrophic if the Conservative lead government takes the UK (with Scotland) out of the EU.

Last edited:
Cameron is taking a high risk with this vote. Apart from possible Scottish anger, people in the EU will treat the UK differently. Maybe even in advance. E.g. companies will already invest less in the UK. If they can choose they rather look in the direction of EU companies.

Moody's sees UK rating risk if country votes to leave EU
http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0508/699554-uk-election-sterling/

HSBC warns of economic risks of UK pulling out of Europe
http://www.theguardian.com/business...could-leave-uk-over-eu-referendum-uncertainty

EDIT:
Meanwhile:
David Cameron may bring EU referendum forward to 2016

David Cameron is drawing up plans to bring forward an in/out referendum on Britain’s membership of the European Union by a year to 2016 in order to avoid a politically dangerous clash with the French and German elections in 2017.
:scared:

David Cameron may bring EU referendum forward to 2016
David Cameron is drawing up plans to bring forward an in/out referendum on Britain’s membership of the European Union by a year to 2016 in order to avoid a politically dangerous clash with the French and German elections in 2017.
:scared:
It'll be interesting to see, if he does pull it forward, how close it is to the May 2016 Scottish Parliamentary elections; where, you'd guess, the SNP will be aiming for further success & a mandate for another referendum on independence.

What, UK bonds will go from 2% to 2.9%? Markets do not like change, but generally adjust well

I am pretty sure Cameron will use this as good leverage to try to push EU reforms he support

I agree with bearfan. This isn't so much about pulling the UK out of the EU (and indeed, a vote that says yes, but narrowly, to withdraw may not be considered sufficient to withdraw the UK from the EU), and more about threatening the EU that the UK could pull out.

Unsure about whether putting this one here or in the WW2 topic, but:

Putin defends Molotov-Ribbentrop pact

If Putin wants to make a case the West did not treat Germany properly, that is a good argument. The Munich Pact was clearly a disaster and the West could have made more of an effort to ally with the Soviets (Deadly Embrace was an excellent book on the subject)

BUT ... the Nazi-Soviet Pact was nothing more than a land grab on the part of the Soviets with little risk to them. Ask anyone in or around Katyn how great the pact was. Jeez. I know it is frowned upon to say anyone was as bad as the Nazis, but the Soviets were as bad as the Nazis (worse in some ways just because they lasted longer). Putin seems to want to be Stalin light. Pathetic.

BUT ... the Nazi-Soviet Pact was nothing more than a land grab on the part of the Soviets with little risk to them.

That's just wrong, from your sentence it seems that complete pact was about partitioning of Poland.

That's just wrong, from your sentence it seems that complete pact was about partitioning of Poland.
And guarantees that the Germans wouldn't intervene in Soviet annexations in the Baltics...and that they'd stay out of wars in Finland. It was also about trade. But yes, for Stalin, I think the thing it bought him most was the land.

It bought him time, primarily.

Ask anyone in or around Katyn how great the pact was

Don't be absurd. Current Polish opinion strongly favours current Ukraine gov't, and they're rehabilitating Stepan Bandera and his bunch of nazis.
For Poles today he was a fighter against communism which had to forge an alliance with Reich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacres_of_Poles_in_Volhynia_and_Eastern_Galicia

I don't like quantifying crimes but compare those numbers to Katyn massacre and you'll get the idea.
Politics is a bitch and opinions are too. How about I go and ask half of Middle East and South America and Asia what they think about your country? Should I base my opinion on that?

It bought him time, primarily.

Don't be absurd. Current Polish opinion strongly favours current Ukraine gov't, and they're rehabilitating Stepan Bandera and his bunch of nazis.
For Poles today he was a fighter against communism which had to forge an alliance with Reich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacres_of_Poles_in_Volhynia_and_Eastern_Galicia

I don't like quantifying crimes but compare those numbers to Katyn massacre and you'll get the idea.
Politics is a bitch and opinions are too. How about I go and ask half of Middle East and South America and Asia what they think about your country? Should I base my opinion on that?

My point was exactly that ... Polans was a prime target of the Nazi Soviet Pact and I doubt Putin would be all that unhappy carving up/occupying territories outside of Russia now, which is obvious since he has already done it

I'm not Putin so I cannot answer what's he up to. What I can say, is that Crimea is probably the "worst" example of land grab, due to all historical stuff, national mix, and today's geostrategic/political context. E.g. you cannot measure Russian tzar's land grabbing appetite just by the fact that he annexed Crimea. We'll get that answer in near future when we see how Donetsk/Lugansk area crisis ends.

@Night Prowler , AFAIK Chetniks were rehabilitated ages ago, so this is a "logical conclusion".

Originally, this was called European Union, a bit wider term than the current. I doubt if I can post the following here (or in Visual Arts, but other musea are not always art musea). It's something "European", but opening a new topic would be too much I guess.

- - -
The European Museum of the Year Award 2015 goes to Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The museum received the EMYA trophy The Egg, by Henry Moore, which it will keep for one year.

This world-famous museum was closed for almost a decade to allow for a complete overhaul of the building, which enabled the creation of new concourse spaces, much better visitor services and circulation. The stunning restoration of original wall-paintings, the elegant rehang of its world-famous paintings, the Museum’s new historic galleries which integrate all the collections, a new Asian Art pavilion and a new medieval gallery: all celebrate the range and depth of the Museum’s collections vividly. The renewed Rijksmuseum offers impressive multilingual guidance to its visitors, witty and thought-provoking interventions in the galleries, and a state-of-the-art website for virtual visitors. Not immediately obvious to the visitor are the museum’s diverse educational and outreach programmes. The ambition to “reach every child in the Netherlands by the age of twelve” is notable, impressive and achievable. This is a great museum, at the height of its powers, providing a rich experience to the public, and a socially aware outreach programme for visitors of all ages.

Nominations:
European Museum of the Year 2015 Award – Nominations

Alpinarium Galtür Documentation GmbH, Galtür, Austria

Vorarlberg museum , Vorarlberg, Austria

Maiden Tower, Baku, Azerbaijan

Museum on the Yser, Diksmuide, Belgium

Red Star Line Museum, Antwerpen, Belgium

Faust Vrančić Memorial Centre, Prvić Luka, Croatia

Danish Maritime Museum, Helsingør, Denmark

Forssa Museum, Forssa, Finland

The Finnish Nature Centre Haltia , Espoo, Finland

Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilisations, Marseille, France

MuPop, Montluçon, France

The Familistère at Guise, Guise, France

"Wind Force 10" Shipwreck and Fisheries Museum, Cuxhaven, Germany

LIMESEUM at Ruffenhofen Roman Park, Wittelshofen, Germany

Kaufbeuren Museum of Local History , Kaufbeuren, Germany

State Museum of Egyptian Art, Munich, Munich, Germany

Tchoban Foundation. Museum for Architectural Drawing, Berlin, Germany

Byzantine and Christian Museum, Athens, Greece

MUSE – Science Museum, Trento, Italy

The Fram Museum, Oslo, Norway

National Maritime Museum, Gdansk, Poland

Perm Regional Museum: Museum of Permian Antiquities, Perm, R

Federal State-Financed Institution of Culture The State Historical Museum, Moscow, R

Center for Culture "Vuk Karadzic", Cultural institution of national importance, Trsic, Loznica, Serbia

National Museum in Zrenjanin, Zrenjanin, Serbia

Ene.térmica , LEÓN, Spain

VINSEUM, Museum of the Wine Cultures of Catalonia, Vilafranca del Penedès, Spain

Naval Museum, Karlskrona, Sweden

Sasso San Gottardo, Airolo, Switzerland

Swiss National Museum – Château de Prangins, Prangins, Switzerland

Watch Museum – Joux Valley, Le Sentier, Switzerland

International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum, Geneva, Switzerland

The Olympic Museum, Lausanne, Switzerland

National Archives of the Netherlands , The Hague, Netherlands

Portuguese Synagogue and Ets Haim- Livraria Montezinos, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, Netherlands

The Dutch Resistance Museum , Amsterdam, Netherlands

Aydın Archaeology Museum, Aydin, Turkey

Pavlo Tychyna Literary Memorial Museum-Apartment, Kiev, Ukraine

National Football Museum, Manchester, United Kingdom

Mary Rose Museum, Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Titanic Belfast, Belfast, United Kingdom
- - -

Unfortunately, with most popular museums this one is very crowded. And when I am in Amsterdam I like to do other stuff as well. So, I've been there a few times -also with a few friends from this forum!- but hardly long enough to take enough time. Time...... is not always on my side.

Have you been to any of these (see below)?

Previous winners:
1977: Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust, Ironbridge, United Kingdom
1978: Schloss Rheydt Municipal Museum, Mönchengladbach, Germany
1979: Museum of the Camargue, Arles, France
1980: Catharine Convent State Museum, Utrecht, Netherlands
1981: Folk Art Museum, Nafplion, Greece
1982: Museum of Art and History, Saint-Denis, France
1983: Regional Museum (Museum Sarganserland), Sargans, Switzerland
1984: Zuiderzee Museum, Enkhuizen, Netherlands
1987: Beamish: North of England Open Air Museum, Stanley, United Kingdom
1988: Brandts Klaedefabrik, Odense, Denmark
1989: Bundsvall Museum, Sundsvall, Sweden
1990: Ecomuseum of the Fourmies-Trélon Region, Fourmies, France
1991: Leventis Museum of Nicosia, Nicosia, Cyprus
1992: State Museum of Technology and Work, Mannheim, Germany
1993: Alta Museum, Alta, Norway
1994: National Museum of Denmark, Copenhagen, Denmark
1995: The Olympic Museum, Lausanne, Switzerland
1996: Museum of the Romanian Peasant, Bucharest, Romania
1997: Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, Ankara, Turkey
1998: The Conservation Centre, Liverpool, United Kingdom
1999: Musée Français de la Carte à Jouer, Issy-les-Moulineaux, France
2000: Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, Bilbao, Spain
2001: National Railway Museum, York, United Kingdom
2002: Chester Beatty Library, Dublin, Ireland
2003: Victoria and Albert Museum: British Galleries, London, United Kingdom
2004: MARQ, Archaeological Museum of Alicante, Spain
2005: The National Heritage Museum, Arnhem, Netherlands
2006: CosmoCaixa, Barcelona, Spain
2007: German Emigration Center, Bremerhaven, Germany
2008: Kumu Art Museum, Tallinn, Estonia
2009: Salzburg Museum, Salzburg, Austria
2010: Ozeaneum, Stralsund, Germany
2011: The Gallo-Roman Museum, Tongeren, Belgium
2012: Madinat al-Zahra Museum, Cordoba, Spain
2013: Riverside Museum: Scotland’s Museum of Transport and Travel, Glasgow, United Kingdom
2014: Museum of Innocence, Istanbul, Turkey

Last edited:
It returns a "404 not found" page. I've actually never been to Istanbul. Well I have but it was just for the Maiden show in '11 and I went back the same day I arrived.

That's odd, for me it doesn't block. Perhaps this is blocked in your country because of the content (now it's getting political ;) ). I'll copy it for you:

Main Award
The European Museum of the Year Award 2014 goes to the Museum of Innocence, Istanbul, Turkey.
The Museum of Innocence can be seen simply as a historical museum of Istanbul life in the second half of 20th century. It is also, however, a museum created by writer Orhan Pamuk as an integral, object-based version of the fictional love story of his novel of the same name. The Museum of Innocence is meant as a small and personal, local and sustainable model for new museum development. The Museum of Innocence inspires and establishes innovative, new paradigms for the museum sector.

This museum fulfils to the highest degree the notion of “public quality”, from the point of view both of heritage and of the public. The museum has received a trophy: The Egg by Henry Moore, which it will keep for one year.
7854c5f8-ce0a-4f5f-865b-bd4aa8d0d857.jpg

Back